Is it possible to become asexual?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 zusima

zusima

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

I never felt it before I've began my yoga practice several years ago. Now I'm completely asexual. I like people but I stopped feeling any sexual arousal. Only sometimes I want a touch. Have anybody experienced anything like this? Or most of the people here are asexuals from the very beginning?

#2 Amcan

Amcan

Borg Penguin of Doom

• Administrators
  • 60,121 posts
  • A/Sexuality:aromantic asexual

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

Most here will tell you they were born that way.

Asexuals can feel sexual arousal. Some do, some don't. They just don't act on with other people.

Asexuality is lack of sexual attraction. Ubder that we have a huge variety of asexuals.
Posted Image - A-sylum, the totally un-serious asexual forum. Come join in the fun! Click the crazy A. All welcome.

Posted Image <---- my pretty pretty box of craziness as wonderfully wrapped by Coleslaw

Speak softly and carry a big post count.

Penguin Cam (not can)

I'm not really an evil admin - I just play one on TV

We eat what we can, and what we can't, Am cans!

#3 Amcan

Amcan

Borg Penguin of Doom

• Administrators
  • 60,121 posts
  • A/Sexuality:aromantic asexual

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

Moving to asexual Q&A

Amcan
admin
Posted Image - A-sylum, the totally un-serious asexual forum. Come join in the fun! Click the crazy A. All welcome.

Posted Image <---- my pretty pretty box of craziness as wonderfully wrapped by Coleslaw

Speak softly and carry a big post count.

Penguin Cam (not can)

I'm not really an evil admin - I just play one on TV

We eat what we can, and what we can't, Am cans!

#4 starcat

starcat

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 392 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual and happy

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

"The key to a happier and more successful world is the growth of compassion" - Tenzin Gyatso the 14th Dalai Lama

#5 Guest_kos_*

Guest_kos_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Zusima, there is an important environmental element in my case of asexuality. As it is rather complicated, i would not go into detail; i don't feel like it, to put it simply; i find myself quite detached from the importance of any single thing. Everything blend with each other into an infinite, interlaced fabric. I admire the decorations, i sense the textures, i'm amused by the fabric's web of threads.

#6 carried in bags

carried in bags

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 878 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetro-romantic-asexual (more or less)

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

i didnt realise until i was sexualy active - then it took a few years to become aware of it and know what it was about
I'm the only asexual in the village

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Luvdisc

Luvdisc

The Atrix Has You

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:11 PM

If an asexual can become sexual, I don't see why a sexual couldn't become asexual.
on the roof. seeking proof.

#8 Kallan

Kallan

Aeros Incarnate

• AVEN Members
  • 2,072 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Affectionate Ace

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

I absolutely believe you can become asexual. Everything in the body is effected by the mind. In this sense sexuality, like all instincts, can be viewed as a mental construct. If this construct were to be eliminated or re-engineered it would certainly be possible. Biology, of course, has an effect on this but it is not all.

If I wanted to I could become hetero/homo/bi-sexual. This would be more difficult for me than for some others because I would also have to redesign my entire ethical and spiritual systems, being as both of those currently push me towards asexuality. I certainly have no desire to do that.

But yes it is absolutely possible, though uncommon, and difficult to do deliberately.
Rule #1 Act first Rule #10 Don't make promises you can't keep
Rule #2 Follow through Rule #11 Pick battles you can win
Rule #3 Know your surroundings Rule #12 Don't hold back
Rule #4 Always have a backup plan Rule #13 Success is 90% preperation
Rule #5 Always have another backup plan Rule #14 Never under-estimate an opponent
Rule #6 Never take anything for granted Rule #15 Never over-estimate a friend
Rule #7 Pay attention to details Rule #16 Know much, say little
Rule #8 Ask the right questions Rule #17 Go with what works
Rule #9 When in doubt, be Honest Rule #18 Life is not about Existing, it is about Experiencing

#9 Forensic

Forensic

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:01 AM

I do not believe I could force myself to be homo-hetero-bi-pan sexual anymore than someone could force themselves to become ace.

... what did the yoga have to do with it, might I ask?
When you notice a cat in profound meditation, The reason I tell you is always the same;
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.....

#10 Luvdisc

Luvdisc

The Atrix Has You

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

I do not believe I could force myself to be homo-hetero-bi-pan sexual anymore than someone could force themselves to become ace.

Oh, I thought they meant whether you could become asexual [out of your control]. Like in the way that as an asexual might find themselves becoming sexual even though they never wanted to.
on the roof. seeking proof.

#11 you*hear*but*do*you*listen

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Aeros Incarnate

• AVEN Members
  • 2,291 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Homoromantic asexual. Also nonlibidoist and repulsed.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hm...I don't know exactly what causes sexual attraction besides the fact that hormones play a large part in it. It's not an area of biology I've really explored. I have this crazy idea that people who experience mild attractions during puberty might become ace after their hormones calm down, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Of course, there's also often an emotional component to sexual attraction, and that might be changeable, but it would probably involve some kind of dramatic personality change.

But I'm just speculating wildly. I don't actually know.
I am a proud soldier in the MCRmy.
I brought my bullets and took their love.
I gave three cheers for sweet revenge.
I marched faithfully in the black parade.
I am not afraid to keep on living,
and they'll never take me alive.

Check out my asexy LJ: http://amoeboid-moti...ivejournal.com/

Posted Image

#12 cijay

cijay

AVENineffable

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual lesbian

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:56 AM

Oh, I thought they meant whether you could become asexual [out of your control]. Like in the way that as an asexual might find themselves becoming sexual even though they never wanted to.

I thought that, too. I don't see that they were asking if they can force themself or will themself to be asexual, more like can it 'morph'. I would say that anything is possible. I can't imagine all of a sudden not experiencing sexual attraction but then people who DO experience it can't imagine NEVER having experienced it.
"If I were a ferret I'd be dead by now"

#13 Nervs

Nervs

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

I never felt it before I've began my yoga practice several years ago. Now I'm completely asexual. I like people but I stopped feeling any sexual arousal. Only sometimes I want a touch. Have anybody experienced anything like this? Or most of the people here are asexuals from the very beginning?

This is the way I have become, I used to be turned on by everything now I'm turned on by nothing.
I will spend a lifetime trying to figure out the problem if I have to; although some will say its not really a problem and I tend to agree
But I still just want a touch.

#14 Maxx1128

Maxx1128

Too Asexy for this Site

• AVEN Members
  • 678 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Heteromantic Asexual (technically Demisexual)

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

I thought I was sexual until two months ago when I found AVEN, since I always thought about sexual stuff differently than others. Now I identify as an asexual, but in the Gray-A area. I feel sexual attraction sometimes, but I never really feel the need to act on it. If I never have sex, I honestly won't care, since sex is pretty relative to me.
A little bit of craziness helps you keep your sanity

Everyone has their own little internal world - a secret garden only they can enter. Each world follows its own internal logic - individuality. And the logic of one world means nothing in another. -Joshua, The World Ends With You

Posted Image

#15 emmamurphy

emmamurphy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:18 AM

I'd have to agree that it's possible to become asexual due to the emotional aspects of a sexual relationship. I haven't been involved in a sexual relationship for nearly 7 years now, and to be honest, I believe that my desire to be in one has completely disappeared. The last two relationships I was in ended badly - I won't say I was a 'victim' in any way, but both were pretty emotionally devastating. I'm happy and strong now, but do get lonely from time to time, and can definitely relate to wanting a 'touch' now and then. When a coworker puts an arm around me, I realize just how long it's been since I have even had a good HUG. That's what I miss/want again someday - a closeness with someone, to know someone intimately, to share daily life/decisions/dreams. I desire affection, but could really care less if I ever have sex again. :blush:

#16 Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 564 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, you probably can, i don't see why you couldn't.
However, i think that most sexual orientations are inherited from birth..

Posted Image
Stewie Griffin: Oh, I don't know, Olivia. Uh, maybe we are in a sexless marriage. We have yet to have sex.
Olivia: Do you even know what sex is?
Stewie Griffin: That's not the point, don't change the... it's a kind of cake?

#17 Peach

Peach

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 317 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetero-romantic asexual

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Perhaps... I don't know.
Personally I didn't become, I realised.
  • Shijin likes this
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 metalgirl2045

metalgirl2045

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demi (hetero)

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Some people have said they've become asexual due to medication.

#19 ProdeFemme

ProdeFemme

AVENger

• AVEN Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Straight A

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Yea, while I don't think sexuals have to tread lightly in fear of waking up ace, I do think it's entirely possible from various factors, I know a couple of older females who have experienced such a decrease in libido they now consider themselves ace. So I think it could happen, sure.

(Inevitable @ Oct 14 2009, 01:17 PM) *
You and Sally are like some sort of Superhero duo, protecting each others backs and fighting... evil or whatever.

It's fighting the "whatever" that's the truly exhausting part of being a superhero -SuperProde

>>>> As saucy and sarcastic as ever, but now 25% less sanctimonious!<<<<
Age has made me much more apathetic than I used to be.

#20 divinityadieu

divinityadieu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • A/Sexuality:not sure.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

I would think so.

I've always been healthy in "those" departments (I feel obligated to not call it sexuality since I'm a minor O.O, it would just sound weird)
until last year.
My views and I myself changed, and I felt a lack of it.
I thought I was just an overly-independent person, which I am.
But then I didn't feel like dating anyone, even if I liked them, and I still feel that.

UNTRUST US.

#21 PROFESSORMEOWINGTONS

PROFESSORMEOWINGTONS

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

the literal answer is YES removal of testacles or ovares will stop your body from creating sexual chemicals although this requires surgery :unsure: i dont even think its legal. However i dont think there is any other true way to do it other than it being congenital

#22 Clemy

Clemy

Fallen Angel

• AVEN Members
  • 3,588 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Pansexual

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

This thread hasn't been active for a long time and is now being locked to avoid thread necromancy. if anyone would like to discuss this topic further, feel free to start a new thread about it.

GIR,
Asexual Q&A moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users