Dating Sites

ghosts

Acebook is pretty great. I've found it the best out of all of them. It's pretty dead right now.

• 2 weeks later...

On the singles & dating boards, I've been seeing the "online dating doesn't work/yes it does" debate intensify steadily over the last couple of years. What's different in the last couple of months is those posters have started going into detail about which features do or don't work for them... that doesn't bode well for the industry.

More and more, I've been reading posts by men who ditched OLD because they woke up and realized it sucks for men.

OLD will probably be mainstream for 5 more years before its parent companies like InterActive Corp realize their online dating operations have become a money pit.

OLD has been hemorrhaging members to meetup groups... apparently more of us men prefer being rejected face to face than online, and even those OLD outfits like PoF which allow event hosting, put so many restrictions on what the hosts are allowed to do, it's not even worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
Squirrel Combat

Acebook is pretty great. I've found it the best out of all of them. It's pretty dead right now.

Oh how delightful! That really kindles confidence. :mellow:

I'm realizing that my experience isn't that typical, but I met my current SO on Acebook about 4-5 months ago and it's still going strong. I'm not really active at all in online ace communities or dating sites in general, but (in an act of desperation) decided to give Acebook one shot, and literally only messaged this one guy... and well, the rest is history. It's still a bit hard sometimes to believe that this is all actually happening, but what we have is basically perfect, at least for the moment.

We know we are really lucky (it definitely helped that we live in one of the biggest cities in the world, this probably wouldn't have happened where I used to live in the countryside), but I guess my point is, don't give up. Anything could happen :)

Jellyfishrider

I never had any luck with any of the asexual geared sites. They were all dead. Which is sad because, not to toot my own horn but, I am pretty amazing. Ha ha. Seriously though, I was left quite disappointed. I have just re-signed up for ace-book to give it another try though.

I don't know whether I feel more or less hopeless after trying this out. Everyone seems to keep to themselves and the one person who did contact me then proceeded to ignore me after I responded back to him. Talk about rude.

Does anyone have any experience with eHarmony and/or Compatible Partners? Are they ace-friendly, and what if you're looking for more of a QPR than something that might be considered more romantic? (Although, for me at least, there seems to be a large grey, over-lapping area.)

I love Acebook, the forums and everything, so I almost feel disloyal looking elsewhere... but so far I'm not having any luck. I think I'd have more if it wasn't for geography....

OK cupid sent me a cake slice image for my birthday....too bad they don't really cater to aces.

If I'm not mistaken eHarmony might be religious....I know one of those bigger ones is sort of geared towards Christians but I'm not 100% sure if that was it.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a few friends using OkCupid but nothing deeper than that. I eventually stopped using the app. I have tried a few of the OP sites but they're mostly dead. Is there an updated list of the more active ones that has slippedmy notice? More interested in expanding my pool of ace friends than anything right now.

Acebook is the only personals site worth looking at

Plenty of Fish is a site for people looking for sexual relationships and there is no asexual category so this is absolutely pointless.

OK Cupid does not have an asexual category but there are quite a few asexuals on it who put bisexual as their orientation. Do a search under Asexual.

Affectionate friends is a paid site

Asexual pals is a paid site

Asexualitic is a paid site even though they pretend not to be - you can't contact other members unless you pay

Celibate Passions is a public site where anyone can view your profile and your photo, you don't have to sign up to browse photos which means your private details are available for anyone to see

Platonic Partners is probably the worst of the lot - it is a paid site and the site itself is awful - most of the members haven't been online for months if you try to contact the site for help they never resond.

In a nutshell, they are all rubbish - someone should start a new one!

I'm stickying this thread with a list of personals sites that might be of interest to asexuals. Also, I'm stealing this list & descriptions from the wiki (thanks Hallu!). So without further ado...

Acebook - Formerly (?) A-Date; is a free dating site for asexuals, including integrated forums and chat software.

Affectionate Friends is "a different kind of dating site", made for people (not necessarily asexuals) who want to share time and affection without worrying about sex or commitment.

Asexual Pals is an informal introduction service that brings together asexual and celibate people for romantic and platonic relationships.

Asexualitic describes itself as "the first free dating site for asexual people", although technically it was released after the creation of A-Date, which is also free.

Celibate Passions is a dating and networking site for celibate people looking for platonic relationships. It comes with chat, message boards, and email.

Platonic Partners is a website celebrating celibate, platonic relationships, and allowing users to meet other like-minded people without the stresses of having to sexually perform. They are asexual-friendly and come with health resources and a newsletter.

I think it would be so cool if OkCupid had an option for asexual. Although I think it will be a while before a mainstream dating site is willing to acknowledge us. :( It's too bad there aren't more people out there trying to make better/more efficient options for ace people. Or if, there are, they should promote it more haha. Maybe in time.

SorryNotSorry

One thing I've been noticing is that almost all the men and women I've talked to at singles & dating meetups have tried OLD and report they'd had uniformly negative experiences with it.

OTOH the meetup organizers seen to be trying different group dynamics in the hope they'll find one that works for their members...

butterflydreams

In my experience, OLD is...to put it colloquially and bluntly...a shit show.

That being said, I'm a software engineer and web developer. I could create an OLD site that corrected the problems. They're all manufactured by the sites themselves, and they're easy to fix. The problem is getting enough people interested in the new model to get it running.

SorryNotSorry

In my experience, OLD is...to put it colloquially and bluntly...a shit show.

That being said, I'm a software engineer and web developer. I could create an OLD site that corrected the problems. They're all manufactured by the sites themselves, and they're easy to fix. The problem is getting enough people interested in the new model to get it running.

A shit show... LOL!!!

El-not-so-ace

Ace book is amazing but too few people are active. The site crashes too (for up to a few days in a row, ish... Especially weekends). If it didn't crash, I'd ask for everyone to help market it to the world. :) We need a website to promote and all be active on...

Acebook is the only one I've found to have at least people answer messages. Sure you have to be pro-active and message out yourself but that's somewhat to be expected.

OKCupid depresses me, people don't ever answer... And it's not like I send out random messages, I actually write up something related to their profile but still get ignored.

On the one hand I'm excited that there's dating sites for asexuals. But on the other hand, I find dating sites difficult. I miss meeting people in person

SorryNotSorry

I simply must find an access point into this alternate universe where dating sites actually work.

Asexualitic.com is free. I use it lots and have made a great friend on there. I was on there only minutes ago. You can private message people, join groups and forums, and they are just testing a new chat room which we all wanted.

I'll second this. Since the website redesign it seems to be more active than Acebook. I'm not a fan of Acebook's one picture limit as well.

Asexualitic.com is free. I use it lots and have made a great friend on there. I was on there only minutes ago. You can private message people, join groups and forums, and they are just testing a new chat room which we all wanted.

It isn't free.

It looks like it says it is free.

Wait what?! You can't read a message someone sends you for free? That is crazy....why would you even make an account if you can't reply to people?!

Well I'm registered on there and I have several messages I can't read unless I pay an access fee.

I'm on the same boat as Zero.Never have I ever: had to pay for Asexualitic or Ace-book. I don't know why they are making you have to pay... Maybe it's for new members? That's lame if you do have to pay. We're rare as it is, we need as much help as possible finding fellow unicorns!

If I remember right, you do need a subscription for Asexualitic...but the subscription is free and unlimited.

Subscription is the same as registering and joining the site.

After that you can make out your profile but anything else you have to pay a fee. Maybe it is for new members and not old ones, idk.

It's very misleading as on the same page where it says you have to pay, at the bottom it says it's free.

One-time Access Fee

Full members can view profiles, use the forum and send private messages to other members.

Why this access fee ?

1. To support the hard work of volunteers making this community possible
2. To help us prevent spammers and to fight scammers
3. To say thank you

The price for membership is $15.00 now.

Membership expires after 1 Year.

Archived