Asexuality isnt so new to Aus as we once thought...

SpirallingSnowy

SpirallingSnowy

So, i decided to look up asexuality in australia, in google search.

No particular reason, just to see what would come up....

Threads from here did, and then i found this:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/leg.../report/c01.htm

Inquiry into Sexuality Discrimination

December 1997

© Commonwealth of Australia 1997

And Asexuality is mentioned here in chapter 1 - Introduction:

Recommendation 2

All organisations receiving Commonwealth funding must provide access to services on equal terms to bisexual persons, and to transgender persons.

1.25 Related issues, such as harassment, are considered below at Chapter 2 [20] and at Recommendation 1 of Chapter 2 and at Chapter 4. [21]

Asexual/Asexuality

1.26 There was little reference to asexuality in submissions or oral evidence, and no indication that people were discriminated against on the basis of having no apparent sexual orientation. If all other forms of legal sexual orientation are to be listed in the definitions of the Sexuality Discrimination Bill, then asexuality should also be added. [22]

Recommendation 3

That 'asexuality' be added to the definition of sexuality in the Sexuality Discrimination Bill.

Clause 5, Definitions

'Sexuality means heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality'.

Heterosexuality

1.27 Many of the witnesses to the Committee noted that the heterosexual was the standard against which all other sexualities were evaluated, and that society was structured to favour heterosexuals and heterosexual families. [23] In this world view, the non-heterosexual often felt part of a different society:

'... often when a person declares themselves to be lesbian or gay ... it is very much a statement of personal identity, almost akin to a statement of one person's particular culture.' [24]

1.28 The heterosexual society appeared to perceive the non-heterosexual solely in terms of sexual identity; and while the non-heterosexual person perceived their sexual orientation as only a part of their being, the actions of others could also lead to orientation influencing a substantial part of life:

'... stigmatisation can be a problem in two ways. For the homosexual individual the acceptance of the stigma will mean its incorporation into a negative self-identity. For the wider community, the difference in treatment under the law can create a perception of an underlying cause and justification for homosexuals to be treated in a different and unfair way in all forms of interaction, and not just those referred to in legislation.' [25]

And Here in Chapter 4 - PROVISIONS OF STATE AND TERRITORY SEXUALITY AND GENDER STATUS ANTI-DISCRIMINATION LEGISLATION:

"New South Wales

4.11 New South Wales anti-discrimination legislation in this area refers to discrimination on the grounds of 'homosexuality' and 'transgender'. While 'homosexual' is defined by the legislation as male or female homosexual, it is recognised that it would be preferable to use the terms gay and lesbian in order to encourage lesbians to perceive the legislation as providing protection to them as well as to male homosexuals, [14] a point made by several other submissions from other States in respect of the proposed Commonwealth legislation. [15]

4.12 Although the legislation covers transgender people it does not specifically assist bisexual people, [16] unless they identify as homosexual. Heterosexuals are not covered under this legislation, and asexuality is not specified."

"Queensland and Victoria

4.20 Queensland and Victoria both use the term “lawful sexual activity”, but this is not defined; and logically speaking could not include transgender people except on the basis of their sexual orientation. [23] Organisations in both states have acknowledged that transgender people are not covered by their legislation. [24] There was some suggestion that aspects of transgender issues might be covered under 'sex' provisions of legislation. However, most sex discrimination legislation tends to exclude people of transgender status, though not intentionally, through the terminology used and the grounds of discrimination:

'...in so far as transgender issues do not relate to a sexual orientation they will not come under the lawful sexual activity provisions. In so far as transgender issues relate to someone who identifies as a particular gender, they cannot lodge a complaint under another gender.' [25]

4.21 In both States the term “lawful sexual activity” has been interpreted to include homosexuality and heterosexuality, and implicitly includes bisexuality insofar as this is not unlawful, although it does not specifically mention this nor refer to asexual status."

"4.33 No legislation in Australia currently specifically refers to asexuality, although there was little resistance to this being excluded from coverage. [47] Recommendation 3 in Chapter 1 includes 'asexuality' in the definition of 'sexuality'."

"4.174 Only the New South Wales Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 contains anti-vilification provisions on sexuality and transgender grounds and in respect of HIV/AIDS status. Protection in respect of sexuality does not extend to people in respect of being heterosexual, bisexual or asexual, although AIDS/HIV protection is not linked to gender or sexuality. The NSW anti-vilification legislation has been utilised in two cases which have received considerable public attention, some of it also unfavourable. The first case related to the vilification and public harassment of a man by a couple over a period of time."

Footnote
[47] Evidence, Australian Bisexual Network, 'If a person chooses to identify as asexual, in that they are not attracted to any person or any gender, then that could be legitimate grounds for having that included.' p. 673.

This is from 1997 guys!!

Our Senate has known of Asexuality for over 10 yrs.....

Im not sure if there is a more recent Inquiry into Sexual Discrimination......

2014 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but the page can be found here.

Woah, indeed. I wonder what initiated them involving asexuality in the legislation when that was written? Could there have been another group of people working on visibility and were urging for that, or maybe they were influenced by some sort of writing or report?

Indeed. Where are the earliest known mentions of the term Asexuality as a sexual orientation? They had to have had some reference or it wouldn't have been brought up. O_o

Wow! That is amazing.

I have no idea when asexuality as an orientation was first mentioned but I do remember finding a website in the late 90s that had a blog entry or something like that. It was about somebody named Zoe mentioning asexuality and I left a comment on there myself. I was actually looking for that site a few years later when I found AVEN.

Woah is definitely right. And totally awesome at the same time.

DarthBismarck

Sweet! Nice to get the government's recognition. It may be 10 or 11 years delayed, but way to go to the Aussie AVENites!

*glares toward Ottawa* Move your asses!

Lord Happy Toast

My guess is that this reference has to do with a book published in 1994 called <Sexual Orientation: A Human Right. It only briefly mentions asexuality and the author doesn't seem to know much about it, but it is mentioned on a list of sexual orientations. I don't know how influential the book has been, but my guess is that this is the source of inclusions of asexuality in lists of sexual orientations in legislation. (Asexuality is considered a sexual orientation in a New York law passed, I think, in 2001. It's also listed in a list of sexual orientations in a bill that will be up for consideration in Ohio this coming term about discrimination in housing and employment.)

SpirallingSnowy

Well there is a reference to the Bisexual network, for one of the pieces of information on Asexuality. Admittedly, politics and legal stuff isnt my forte so im not 100 percent sure about how they reference etc, there was no link sadly, only text. but i was quite suprised to say the least. Glad people have read this thread lol.

This is from 1997 guys!!

Wow - that is incredible.

I take back everything I've ever said about Australians! :redface:

• 1 month later...
This is from 1997 guys!!

Wow - that is incredible.

I take back everything I've ever said about Australians! :redface:

What? ... Everything? ...

And about ALL Australians???

Even Sam Neill and the Finn boys ???? :o

hehehehe ooooooh i do feel wicked now

Archived