Sherlock Holmes (literary asexual)

Guest lupincanis

From my reading of the books, I'd say it was quite clear he was meant to be Asexual, even if Sir Arthur would never have categorised him in those precise terms. It was quite apparent his passion for crime-solving and opium swallowed and eclipsed any drive he could ever have directed towards anyone else, despite what the Irene Adler shippers would protest.

Interestingly, similar traits have been attributed to the historical J. M. Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan.

P.

• 1 year later...

Interesting discussion and exactly what I was looking for! I also see Holmes as asexual/demisexual. Some people put him on the autism scale, but I don't think that would be correct, as he (in the Conan Doyle books) shows compassion on many occasions and he can read people (comes with the job).

Most new books with him as the main character or supporting role try to put him into a romantic relationship with a heroine (who lands him in her bed and ends up being the love of his life) and that feels off to me.

Wouldn't it be much more interesting to let Holmes and heroine solve crimes galore and let them have a romantic asexual relationship? Oh my, I can hear the Shades of Grey fans screaming "halleluja!".

That brings me to the one thing about modern literature (no wait, I wanted to say "bestsellers") that makes me a little sick - depth of human relationship doesn't pull in sales as much as sex does. It can be totally superficial - if juices are exchanged en masse the book will sell.

I'm itching to write a deep, loving, respectful relationship between an asexal and a sexual. I wonder where that story would end up? In terms of character development and plot. Conflic will be there, heart ache, and eventually some happieness. (you see, its not yet well thought through) But one thing I can tell for sure - it will disappoint the masses (not that I care much).

I highly doubt Sir Doyle knew anything about asexuality, but he seemed to have made a pretty accurate portrait all the same. Holmes had no interest in the opposite sex, in fact, he scoffed at it. When presented with attractive and intelligent clients his interest in them went to zero the momment the case was solved, but he wasn't an uncarring bastard because of his pursuit of justice and his tendency to take matters into his own hands when he knew the law couldn't settle it. And his caring for Watson. It was not homoerotic (no matter what tumblr and fanfics like to say). He trusted Watson with everything and relied on him to be his wingman and his confidant. Holmes and Watson are the ultimate bromance and the percursor to the buddy-cop genre.

As with Irene Adler, I don't think his attraction to her was sexual, but he did have some extra feeling with her. Isn't there an intellectual attraction?

Does anyone know of the Mary Russel series by Laurie R. King? If you like Holmes pastiche, you should look into it. It's the ONLY book that has done romance with Holmes right if you ask me. King didn't just suddenly add sexuality that wasn't there, the character (Mary) and Holmes meet when he's retired and he just starts teaching her stuff because he's bored and she looks smart enough to aborb the vast knowledge he has, and then when events put them in dangerous situations they learn that they can trust eachother with anything. In Mary Holmes gained a partner he could trust with everything (like he did with Watson) and in Holmes Mary gained a confidant who understood her... and someone who can break the monotony of university work with intentionally pissing off dangerous criminals. Honestly, if I were to fall in love with someone, THAT'S how it would go (chasing dangerous criminals need not be the situation though >.>)

Just because of my username, I figured I should add my 2 cents.

I think Doyle's Sherlock Holmes is asexual, even though Doyle wouldn't have known the word at the time. However, it's all in the reader/viewer's interpretation. In the end, does it really matter? They're great detective stories, and romance doesn't really come into it.

Well, it kind of does matter, because that makes him a role model, and people need that, particularly when there is really no visibility of asexuality. And when we're drowning in examples of hetero-normal love since infancy it would be nice to point to one case where it DOESN'T have to be that way. It's helped the gay community tremendously I believe.

Hey Rol34,

I totally agree. Holmes is the main reason for me to be in this forum - he is featured in my novels and should remain asexual. I needed a break from all that FanFic where the heroines always end up in bed with him. Especially after the BBC Sherlock series :-/

I also believe that books (fiction) can educate people. Wouldn't it be cool if its suddenly OK for a man to not want sex? And what if he would meet a sexual woman who tickles his brain enough but she let's him be what he is?

Also - I'm fed up with the Shades of Grey hype (has anyone recently seen the Amazon Bestseller lists? Largest portion is romance/erotica)

*shudders* I work in a library, I refuse to touch fifty shades with my bare hands because of the way women (particularly older women) practically orgasm on the spot talking about it. It's gross. :blink:

And damnit I am still waiting for a proper story where the role of the woman isn't to just get with the guy, where they can work together and for once NOT have the relationship descend into a mess of hormones. I dunno why, but those relationships just seem so completely fake. If the only reason why two people are together are just chemical reactions it just looks stupid. Which is why I love Sherlock Holmes because he ignores that shit. It's not like I don't EVER want him to find someone, just don't make him lose his head for some Mary Sue.

And novels you say? Care you share? :p *always on the lookout for new Holmes pastiche*

Wait a sec, like, a legit published novel? Awesome. I shall have to steal my mom's kindle and download it after work. I'll let you know what I think about it. I'm working on filling up a rather large bookcase of Holmes pastiche because there is no such thing as too much. :D

I can see why people would make the assumption that he was gay, based on his relationship with Watson. I agree that he comes across as asexual though. He just didn't seem to have any interest in sex with anyone. I think that if he did have any sexual relations Conan Doyle would have said so, he mentions the relationships of other characters in his stories.

I really liked Jeremy Brett's portrayal too. That was classic Holmes to me.

I stand by my opinion that Sherlock is/was asexual. His romantic orientation and preference may be gay or bi or whatever but I just cant imagine him being anything other than asexual. (Maybe he did love Watson (and Irene) but that doesn't always count as him being sexual does it?)

@Vyvanni I think he did love Watson (as a best friend), didnt love Irene (he barely met her) and was asexual (and that statement comes from a boring heterosexual like me).

@RoL34 Its available as a paperback, too. Same link.

PLEASE leave a feedback on Amazon. Its the only way for indie authors to tap into the book market.

Annelie

Uh RoL34,

before you buy the thing - one word of caution: Holmes is NOT the main character, hence no Holmes pastiche. Also, there is one hinted sex scene (not with Holmes, obviously) - as the MC is sexual. But its a crime novel, so you won't find much of any romance stuff there. At times the crime stuff is quite yucky...

There, synopsis (be warned :ph34r: )

In Victorian London's cesspool of crime and disease, a series of murders remains undiscovered until a cholera victim is found floating in the city's drinking water supply. Dr Anton Kronberg, England's best bacteriologist, is called upon to investigate and finds evidence of abduction and medical maltreatment. While Scotland Yard has little interest in pursuing the case, Kronberg pushes on and crosses paths with Sherlock Holmes. The detective immediately discovers Kronberg's secret - a woman masquerading as a man in order to practice medicine - a criminal deed that could land her in prison for years to come. But both must join forces to stop a crime so monstrous, it outshines Jack the Ripper's deeds in brutality and cold-bloodedness.

It's Victorian crime drama - works for me! But thanks for the heads up.

Archived