Disappearing members

IT

Reading the recently resurrected "Surpressing sex drive to become asexual" thread it reminded me of how amazing it is that there are many members with high post counts who haven't posted anything in months!

What could be the reasons for this? (apart from the obvious 'person who thought they were asexual discovers they were actually sexual after all' type of reason)

Going through earlier threads too it is really worrying how many frequent posting members suddenly stop posting and just don't appear to come back. :(

Any thoughts?

I have noticed this too, and commented on it once. In one case I know what happened, but what has become of Skiddalox? Now you see 'em, now you don't ...

Maybe we should start a missing person's list ... ?

-Greybird

Live R Perfect

Yeah, I often wonder about this. Is it, like IT Wiz said, just a case of asexual-identfied people finding out they are actually sexual after all, or do people just become so comfortable with their asexuality that they find they don't need the support of the online community anymore?

It'd be nice if they could return just once to let us know what it is...

bard of aven

If only they were here to tell us, they wouldn't have to.

boa

I'm sure Skidd will be back perhaps when the weather becomes cold.

He needed breathing room.

<waves frantically> HEY SKATEPIXIE! </waves frantically>

Good to see you again! :D Where ya been keepin' yerself?

"Disappearing Members"? Sounds like the name of a band! LOL

Cronos is being run ragged at work, I know that but yeah, just like in any circle, people come and go.

I dissapeared, but Im back now!

Hello Skatepixie

Glad you've made it back. Looking at your list of posts, you 'disappeared' for just over five months until May 15th. What happened? Was it work commitments? Studying commitments? Boredom with the site? Something else?

Answer if you feel comfortable enough too. :)

yeah, well if i can get all the crap together quickly in the next little bit, we might see a burst of people return during our anniversary.

(btw, gorax if you see this did you get my pm,....has anyone gotten anyof my pm in the last few days...?)

Cate Perfect

I got your pm about Rasputina (loved it, thanks! :D) but that's all I've received.

Cate

guardianoftheblind

That seems to be the nature of online communities. Some people come... some people go... some people go on hiatus... some people come back... some people disappear... some people never leave...

Cate Perfect

Some might be lurking more than posting now.

*waves to oogie boogie*

Cate

wednesday's child

*points up at Cate* yeah, what she said. Of course, some of us are just perma-lurkers. XD;

Cate Perfect

Yup. *whacks Tressa on the back* That's us. :D

Cate

Ineptitude

It's not spam if you're imparting enlightening information on the AVEN community. Enlightening information, I say!!

fluffy_hime

I think a lot of people were busy this semester as well, especially around finals.

They had a missing persons list around when I joined. Apparently every few months regular members become unregular and people look for them. :D

• 4 months later...

I'm going to bring this old, dusty thread up again because I was looking through some old posts (why, at midnight, I don't know), and realized Skiddaloxx hasn't been around for awhile!

So, a new, official Missing Person's List. If you have any information about these AVENites, please call 1-800-FIND-AVEN.

Skiddaloxx - last seen in April '04

JKReagan - last seen in July '04

Izzy - last seen in June '04

Cronos - last seen in April '04

Hats - last seen in December '03

Underminethewalls - last seen in May '04 (Didn't he quit his job and start traveling?)

Strange Little Girl - last seen in December '03

Davelwhite - last seen in May '04

Platonicpimp - last seen in July '04

Trix4therabbits - last seen in May '04

And some others not seen since August: DocteurQui, BrotherWilbur, and Tanzabus.

Aaand that's as far down the list of posters I went. Anyone know of any others?

Live R Perfect

I still chat to Izzy sometimes on MSNM. She's back at college doing her A levels and is generally OK except for a chest infection. I'll tell her to get her ass back in here and say hello sometime. :wink:

Whatever happened to StarBoy23?

Maybe he's only been on holiday or something since last posting on 1st September...

... but his last few posts appear to be deleted, so maybe he's another one for the disappeared list?

Live R Perfect

Hmmm yeah... thats a mystery...

He seems to have gone on a post-editing binge between the 8th and the 12th of this month...

Starboy, Starboy, wherefore art thou, Starboy?

Starboy got a 9-5 job and has been pretty busy.

I still enjoy private messages with him from time to time.

-Greybird

ah, well, it's good to know he's still around & that it's just real life getting in the way...

I sometimes have these moments of paranoia and wonder whether some of these people you only knew online before they vanish were suddenly killed in a car crash, or worse, committed suicide or something...

Unless you've some contact (however indirect) with someone who knows them in the real world, you might never find out what happened. :?

I sometimes have these moments of paranoia and wonder whether some of these people you only knew online before they vanish were suddenly killed in a car crash, or worse, committed suicide or something...

Unless you've some contact (however indirect) with someone who knows them in the real world, you might never find out what happened. :?

I've always said that, too. If I were to buy it somewhere, sometime, how would anyone know? Not just on here but the other boards I'm on.

::sobs:: Stop you guys! Think positive!

Right...so...anyone have any additional information? I don't want to put up signs but I will...Cijay you know Cronos don't you?

Live R Perfect

Hi skitzo! :D Good to see you're still about! So when did you come to this realisation? I don't mean to be nosey, but...well, I guess I am! :wink:

Archived