53x+m³=0?

Yeah so I was looking through the shop on the site and saw shirts and bumper stickers and stuff with this equation on it. Somebody care to explain?

Guest the_random_squirrel

it took me ages to figure it out as well, someone had to tell me in the end. and it was so obvious i felt ashamed of myself :lol:

its a bit of a play on words (numbers?) it basically translates as

53x+m³=0

Sex+me=no

hope this helps ^_^

I'm glad someone brought this up since I haven't understood the reference either. Don't know why I didn't ask it.

Where x is the speed of light in a vacuum.

< _ <

> _ >

it took me ages to figure it out as well, someone had to tell me in the end. and it was so obvious i felt ashamed of myself :lol:

its a bit of a play on words (numbers?) it basically translates as

53x+m³=0

Sex+me=no

hope this helps ^_^

I think it would classify as a rebus (to be pedantic) although not exactly so as a rebus normally uses the "sound" of what you see combined to make a word. This perhaps would be a "txtspk rebus" (and I don't speak txt)

a classic "written" rebus is:

If Bmt put:

if B.putting:

Note..this has to be read in english not american english

I'm just picking on a little detail here but the last character is Ø rather than 0. So the phrase is "53x + m³ = Ø." It's l33tspeak disguised as a math problem and when I first wrote it I was thinking, "Sex plus me equals no result."

Ironically, I actually loathe l33tspeak.

*blinks*

*tilts head*

*blinks again*

I give up.

LOL.

5 looks like S and 3 looks like E. Does that help?

Oh, no... I got THAT part. I understand what the equation means, and all that.

It was your post right above mine that threw me off LOL.. the l33tspeak and stuff haha

Oh, okay.

That phrase actually took me about five minutes to create and I thought people would hate it. I decided to put it on a shirt anyway because it was the first original thing I had done in the visibility shop. Now I see it on people's userbars and other places so I guess I was wrong.

Shortass Lady
That phrase actually took me about five minutes to create and I thought people would hate it.

Noooo, it's great! I think it's pretty clever!

Just thinking...the sexual version could be the same but with a 'y' on the end instead of a '0'.

It might come across as a more of an abstinence thing more than an asexual thing to some.

I knew I should have taken a Maths A- Level

I learnt no more after arguing with the teacher in my GCSE class - he wanted me to sit and do nothing when I finished my coursework before the lesson was done and I wanted to do other coursework.

Is that a first? Arguing with the teacher because you WANT to work?

I knew I should have taken a Maths A- Level

I learnt no more after arguing with the teacher in my GCSE class - he wanted me to sit and do nothing when I finished my coursework before the lesson was done and I wanted to do other coursework.

Is that a first? Arguing with the teacher because you WANT to work?

I did AS maths for a few months and failed it spectacularly lol, even though I got a B at GCSE.

I still kind of like maths so I think the equation's pretty funny.

haha, I got it the first time I saw it. I thought it was really clever! ;D

if I was more of a math nerd and was into shirts that voice my views I'd totally buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

That's... um... obscure. :blink:

Oh well, At least I get it now!

^_^

-Katie

Roger Mellie

I'm going to ask a really dense question.

Why does m8 (superscript) mean "me"? Thought it would "m3"?!! :S

[Dons conical cap with D on]

Because in math you wouldn't write m3, you always put the number before the variable. That's why I decided to go with m³, I wanted people to think it was just an equation at first glance.

Roger Mellie

Because in math you wouldn't write m3, you always put the number before the variable. That's why I decided to go with m³, I wanted people to think it was just an equation at first glance.

Ah, I see. My maths (and eyesight) is so good, I thought it was an 8 not a 3 [doh] .

Well there are three types of people in this world; those who can count, and those who can't.