Causes or Types of Asexuality?

Causes or Types  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Causes or Types - which do you think exist?

• Repulsed by sex due to early (remembered) experience
    • Repulsed by sex possibly due to early experience but not consciously remembered
    • Cannot accept being bisexual or homosexual, so have completely repressed sexuality
    • No interest in sex (possible hormonal cause)
    • Sex is painful due to physical issue
    • Asperger's Syndrome related
    • Others?
  2. 2. Cause / Type - which are you?

• None - I am not asexual
    • Repulsed (with memory of why)
    • Repulsed (no memory of why)
    • Confused/Bi/Homosexual and therefore repressed sexuality
    • Not interested in sex
    • Sex is painful due to physical issue
    • Asperger's Syndrome related
    • Other?

I, too, have had all my sexual and female hormones checked, for an unrelated reason, and everything came back normal. So, for me, saying there must be a cause means that there is something wrong with being asexual. I just have no desire to have sex with anybody. I was never abused, and am more than able to say no when something makes me uncomfortable. I don't think there is a cause for me, other than being born this way.

Well everything has a reason...

So what? There surely was a reason why it was raining in my town today. But we will never find out why.

Haven't we discovered meteorology? Don't we know the reason why you had rainy weather, related to cold fronts or humidity or whatever the terminology is?

Why do some people get so mad when people say they could be a cause? :blink:

I think some people were born asexual and some people have causes. It's up in the air.

I agree. Some people are just asexual from birth, and others have other reasons for not being interested or being disgusted by sex. On a personal level, I've always been asexual, not interested in sex. No abuse of any kind, no Asperger's or any other syndrome, no negative sexual experience to trigger it. It's just me.

It may have a hereditary factor, as I very strongly suspect my mother was asexual, but I don't know. I've had my hormones checked several times during my life, for various reasons (admittedly not because I was concerned about my asexuality, because I'm not) and they've always been normal.

I think some people might feel insulted by the suggestion that asexuality can be triggered by external or hormonal causes because at the moment we're in the position of trying to be recognised as an orientation, whereas the general population seems to see it as a disorder. Anything that suggests that asexuality may have a cause that could be 'cured' may be seen to be undermining asexuality as a perfectly acceptable orientation.

I personally don't find the topic insulting. It was posted with good intentions and with genuine curiosity.

Well everything has a reason...

So what? There surely was a reason why it was raining in my town today. But we will never find out why.

Haven't we discovered meteorology? Don't we know the reason why you had rainy weather, related to cold fronts or humidity or whatever the terminology is?

OK, we basically know why it is raining and we can even predict it most of the time. But we'll never find the exact causes why it was raining in my town yesterday. Maybe it rained because of a low pressure area over Europe, but why was there a low in the first place? Everything that happens in our universe is based on strict rules, like gravity etc. So, arguing whether there is a cause for asexuality or not doesn't make much sence, since everything in our a universe has a cause. Including for example why I have a blue eyes and why I'm asexual and where thy is asexuality in general.

That doesn't mean that it is possible to find the causes of everything, though.

Type - not attracted. To anyone. If I found myself attracted to someone, no doubt I'd want to have sex with them, but since that isn't the case...

metalgirl2045

Everything does have a cause of some sort. Asexuality might be the result of someone of evolutionary advantage, if not then it is something gone wrong. Don't like being described as something other than designed to be perfect? Go an join some fundamentalist religious group who shun any sort of science or reason because they can't cope with any ideas other than "God made us perfect and above nature". Nature is absolutely beautiful and I've decided to spend the rest of my life seeing just how beautiful the universe is, but it also has a lot of random processes. And random processes in nature come out with things which are for want of a better word, gone wrong. People with physical mutations, sex drive not working properly, wrong gender, genetic diseases, all sorts of things. This doesn't make the people who have these things any worse than others, it's just more of the fascinating way in which nature works and I love finding out exactly what causes these oddities. In some cases we may never know, but it's a lot of fun trying and I'm proud rather than ashamed to have a few such fascinating errors when I was made.

Asexuality is part of nature, so some natural or sociological process, supposed to be there or not, must have caused it. Denying that does not make asexuality look better, it makes you look silly and anti-science/reason. But just because it may be some sort of mutation or failure of something to work properly does not mean it's a problem which needs to be cured. The only thing I've seen in this thread to be offended by is the idea that we're above nature rather than part of it.

Everything does have a cause of some sort. Asexuality might be the result of someone of evolutionary advantage, if not then it is something gone wrong. Don't like being described as something other than designed to be perfect? Go an join some fundamentalist religious group who shun any sort of science or reason because they can't cope with any ideas other than "God made us perfect and above nature". Nature is absolutely beautiful and I've decided to spend the rest of my life seeing just how beautiful the universe is, but it also has a lot of random processes. And random processes in nature come out with things which are for want of a better word, gone wrong. People with physical mutations, sex drive not working properly, wrong gender, genetic diseases, all sorts of things. This doesn't make the people who have these things any worse than others, it's just more of the fascinating way in which nature works and I love finding out exactly what causes these oddities. In some cases we may never know, but it's a lot of fun trying and I'm proud rather than ashamed to have a few such fascinating errors when I was made.

Asexuality is part of nature, so some natural or sociological process, supposed to be there or not, must have caused it. Denying that does not make asexuality look better, it makes you look silly and anti-science/reason. But just because it may be some sort of mutation or failure of something to work properly does not mean it's a problem which needs to be cured. The only thing I've seen in this thread to be offended by is the idea that we're above nature rather than part of it.

I second that.

I third this :)

And thank you for understanding where I'm coming from Metalgirl.

I am shortsighted, this is clearly something wrong with my eyes. I am glad if people want to understand the causes of shortsightedness and do not take it as a personal insult. I also have a strange patch of coloured skin on my body - a birthmark. This is probably a random thing caused by biology, and doesn't cause me any harm, but if someone wants to understand the causes of it then I would not be insulted or think that the person was saying that there was something wrong with me...

• 4 years later...
Crooked Ascension

For me, there is no real reason. I was borne that way. I have normal hormone levels and such, just disgusted by the thought of sex but I...... don't know.

If I am to take labels seriously which I don't anymore which means I'm going to speak as my 17 years old self. Assuming I am, then I'd say I used to be straight with fluctuations to interest to same sex till my sexuality disappeared It was starting to be gone at 16 and pretty much non-existent. The feelings and responses are similar to my current 19 years old self except I reject the notions of validity of labels. So I am undefinable.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Locked for Necromancy. If you want to discuss this thread you may create a new one. Please don't revive threads older then 6 months of the last post.

GIR,

Asexual Q&A