Is it possible to become asexual?

I never felt it before I've began my yoga practice several years ago. Now I'm completely asexual. I like people but I stopped feeling any sexual arousal. Only sometimes I want a touch. Have anybody experienced anything like this? Or most of the people here are asexuals from the very beginning?

Most here will tell you they were born that way.

Asexuals can feel sexual arousal. Some do, some don't. They just don't act on with other people.

Asexuality is lack of sexual attraction. Ubder that we have a huge variety of asexuals.

Moving to asexual Q&A

Amcan

admin

Zusima, there is an important environmental element in my case of asexuality. As it is rather complicated, i would not go into detail; i don't feel like it, to put it simply; i find myself quite detached from the importance of any single thing. Everything blend with each other into an infinite, interlaced fabric. I admire the decorations, i sense the textures, i'm amused by the fabric's web of threads.

carried in bags

i didnt realise until i was sexualy active - then it took a few years to become aware of it and know what it was about

I absolutely believe you can become asexual. Everything in the body is effected by the mind. In this sense sexuality, like all instincts, can be viewed as a mental construct. If this construct were to be eliminated or re-engineered it would certainly be possible. Biology, of course, has an effect on this but it is not all.

If I wanted to I could become hetero/homo/bi-sexual. This would be more difficult for me than for some others because I would also have to redesign my entire ethical and spiritual systems, being as both of those currently push me towards asexuality. I certainly have no desire to do that.

But yes it is absolutely possible, though uncommon, and difficult to do deliberately.

I do not believe I could force myself to be homo-hetero-bi-pan sexual anymore than someone could force themselves to become ace.

... what did the yoga have to do with it, might I ask?

I do not believe I could force myself to be homo-hetero-bi-pan sexual anymore than someone could force themselves to become ace.

Oh, I thought they meant whether you could become asexual [out of your control]. Like in the way that as an asexual might find themselves becoming sexual even though they never wanted to.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Hm...I don't know exactly what causes sexual attraction besides the fact that hormones play a large part in it. It's not an area of biology I've really explored. I have this crazy idea that people who experience mild attractions during puberty might become ace after their hormones calm down, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Of course, there's also often an emotional component to sexual attraction, and that might be changeable, but it would probably involve some kind of dramatic personality change.

But I'm just speculating wildly. I don't actually know.

Oh, I thought they meant whether you could become asexual [out of your control]. Like in the way that as an asexual might find themselves becoming sexual even though they never wanted to.

I thought that, too. I don't see that they were asking if they can force themself or will themself to be asexual, more like can it 'morph'. I would say that anything is possible. I can't imagine all of a sudden not experiencing sexual attraction but then people who DO experience it can't imagine NEVER having experienced it.

I never felt it before I've began my yoga practice several years ago. Now I'm completely asexual. I like people but I stopped feeling any sexual arousal. Only sometimes I want a touch. Have anybody experienced anything like this? Or most of the people here are asexuals from the very beginning?

This is the way I have become, I used to be turned on by everything now I'm turned on by nothing.

I will spend a lifetime trying to figure out the problem if I have to; although some will say its not really a problem and I tend to agree

But I still just want a touch.

I thought I was sexual until two months ago when I found AVEN, since I always thought about sexual stuff differently than others. Now I identify as an asexual, but in the Gray-A area. I feel sexual attraction sometimes, but I never really feel the need to act on it. If I never have sex, I honestly won't care, since sex is pretty relative to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to agree that it's possible to become asexual due to the emotional aspects of a sexual relationship. I haven't been involved in a sexual relationship for nearly 7 years now, and to be honest, I believe that my desire to be in one has completely disappeared. The last two relationships I was in ended badly - I won't say I was a 'victim' in any way, but both were pretty emotionally devastating. I'm happy and strong now, but do get lonely from time to time, and can definitely relate to wanting a 'touch' now and then. When a coworker puts an arm around me, I realize just how long it's been since I have even had a good HUG. That's what I miss/want again someday - a closeness with someone, to know someone intimately, to share daily life/decisions/dreams. I desire affection, but could really care less if I ever have sex again. :blush:

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Yeah, you probably can, i don't see why you couldn't.

However, i think that most sexual orientations are inherited from birth..

metalgirl2045

Some people have said they've become asexual due to medication.

Yea, while I don't think sexuals have to tread lightly in fear of waking up ace, I do think it's entirely possible from various factors, I know a couple of older females who have experienced such a decrease in libido they now consider themselves ace. So I think it could happen, sure.

divinityadieu

I would think so.

I've always been healthy in "those" departments (I feel obligated to not call it sexuality since I'm a minor O.O, it would just sound weird)

until last year.

My views and I myself changed, and I felt a lack of it.

I thought I was just an overly-independent person, which I am.

But then I didn't feel like dating anyone, even if I liked them, and I still feel that.

• 4 years later...
PROFESSORMEOWINGTONS

the literal answer is YES removal of testacles or ovares will stop your body from creating sexual chemicals although this requires surgery :unsure: i dont even think its legal. However i dont think there is any other true way to do it other than it being congenital

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

This thread hasn't been active for a long time and is now being locked to avoid thread necromancy. if anyone would like to discuss this topic further, feel free to start a new thread about it.

GIR,

Asexual Q&A moderator