Dating Sites

ghosts

Born of Star Dust

When I tried to sign-up for Acebook, I recieved a pop-up which said "Your registration is NOT welcome on this site." I do not understand what I did wrong... I filled out all the required fields with nothing inappropriate or rude :ph34r::huh:

Your IP address was blocked. Nothing personal, I assure you. ;) Try again in a different browser, and see if it works then.

And the wording of the error message is not very nice. :blush: Sorry about that, I'll see if it can be changed.

Born of Star Dust

Haha, okay, I was just afraid that I had been asexually blacklisted or something of that nature.

Thank you for your advice. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Darkfire Prophet

Haha, okay, I was just afraid that I had been asexually blacklisted or something of that nature.

Asexual blacklisting, is that when no one will give you :cake:

Also, Okay Cupid gets bad press but it can work. I made some friends that way, No life partnery folk, but it is better than facebook for making friends in my experince.

I've had a profile on PoF for years and I've never had a good result from it. You can rule out categories of people contacting you (eg. 'people who have contacted others for sex'), but even when you put 'seeking friend' they tend to expect sex. It really requires writing exactly what you want in your profile - and you cannot be too clear about it either! There is no category for 'asexual r/ship'.

From my fairly broad experience there, you are unlikely to come across many highly intelligent/developed people.

My view of Acebook is that it's probably great for YOUNG heteros, but add 'older' and 'lesbian' - and 'Australian'! - to the requirements and the possibility of finding a match there is less than winning lotto.

SASE Icecream man

1 more year... just 1 more year until I can join these websites without lying about my age....

That's the biggest problem with me. Everyone wants a certian age. Everyone. I was really temped to lie about my age on Acebook, but I figured I'd want an acebook later when I didn't have to lie about my age, so I didn't. Usually I do lie about my age, but...... **Shrugs** it just feels wrong to lie to you people, the people I'm pretty sure have an acebook as well as a AVEN account.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll definately be checking out Acebook. I've tried OKCupid and have a profile on there but I've only really met friends, not so many asexuals. Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
test account

Dating sites are just a last resort for finding companionship in my opinion. Even when you get talking to someone who's willing to meet, chances are they live at least a couple of hours away and trying to keep that going is damned hard work. I've been doing this for almost a year now. Most want sex early on to make the effort worth their while. Many are looking for some TV fantasy that doesn't exist. There are very few people with practical honest expectations. And because you only have text in the beginning and a few photos, you tend to fill in the blanks with your own imagination so meeting can be quite disillusioning.

I've made some acquaintances this way, I've even had an asexual romantic friendship with a sexual man (which is frustrating because I'm sexual but I consider him an aids risk so it put me off - and he only wanted a fuck buddy so cuddling in bed was a compromise for him - oh look! It's too bloody complicated and I'm sick of it!). The point is, Internet dating sites have their problems whether your ace or not. There's no quick easy cure for loneliness I'm afraid, except maybe AVEN :)

Member33070

I understand the point of AVEN is not to find a relationship, but there are so many of us here that I kind of wish there was a section for that sort of thing. It seems so strange to message people on here I'm vaguely interested in getting to know better, especially when I don't know anything at all about most people because there are no images of them, I don't know their age, biological gender, or what country they're from...

Am I missing something about why we can't have a section about meeting people in a more romantic way? :blink:

. . .but there are sounds

AVEN is, as the name implies, first and foremost a visibility and education site. It was decided, and a more recent vote confirmed, that hosting a dating site on AVEN would be detrimental to our core aims. We have no problem linking to other sites (presupposing of course that they have been vetted by the team, we like to avoid endorsing potentially harmful sites, even unintentionally) and if someone happens to meet someone they end up partnering with here, alls the better, but we will not be hosting any form of dating site here.

Asexual Relationships Moderator,

• 2 weeks later...

Your IP address was blocked. Nothing personal, I assure you. ;) Try again in a different browser, and see if it works then.

And the wording of the error message is not very nice. :blush: Sorry about that, I'll see if it can be changed.

Hi there ,

I tried to register with the site at http://www.ace-book.net but it keeps telling my registration has been blocked?

Has it reached capacity already ?

I tried on a diffrent browser as well.

Cheers

Cavil

Kitsuneko

I've been on OKCupid for years- I mean, even back when it was Spark! I've never had good luck with the site even -before- I realized I was ace; however, it is a good vessel to possibly meet new friends (that could always have the potential to turn into more) given the fact that if you answer the questions and stuff, they can tell you what your match percentage is, and of course, your friend percentage. I just have it loud-and-clear in my profile that I'm asexual. If anyone wants to connect with me on OKC, I'm jaime_mes_chats.

I just registered on Acebook (www.ace-book.net) and seriously, the site is like a ghost town. I only found two (TWO!!) threads that had been updated in the last -week- and they weren't even serious threads (the last person to reply to this thread wins!). That kind of bums me out.

I think what'll be best for me here is to just get to know as many people as I can and of course encourage connections with me elsewhere on other sites or through e-mail/IM... I'm not entirely sure how to even MEET other asexual people without starting a group myself, and I don't really have the time to do that. Michigan sucks. D:

FalafelEater

thanks, i'll have to check some of those out. i made an account on okcupid, but i don't think that is going to work.

• 2 weeks later...
There's also Plenty Of Fish

It has options that you can chose "Hanging out" "Just Friends", and then the typical regular dating stuff. I still haven't figured out if "Activity partner" is innocent, or the 'no strings attached sex' kind of thing, so I just stick to looking for platonic friends.

For some reason I haven`t succeeded in registering there. I don`t know why but the same page comes up all the time when I fill all the gaps and click the button to go to the next step of registration. :mellow: I tried various user names, passwards and so on...

May be I`m going :wacko: ?

Hi, that happened to me to so I registered again today.

I'm stickying this thread with a list of personals sites that might be of interest to asexuals. Also, I'm stealing this list & descriptions from the wiki (thanks Hallu!). So without further ado...

Acebook - Formerly (?) A-Date; is a free dating site for asexuals, including integrated forums and chat software.

Affectionate Friends is "a different kind of dating site", made for people (not necessarily asexuals) who want to share time and affection without worrying about sex or commitment.

Asexual Pals is an informal introduction service that brings together asexual and celibate people for romantic and platonic relationships.

Asexualitic describes itself as "the first free dating site for asexual people", although technically it was released after the creation of A-Date, which is also free.

Celibate Passions is a dating and networking site for celibate people looking for platonic relationships. It comes with chat, message boards, and email.

Platonic Partners is a website celebrating celibate, platonic relationships, and allowing users to meet other like-minded people without the stresses of having to sexually perform. They are asexual-friendly and come with health resources and a newsletter.

Thanks, Ghosts!!!Hopefully this will make my life easier. I don't have the stomach for the sexual pressure you get from other dating sites, even in the platonic section. I think alot of people don't know what that means or don't bother to look it up.

• 2 weeks later...
forgottennone

I tried plentyoffish, and quickly got some hits- then when I updated my profile to say no sex before marriage (figuring that's more socially acceptable than just saying no sex) my account suddenly got deleted.

Thanks for the above list, I'm so excited to check them out!!

I didn't have much luck on PoF either. I told this one guy I was ace and he insisted he wanted his girl to "want to jump all over him" and that even if I didn't want to, if I went out with him I would magically fall in love with him and then it wouldn't matter if I was attracted to or not because of coooourse I would have sex with someone I loved. :rolleyes:

I think on the whole pof isn't a good site. I had an account with them (I deleted it) and I put on my profile that I wasn't interested in one night stands, friends with benefits, cyber etc yet I'd get men messaging me "fancy a ****?" or asking if I wanted to cam2cam...urgh. Also the last man I chatted to from that site was saying he'd had two women message him that evening offering to go to his to give him company and was saying it was too forward and those women were weird and desperate, yet 15 minutes later invited me to his (I didn't go) umm hypocrite much?

AVEN is, as the name implies, first and foremost a visibility and education site. It was decided, and a more recent vote confirmed, that hosting a dating site on AVEN would be detrimental to our core aims. We have no problem linking to other sites (presupposing of course that they have been vetted by the team, we like to avoid endorsing potentially harmful sites, even unintentionally) and if someone happens to meet someone they end up partnering with here, alls the better, but we will not be hosting any form of dating site here.

Asexual Relationships Moderator,

This makes sense. I personally hate dating sites and find it incredibly awkward putting a photo of myself and summary about my personality online. I think the meet up forums on AVEN are kind of a good place if you're looking for a partner. I mean first of all it narrows stuff down geographically and secondly you can get to know someone a bit without posting a cliched blurb about yourself on the internet or havign to decipher someone else's to figure out what kind of person you are. You can, yknow, interact.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gho St Ory Qwan

I'll definately be checking out Acebook. I've tried OKCupid and have a profile on there but I've only really met friends, not so many asexuals. Thanks for the tip!

I tried OK cupid for friends. I just got sexual interest. I kept making it more and more obvious I really didn't want sex (I already wrote it down and said I was asexual but yeah).

I got some msns, and texts going but they fizzled out and I removed them from my contacts when they grew silent because it was obvious whatever they wanted they weren't getting or they weren't interested in me any more. If they were just hoping for friendship like I, I imagine it'd be different.

While I've heard it's good for friendships, I think as it's still a dating site, you're not going to get much luck getting friends. I give off an unasexy vibe apparently, so I'm more prone to these things or something. *shrugs*

I give up on all of them, I only like AVEN.

gilnokoibito

I've tried almost ALL of these sites in the past. I never got ANYONE to message me or reply to me on ANY of them except OKCupid.

Most of the interested folk on there definitely fit more in the 'friend' category, but they wore all really nice about me being ace. Some would ask questions, some would admit straight out that they were sexual, but they were generally nice to me still. A good lot of them still message me sometimes.

As for Acebook, I REALLY had high expectations for that one. But, no one I messaged ever replied to me, and no one ever contacted me either. It felt like it was a indeed a ghost town, just as someone else on here mentioned before. OKC is the only place that made me feel like I fit. I blatantly made sure that me being asexual was very plain to see in my profile, and I still got several nice "hello's", I've never been able to get anyone's attention on any other sites. Their personality quizzes are fun too! (I LOVE quizzes!) I also like their matching questions and the way the system works on there. (They even beat the "big" dating sites on that part! Match.com, Chemistry.com, and eHarmony - my "matches" were always sports buffs on there and...I don't like sports in the least!) I just wish there were more aces on OKC! (And, at the risk of being a bit too picky, ones that matched my personality or lived SOMEWHERE near me would be nice too!)

So, as for asexual dating sites, in my experience...ugh...

5_♦♣

Tried signing up on Asexual Pals, four weeks later, I'm still waiting for a confirmation email.

• 2 weeks later...
test account

I've decided to join a speed dating network instead. I'm tired of trawling profiles and meeting people I just don't click with in person.

SexNotHaver

I joined Ace-Book, not really for the dating site-side of it, more just for talking

LimeTreeArbour

I've tried dating sites on and off when at the height of boredom, never really had any luck, it all seems a bit awkward to start something up. I think either something will spark by accident or I will just settle being by myself.

• 1 month later...

I've never tried these sites, not much interest... Either way, I would only look for people to talk to, not romance.

Are these sites any good, or are they just more troll-and-fraud-infested places where you get tons of spam and people whose first message is " hi r u virgin?"

I've never tried these sites, not much interest... Either way, I would only look for people to talk to, not romance.

Are these sites any good, or are they just more troll-and-fraud-infested places where you get tons of spam and people whose first message is " hi r u virgin?"

Depends which ones you get on, some are better or worse than others. If you remember to set your options from the start to screen out particular types you get less vulgarity hurled at you. You have to take that sort of stuff in stride though. The part I don't like is when you've been chatting to someone and they just lose interest. I've been guilty of that too, so I can't complain, but the internet world is not the best way to meet people.

Archived