Photo

Umm... Any Asexual Christians out there?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 goldboy44

goldboy44

Amoeba Colony

• AVEN Members
  • 106 posts
  • A/Sexuality:"Egeosexual" (Lack of sexuallity) My sexuallity is focused on God, and nothing else.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

I'm a christian, I'm not judeging, just curious. I love everybody!!!!
LOVE!!!!

#2 stormwind

stormwind

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 287 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetero aromantic-asexual

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

I am. :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau

Posted Image

#3 Melly06

Melly06

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

So am I.

There was a thread before, maybe a year ago, asking who is both Christian and asexual. There were quite a few people who responded to that thread and said they fall into that category.

There have also been debates at times about whether 1 Corinthians 7:7-8 refers to asexuality or the gift of celibacy. I would say, as a Christian, that it refers to the gift of celibacy. However, I think that someone with a genuine gift of celibacy would be much like an asexual, and could consider him/herself that if he/she wants to.

Of course there's overlap, and not all things are clear-cut. Some people who feel called to celibacy and believe they have the gift of celibacy do consider themselves to be definitely heterosexual. Some asexuals are not celibate, engaging in sex to please a partner, for example. Some asexuals, though not all, also masturbate, therefore engaging in sexual sin - which would keep them from being considered genuinely celibate. (There's a difference between being just technically celibate versus being genuinely celibate.)
I consider myself to be both asexual and celibate, as well as Christian.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (quote from Eleanor Roosevelt)

As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field. The wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. (Psalm 103: 15-16)

#4 mindlife

mindlife

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,589 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

I am also.
Join hands with me, then; and, in the name of that Being in whose image the flogged sailor is made, let us demand of Legislators, by what right they dare profane what God himself accounts sacred. Herman Melville, White Jacket.

#5 mackat5

mackat5

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

Christian here. There are seveal of us around.
In God's Love

Mac

I AM a survivor!!!

From a t-shirt bought at the Chocolate Garden in Michigan:

"Nobody Knows the Truffles I've Seen"

#6 Guest_back_slash123_*

Guest_back_slash123_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

I'm eastern orthodox

#7 Eras

Eras

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 356 posts
  • A/Sexuality:pan-demiromantic andro-demisexual

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:42 AM

I'm an asexy Jesus lover
eraslongras@me.com

GoAllyGoGo: The prostitute
Eras: I know I swear your like my e-mom
Eras: It a long story but I dedcided to give him a chance.
Otter Spirit: .... Is anyone in here actually related to somebody else in here?

Is an as3xual someone who doesn't realize that sex is spelled with an 'e'?

[GoAllyGoGo] 9:16 pm: What can I say? I'm a giver, not a taker.
GoAllyGoGo would spank Eras, but she's pretty sure that's illegal.

Proverbs 21:19 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.
See God DOES have a sense of humor.

#8 that_american_kid

that_american_kid

Asexy

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

Me too.
"Tu naktī raudzīsies zvaigsnēs
bet es taču dzīvou vienā no tām,
bet es taču smieos vienā no tām,
un tad tev ķitīs, it kā smietos
visas zvaigznes, kas prot smieties!"
~Mazais Pricis

The Blog: Sheldon Has No Deal
The Podcast: A Life Podcast

#9 theimpossiblek

theimpossiblek

Mega Mitosis

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • A/Sexuality:romantic asexual

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Me too. I have a question for other Christian or religious asexuals tho- do you think that being taught celibacy outside of marriage had an affect on "coming out" as an asexual? I'm curious, because it seems like it could be potentially confusing- that is, figuring out whether you don't experience sexual attraction or you just have the "gift of celibacy"...
Check out my blog on asexuality: Ace of Hearts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sex is God's joke on human beings." - Bette Davis

"When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach. -Maya Angelou

#10 JustJudy

JustJudy

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 378 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Grey-A Hetero? Heck if I know

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

I'm a Christian too and I don't think that has anything to do with being asexual or not. I was taught (or understood it to be) that sex was for procreating and I really wish everyone thought that way and if you weren't interested in making babies then you didn't have to bother with the sex crap.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain."

#11 Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 564 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

My parents raised me as a Christian [Roman Catholic], and i was forced to go to church every Sunday,
and i went to a Catholic primary and high school, but it never heavily affected the way i felt about sex though..
I changed my religious beliefs later in life due to personal reasons.

Posted Image
Stewie Griffin: Oh, I don't know, Olivia. Uh, maybe we are in a sexless marriage. We have yet to have sex.
Olivia: Do you even know what sex is?
Stewie Griffin: That's not the point, don't change the... it's a kind of cake?

#12 Des

Des

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Single Celibate Hetero

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm a Christian, and as usual I refuse to be put in a box. I consider myself a true fundamentalist, meaning I believe in a very literal translation of the Bible, not that I'm one of the proselytizing indoctrinated ministers preaching intolerance of everyone who is not like me. I'm smart enough to realize I may be wrong, and even if I'm not I still may not have all the answers. I don't use any particular translation because I try not to translate. I have a Strong's Concordance and when in doubt I look up te original languages and see what he Bible really says, not what someone wants me to think it says.
"You're supposed to smoke AFTER sex, not INSTEAD of sex!" - my mom
----------------------
"If you only do what everyone else does, you'll never be able to do what no one else can." - me
----------------------
"If I had one day to live, I'd still show up at work." - me

#13 Nt.

Nt.

Avengelical Prophet

• Validating
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

I attended two churches growing up: a big scary one which was C of E and a Methodist (I think) one. I've also attended several URC sermons for my Explorer Scouts something something.

I don't remember sex being discussed though.

"[T]he future isn't a boot stamping on a human face, forever. It's a person in a beige business outfit advocating beige policies that nobody wants (but nobody can quite articulate a coherent alternative to) with a false mandate obtained by performing rituals of representative democracy that offer as much actual choice as a Stalinist one-party state. And resistance is futile, because if you succeed in overthrowing the beige dictatorship, you will become that which you opposed."

--Charlie Stross

"Remember to stay hydrated."

--Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect

#14 BeautifulObsession

BeautifulObsession

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • A/Sexuality:I am incapable of Physical Attraction nor am I interested in relationships past friendships.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:28 AM

I'm a christian and asexual. I find that they go easily hand in hand. As a christian I never want to sleep with someone before marriage. As an Asexual I never want to sleep with anyone. As me I never want to get married. It works, and it frees me up from *some* of the craziness that relationships involve and I can focus on the thing that matters- Jesus!
True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

#15 Chocolatelover18

Chocolatelover18

Amoeba Colony

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

ME! :D

I love Jesus with all my heart.

And I agree with others who said that asexuality goes hand in hand with my beliefs because as a christian I want to honor God by not having sex before marriage, which isn't a problem because of the obvious.
**There is no one else for me
None but JESUS
crucified to set me free
now I live to bring him praise**

Posted Image

#16 JPOnion

JPOnion

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:43 AM

I was raised Christian. I've got about half a dozen preachers in my family that between them have, if I was told right, started or ran about 100 churches / revivals / whatever around the country over the last 100 years or so. They don't know I'm asexual, but they're big believers in the "wait until you're married at all costs" and "wait for the right one" things. I think this is why my asexuality isn't as big an issue with my family as it seems to be with others.

#17 Des

Des

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Single Celibate Hetero

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

As a christian I never want to sleep with someone before marriage.

I did an interesting study on that, on the fornication verses in the Bible, that actually changed the doctrine of a conservative church. It turns out the Biblical definition of "fornication" doesn't mean "premarital sex", but "sexual idolatry", or putting sex ahead of your love for God. If you love God with all your heart all the time you can't commit fornication.
"You're supposed to smoke AFTER sex, not INSTEAD of sex!" - my mom
----------------------
"If you only do what everyone else does, you'll never be able to do what no one else can." - me
----------------------
"If I had one day to live, I'd still show up at work." - me

#18 metalgirl2045

metalgirl2045

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demi (hetero)

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Given the amount of "no sex before marriage" stuff I got from local churches, and how much more common abstinence only sex ed is in America, I'm surprised that people in the UK and America have so much trouble convincing people they're not sexually active if unmarried. Despite being a non-Christian, being somewhat repulsed by very casual sex I do to some extent identify with the attitude of people who don't want sex before marriage (but trying to enforce it on others is another matter). Maybe "I'm a devout Catholic who will only have sex within marriage for children" is what asexuals should say if their doctor is bugging them about contraception!

#19 ThePieMaker

ThePieMaker

AVENistor

• AVEN Members
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

I love Jesus. I think he was kind of amazing. However, I am far from a literalist with the Bible and I often find it embarrassing to be put in a group with certain people who call themselves "Christians." Call me crazy, but hate is not a family value. But enough about my dislikes of it. I don't have a religion, I have a faith. And I very much so believe that Jesus had an amazing message. I don't believe in everything, because much of it gets in the way of what I've taken out of the faith, which is "Love and acceptance of others and trying to do good." So, that's my spiel. Some Christians would call me a heathen for not believing everything in the text and to that I say "God gave me free will for a reason."
Two broken hearts don't beat any less.

#20 metalgirl2045

metalgirl2045

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demi (hetero)

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

If only all Christians were like you.

#21 Shadow girl

Shadow girl

A-Grade AVENite

• Banned
  • 4,819 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

I'm an asexual Christian.
I believe that Bibles should be mentioned in schools like there were long ago since it taught morals,good vaules, and many helpful life lessons today's kids should know.
Not saying it should be shoved on them but it should at least teach people to have a foundation of morals. You don't have to be Christian to have it.

I want Murry vs Curtlett to be overturned. Just like William J. Murray
is working toward.

My school does have places where Christians can meet in the mornings like The FCA which is great. But it needs to be a widespread thing in schools that don't let them. I've also heard of kids having the mic turnned off on them for mentioning God which isn't right you should be able to thank whoever you want.

Praise Jesus!!!

You know we should have our own group. The Christian Asexuals. How about it?

#22 Cynthia Meg

Cynthia Meg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pronouns:She
  • A/Sexuality:Pan-Asexual.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I am asexual (biromantic), and I love Jesus! I think starting a group for asexual Christians would be a great idea!

#23 Daisy G.

Daisy G.

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Heteroromantic Asexual

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm a Christian too - and it would be amazing if we had a group. There are a few Christian discussion threads, but those tend to turn into anti-religious debates that make me really sad to read.

#24 CS1

CS1

Amoeba

• AVEN Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm Christian too. I've read the bible, although I don't think that should be a requirement for being a Christian.

#25 Qutenkuddly

Qutenkuddly

totally spACEd

• Moderators
  • 9,271 posts
  • A/Sexuality:A/Hetero

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

Please do not revive threads that have not been active for more than six months. If you wish to discuss this topic further, you are welcome to create a new thread for it or go to the existing one found here.

Thread closed due to necromancy.

Qutenkuddly
Musings and Rantings Moderator

Me: Apparently I can't f*ck to save a relationship.
Her: There's a difference between f*cking and making love.
Me: Okay. Apparently I can't m*ke l*ve to save a relationship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users