Umm... Any Asexual Christians out there?

goldboy44

I'm a christian, I'm not judeging, just curious. I love everybody!!!!

So am I.

There was a thread before, maybe a year ago, asking who is both Christian and asexual. There were quite a few people who responded to that thread and said they fall into that category.

There have also been debates at times about whether 1 Corinthians 7:7-8 refers to asexuality or the gift of celibacy. I would say, as a Christian, that it refers to the gift of celibacy. However, I think that someone with a genuine gift of celibacy would be much like an asexual, and could consider him/herself that if he/she wants to.

Of course there's overlap, and not all things are clear-cut. Some people who feel called to celibacy and believe they have the gift of celibacy do consider themselves to be definitely heterosexual. Some asexuals are not celibate, engaging in sex to please a partner, for example. Some asexuals, though not all, also masturbate, therefore engaging in sexual sin - which would keep them from being considered genuinely celibate. (There's a difference between being just technically celibate versus being genuinely celibate.)

I consider myself to be both asexual and celibate, as well as Christian.

theimpossiblek

Me too. I have a question for other Christian or religious asexuals tho- do you think that being taught celibacy outside of marriage had an affect on "coming out" as an asexual? I'm curious, because it seems like it could be potentially confusing- that is, figuring out whether you don't experience sexual attraction or you just have the "gift of celibacy"...

I'm a Christian too and I don't think that has anything to do with being asexual or not. I was taught (or understood it to be) that sex was for procreating and I really wish everyone thought that way and if you weren't interested in making babies then you didn't have to bother with the sex crap.

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

My parents raised me as a Christian [Roman Catholic], and i was forced to go to church every Sunday,

and i went to a Catholic primary and high school, but it never heavily affected the way i felt about sex though..

I changed my religious beliefs later in life due to personal reasons.

I'm a Christian, and as usual I refuse to be put in a box. I consider myself a true fundamentalist, meaning I believe in a very literal translation of the Bible, not that I'm one of the proselytizing indoctrinated ministers preaching intolerance of everyone who is not like me. I'm smart enough to realize I may be wrong, and even if I'm not I still may not have all the answers. I don't use any particular translation because I try not to translate. I have a Strong's Concordance and when in doubt I look up te original languages and see what he Bible really says, not what someone wants me to think it says.

I attended two churches growing up: a big scary one which was C of E and a Methodist (I think) one. I've also attended several URC sermons for my Explorer Scouts something something.

I don't remember sex being discussed though.

BeautifulObsession

I'm a christian and asexual. I find that they go easily hand in hand. As a christian I never want to sleep with someone before marriage. As an Asexual I never want to sleep with anyone. As me I never want to get married. It works, and it frees me up from *some* of the craziness that relationships involve and I can focus on the thing that matters- Jesus!

Chocolatelover18

ME! :D

I love Jesus with all my heart.

And I agree with others who said that asexuality goes hand in hand with my beliefs because as a christian I want to honor God by not having sex before marriage, which isn't a problem because of the obvious.

I was raised Christian. I've got about half a dozen preachers in my family that between them have, if I was told right, started or ran about 100 churches / revivals / whatever around the country over the last 100 years or so. They don't know I'm asexual, but they're big believers in the "wait until you're married at all costs" and "wait for the right one" things. I think this is why my asexuality isn't as big an issue with my family as it seems to be with others.

As a christian I never want to sleep with someone before marriage.

I did an interesting study on that, on the fornication verses in the Bible, that actually changed the doctrine of a conservative church. It turns out the Biblical definition of "fornication" doesn't mean "premarital sex", but "sexual idolatry", or putting sex ahead of your love for God. If you love God with all your heart all the time you can't commit fornication.

metalgirl2045

Given the amount of "no sex before marriage" stuff I got from local churches, and how much more common abstinence only sex ed is in America, I'm surprised that people in the UK and America have so much trouble convincing people they're not sexually active if unmarried. Despite being a non-Christian, being somewhat repulsed by very casual sex I do to some extent identify with the attitude of people who don't want sex before marriage (but trying to enforce it on others is another matter). Maybe "I'm a devout Catholic who will only have sex within marriage for children" is what asexuals should say if their doctor is bugging them about contraception!

I love Jesus. I think he was kind of amazing. However, I am far from a literalist with the Bible and I often find it embarrassing to be put in a group with certain people who call themselves "Christians." Call me crazy, but hate is not a family value. But enough about my dislikes of it. I don't have a religion, I have a faith. And I very much so believe that Jesus had an amazing message. I don't believe in everything, because much of it gets in the way of what I've taken out of the faith, which is "Love and acceptance of others and trying to do good." So, that's my spiel. Some Christians would call me a heathen for not believing everything in the text and to that I say "God gave me free will for a reason."

I'm an asexual Christian.

I believe that Bibles should be mentioned in schools like there were long ago since it taught morals,good vaules, and many helpful life lessons today's kids should know.

Not saying it should be shoved on them but it should at least teach people to have a foundation of morals. You don't have to be Christian to have it.

I want Murry vs Curtlett to be overturned. Just like William J. Murray

is working toward.

My school does have places where Christians can meet in the mornings like The FCA which is great. But it needs to be a widespread thing in schools that don't let them. I've also heard of kids having the mic turnned off on them for mentioning God which isn't right you should be able to thank whoever you want.

Praise Jesus!!!

You know we should have our own group. The Christian Asexuals. How about it?

• 3 years later...
Cynthia Meg

I am asexual (biromantic), and I love Jesus! I think starting a group for asexual Christians would be a great idea!

I'm a Christian too - and it would be amazing if we had a group. There are a few Christian discussion threads, but those tend to turn into anti-religious debates that make me really sad to read.

I'm Christian too. I've read the bible, although I don't think that should be a requirement for being a Christian.

Qutenkuddly

Please do not revive threads that have not been active for more than six months. If you wish to discuss this topic further, you are welcome to create a new thread for it or go to the existing one found here.

Thread closed due to necromancy.

Qutenkuddly

Musings and Rantings Moderator

Archived