Dating Sites

ghosts

I've never tried these sites, not much interest... Either way, I would only look for people to talk to, not romance.

Are these sites any good, or are they just more troll-and-fraud-infested places where you get tons of spam and people whose first message is " hi r u virgin?"

Depends which ones you get on, some are better or worse than others. If you remember to set your options from the start to screen out particular types you get less vulgarity hurled at you. You have to take that sort of stuff in stride though. The part I don't like is when you've been chatting to someone and they just lose interest. I've been guilty of that too, so I can't complain, but the internet world is not the best way to meet people.

Which is one reason why I have no interest :) I had profiles on a few penpal sites some years back, but all I got were a) morons who made very vulgar inquiries or b) people who stopped writing after a couple of messages.

It's like, message 1: Hiii! Ohmygod you and I have so much in common etc. etc., message 2: Oh, hello. .... and then nothing.

Imagine that taken into real life -you meet someone at a coffee shop, they're so happy to see and want to talk about everything and before you even get inside properly, they leave and slam you to the back of your head with the door on their way out :lol:

Then again, that DOES happen in real life... I guess meeting people is always difficult.

Those places are such dead zones it's not even funny. The few people that do have profiles are either too young, too old, too far away, or haven't been on in months or years.

... That didn't stop me from signing up, though. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone had met their partner via a "conventional" dating site? (one where you could write on your profile that you were looking for a non-sexual or non-physical romantic relationship?) Or do other aces generally stick to ace-specific dating sites only?

It might be nice to have a b/f but not sure I would want to live with anyone and definitely wouldn't want to share a bedroom.

Thanks.

Update: I created a profile on "plenty of fish" and then searched "asexual" and "asexuality" as interests - on the WHOLE SITE it came up with one male match and about four females...!

It also graded me "very sexual" and "very much desire to have children" based on my test responses...something's very wrong with this picture...

• 2 weeks later...
Gho St Ory Qwan

Conventional dating sites:

It also doesn't matter if you put up that you're asexual, and explain what it is. Or put up you're not interested in sex. Or put up that you're sick of people wanting sex so not to speak to you if you're after that.

It doesn't even matter if you put up you only want friends for now.

If they want sex they will try to get you interested in it like they couldn't read it. it's shameful.

That's from my small experience.

The Ace sites are dead.

I have and will propose, 'singles and looking' AVEN meet ups. It's not a dating site here, but it just cannot be forbidden to organise such a thing on this site, if it is I would be shocked and would argue against it.

Although there are so many wanting relationships, it seems 98% of the members in such ace sites are inactive.

I think so few people are using the asexual dating sites because so few people are on it. But that is just a circular problem that could be fixed by some people signing up which will cause more and more to sign up. So sign up aces! if you have any interest in using the dating sites to meet someone. Let's pick one and start a trend. I personally like asexualitic.com the best.

I put a profile on acebook and then did a search for "people in your area" - the closest it came up with was London...

Meet ups would be good - there's a thing on Plenty of Fish when you sign in that tells you when there are singles parties/meets in your area - haven't seen any near Exeter yet but might go along to the next one if one comes up - I'll mention it here so maybe if there are any aces in the SW seeking a relationship they might like to come along?

Woo thanks for making a thread about sites like this. I just made a profile on Acebook.

I was afraid I was gonna have to come out to one of my more computer-minded friends and get him to make a dating website xD

I've decided to join a speed dating network instead. I'm tired of trawling profiles and meeting people I just don't click with in person.

That's a good idea! Hadn't thought of that and I'll probably look into it soon. As for right now, I'm on Acebook and Asexualitic. I was going to try the others on the original list but then read through a lot of the comments that they're either completely dead or paid. That's really sad. In the past I was on a couple free sexual people dating sites, but after the random messages (like others said they experienced) my profile was quickly deleted.

Acebook I'm liking, especially for the forum aspect, which people don't seem to mind when you bring back a dead topic, but no one is ever in chat and Explorer doesn't take kindly to that feature anyways, unfortunately. The people I've PM'ed back and forth with on Acebook are really nice, too. Mostly friends is what it's looking like (who knows, I can't read those signs. lol), but that's okay, too.

Asexualitic on the other hand is really not working out and this is my second attempt at it. First time I left because a troll found me and others, which they encourage reporting but when I did, they were like "oh yea, he just does that." (im paraphrasing of course, but they excused his behavior). People do not overall seem as friendly and my clearly-stated "just friends" messages have been read (they notify you) and ignored. They always have a lot of new members from all over the globe, but from my perspective, activity is low with many profiles saying they haven't signed on in a month or a year. One thing I do like about this though is a lot of detail in the profile (sometimes too many categories, but overall a feature I think could be beneficial as opposed to just a description and if you smoke or drink).

There just needs to be one epic asexual/demisexual dating site, most likely headed by Acebook since they're the best IMHO. Then we can all be sure of having our greatest chance of finding someone.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a profile on acebook and then did a search for "people in your area" - the closest it came up with was London...

Meet ups would be good - there's a thing on Plenty of Fish when you sign in that tells you when there are singles parties/meets in your area - haven't seen any near Exeter yet but might go along to the next one if one comes up - I'll mention it here so maybe if there are any aces in the SW seeking a relationship they might like to come along?

Erm, given the typical member of PoF, I really don't think one of their singles parties is the best place for an asexual.

You'd be better trying to encourage other Avenites to get a meet going. There are easily enough near Exeter.

• 3 weeks later...

Acebook seems like the best option, but I don't think I would make an account there. Only as a LAST resort. We're talking really desperate to meet a potential partner. Does Acebook let you insert dealbreakers and such? I'm young and dumb ie, no idea how dating sites work.

asexualitic.com is the best one i guess. ace-book.net is cool too but i haven't found anybody in my area. it's weird coz some people are on there but then they dont respond, some respond but they are not sure what they want. it would be nice if more people signed up and started being active

• 2 weeks later...
robintamblyn

I was talking to a guy on POF for the last few days...he seemed nice enough so I gave him my personal email address eventually...his first (and last!) email to me was basically "how about you come round my place and get naked with me, you might find you like it after all lol" Sigh. I asked him if he would say the same thing to a lesbian...no response to that one strangely... :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I joined acebook ;D

I've never joined a 'dating' site before because even off those I get creepers. But maybe this will be different? hmm...my profile there is also called 'antitime.' Don't really care if I don't get hits, just thought I'd try.

I signed up for Acebook recently as well. It does seem slow, I'll admit but one more profile one the Internet won't hurt!

• 1 month later...

I joined acebook and asexualitic but both seem really deserted every time I'm on. I'm disappointed.

I'm new to online meetup sites though so maybe I'm just doing something wrong? I can't meet anyone. :(

Thanks for these sites, I joined them all. niahflame on all of them except passions which is ayasine84.

I need to put myself "out there" and mail people but I'm so shy. I have no idea what to say. "Hey we're bot asexual. Awesome." :P

I've heard of Acebook...these sites seem interesting. But I'm currently in a relationship (for how much longer, who can tell?), and though sex does not play a part, I could consider it cheating on my end. It'd be interesting to see what others wanted in their relationship though.

I'm on both Asexualitic and Ace-Book.

I met my last girlfriend through Asexualitic although we've since broken up. I have more correspondence through Ace-Book though. It feels like people are a little less shy on Ace-Book maybe because there's also a forum there so it's not just about dating.

My advice to someone on those sites who's shy about messaging someone would be to just do it. A simple hello and maybe a quick note about some of the things you might both share in common will suffice (that's why I always try and include a few TV shows and movies I like in my bio). The very worst that will happen is they don't reply which doesn't leave you any worse of than you were before you sent the message. At best though you could find your life partner. Seems worth it to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Those places are such dead zones it's not even funny. The few people that do have profiles are either too young, too old, too far away, or haven't been on in months or years.

... That didn't stop me from signing up, though. :P

I've had that problem with asexualitic. When I did find someone who would have been a great match, they would always end up being in Texas or Florida or something. I'm way out in New York. People on that site are too scattered apart. Wish there were more New Yorkers...most of the women I've met here have been highly sexual. I just want to have a normal relationship except without sex!

GirlDreamer

Unfortunately it's really difficult to find another asexual in your own city. I guess you're lucky in the sense that you live in a big city like NY, but that's no guarantee that you'll meet another asexual. And even if you do, there's a chance that person isn't compatible with you.

What you can do, is to try and go to meet ups, and who knows, maybe you'll find a potential partner there :) Check out this thread for NY meets: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?/topic/54705-new-york-city/

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard of any new ace dating/ personals sites apart from the ones listed?

Any new one's in the works?

Anyone contemplating making a new one themselves

Just wondering?

I've heard of Acebook...these sites seem interesting. But I'm currently in a relationship (for how much longer, who can tell?), and though sex does not play a part, I could consider it cheating on my end. It'd be interesting to see what others wanted in their relationship though.

There's an option to be just "looking for pals" on Acebook, given that aromantics join as well. To me it doesn't really have a very dating-site atmosphere.

heartstring-s

I thought I'd add here that I just started a Tumblr blog called fyeahsingleaces. Basically you fill out and submit a little questionnaire and a photo of yourself (optional) and I post them to the blog. There aren't any posts yet as I just started it about an hour ago but as soon as people start submitting the blog will get more active!

So feel free to check it out c:

Omg, I have literally been fantasizing about an asexual dating service! Thank you for compiling this list! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Sophiatrist

Acebook seems to be something of a desert for older asexuals, Asexualitic is a bit better as far as number of folks on it. I can't speak to how good either actually is yet as I have only recently joined them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived