Does girl stuff gross you out?

ButterFlyHigh
Stuff like bras, tampons, underwear/thongs, that sort of thing... This is mainly a question for girls, but does it gross you out, or freak you out, or anything?

YES Finally some people who think like me! I always though I was the only one..

I'm not discusted by underwears and bras but it's not like I appreciate them either. Plus, I've never used a tampon because I just can't. I don't know why, each time I think about it I want to faint... (well not as much)

Yeah miss_take, I like clothes shopping nowadays, but I used to hate it the same way : P

I use to hate shopping but now I king of like it...:)

nackteziege

I had to buy a thong for my prom dress a few months ago and almost experienced the same thing. I have a very negative association with them and I felt...slutty...or something making the purchase. I took my mom with me and was freaking out over being subtle and whatever. I had to buy a different one when the first weren't quite right, and I went with a friend to Victoria's Secret. I made it remarkably awkward and wished the bags were less "ZOMG VS!".

I've never found bras uncomfortable and I've never been fitted [would it be traumatic? probably]. I actually, despite rocking small boobs, feel them highly necessary as I tend to participate in activities like DDR regularly [jumping around without a bra? no thanks.].

I have no issues with tampons. I would yell about my bleeding vagina.

I think any lingerie that is supposed to be sexy makes me very uncomfortable. Actually, VS makes me feel very uncomfortable because it's so in-your-face SEXISTHEBESTTHINGEVERWEAROURSTUFFANDHAVEGREATSEXANDBESOSEXY.

When I was in school, I was the girl going to the nurse asking for tampons.. for HALF the class! Girls would sneak me a note, telling me they needed one. I'd walk right out of the nurse's office with 6 in my hand. If anyone asked what they were.. I'd hold one up and say, "Tampon! Anyone else need one?"

Yeah, I am one of those girls with NO shame. Though I've never showed off period-stained underwear or my pubic hairs.. The um.. opportunity? never arose I guess LOL

I feel a little weird shopping for bras, but I just do it anyways. I get extra confident in weird situations, so I can try and make myself believe it's okay LOL

Most days, I HATE putting on a bra because they aren't comfy for me.. but I can't stand the feeling of not having my breasts secure. Bouncing breasts hurt, and I am not girly-girl... I am out on horses, wrenching on trucks, and working the dogs - I don't have time to think about my breasts, or time to deal with them hurting! So I lock 'em up in a bra and we're good to go! lol

I can't do tampons. Tried once.. then I got to thinking about, and the idea that there was an absorbent thing inside me soaked in my period.. I couldn't do it after that! Periods are just WAY too inconvenient.. I don't think there is any way to deal with them and be physically comfortable. But mentally, I am over it.

And the underwear! I love boy short underwear.. VERY comfy. But, I wear thongs - not g strings - on a daily basis. They ARE comfy, and I don't let them wedge REALLY far in to where they are uncomfortable. My fiance picked out some underwear for me the other day, and one was a g-string.. all I could do was hold it up and say, "Where the rest of it?" I went so far as to try it on.. and it was NOT comfortable!

So all in all.. none of it freaks me out. Some of it is annoying, but.. I have no shame, so I deal with it and don't hide it!

I refuse to leave the house without a bra on, or I'll feel so naked! Plus its not comfortable without one on while doing activities. For underwear, I'll still feel so naked without it. I actually like shopping for my support bras at the stores and see which one outlasts the other brands and what fits my body the best and most of all if its comfortable at all. I sure take my time in choosing bras.

For tampon- its a blessing!

No, working with female clients with low functioning IQ levels, one can find themselves getting over the facts of life really fast. I'm very rarely embarassed when female issues comes up nowadays. They're more open minded about the most basic human functions than anybody I know of, literally.

Sounds like your mom wants you to be "normal" because she's uncomfortable with and frightened of "not normal." Probably 99% of any country's population doesn't understand asexuality so she's not -- hah, I was going to say "abnormal" in her wish.

What's always grossed me out with underwear, pads, etc. is that it all seems to be talked about in terms of the female body being attractive to males. If we just wore underwear for ourselves, that would be fine, but it's supposed to be "pretty" and "attractive". "Attractive" means we're supposed to attract, like attract other bodies, usually male. Ick.

Suzie Spook

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.

I remember my Mum tried to talk me into wearing a bra when I was, oooh, eleven or twelve? I don't know WHY since I don't have a particularly large chest now, so I doubt I did then... I suppose she was just trying to get me used to it, or something. It didn't work out too well though--I refused to try any of them on in store, then she ended up sneaking one past me and trying to get me to wear it when we were home, but I pretty much had a breakdown over it and she gave up for quite a while.

She mentions it on and off now, but I just ignore her. I don't care what she says, I am NOT wearing one of those things, because the very idea creeps me out, and, as I said, my chest isn't too large, so I don't see why I need to.

I wear baggy T-Shirts for most of the part anyway, and I always wear a vest under them, which I think is plenty for me. On the very odd occasions (say, Halloween costume?), I'll wear a sports bra if I have to, but that's the furthest you'll get me to go. I don't leave the house much anyway, nor do many people visit, so it's not as if anyone would know the difference anyway, even if I did have something to cover up, lol. Thankfully not though. The other underwear isn't so bad though, although I just wear regular panties (*shudders* urgh, do not like that word), I guess you'd call them? None of the fancy stuff for me!

Tampons... errgh. The very idea creeps me out.

Pads may not be the best thing, but I just make do with them for now.

Shortass Lady

I'm OK with most girl-stuff, bras and the like. I wouldn't wear a thong though, they look a bit uncomfortable...like having a piece of string giving you a wedgie all day...no thanks!

Freaking out on a shop floor though is quite an unusual reaction. As others have said, you needn't buy racy, lacy underwear if you don't want, there is more functional stuff around. If you have to do it again, just try deep breaths and 'sucking it up' as I believe the expression goes. Just psyche yourself up a bit and hold your head high! And who cares if anyone thinks you're being slutty by purchasing a bra? Most people won't think that, and any odd judgemental weirdo that does deserves to have their opinions ignored anyway!

I just don't like having to go out and choose a bra and such. I think I'm afraid that someone will see me browsing and think that I'm buying it because I want to look sexy (which isn't the case, and that's even kind of an absurd idea. But I still think it)

I understand this part. I mean, just look at the packages...every single one of them has some half-naked chick on them, like that's the way everyone really walks around <_< Even worse is the fact that they can't keep all that in the center of the women's section...instead, they have to flaunt it out on the edge of the aisle so every tom, dick, and harry can see it (no pun intended, sorries) so basically, I feel more degraded as a woman by buying a bra than anything else, just being seen in the same aisle as all the pictures and what not.

The menstration thing just kinda ticks me off...and I find myself grossed out a bit about the blood and how it smells EWIE!

A thong has never interested me. I think its the most stupid invention ever. That's not underwear, its a disfunctional sling shot.

I am quite fussy about bras, I only have a couple of ol' reliables that actually hold me still so I wear them to death and leave the rest untouched in my drawer for months. Wish I could get a few more of them but they are a bit of a luxury purchase for me.

Pants - I wear almost always thongs/g-strings. I do actually find them the most comfortable and practical although I can see how that would be hard to believe. If I am wearing big pants the odds are I am not going anywhere, and maybe I'm a bit ill, just slobbing at home in some jogging bottoms and feeling like a slug.

Tampons - Now I know there are health concerns about them and that reusable alternative options are likely to be better. Unfortunately I do appreciate the convenience of them, and not having to dig around inside myself to fish out some kind of giant tofu/hemp insert. Maybe in future I'll have the will to convert.

The price of tampons however is disgusting. :evil: Notice how anybody can get a complete supply of condoms for free from a sexual health clinic? Alright there's the disease thing, and the contraception. Condoms are fantastic and should be free. But women don't have a choice in having periods, unlike people engaging in sexual intercourse. I saw free tampons in a pub toilet once and was really impressed, it really stood out, as rarer than rocking horse crap.

I read that when Buster Bloodvessel (singer from English 80s ska band Bad Manners) was running for London mayor some years back, one of his policies was to make tampons and sanitary towels free for all women within the M25 (London orbital motorway).

I used to be on the depo provera injection for a few years and in all that time I had no periods at all. It felt great to be free of that bother, just like a kid.

What I really, really get icked about is pregnancy, everything about it, and birth. That cannot be natural! :wacko:

Quite glad that it is though, or else none of us would be here...

ok well im 19.. soon 20 (july 4th) yay.. anyways... i am happy that this topic is here.. ive never really gotten to talk to someone about this cuz they always look at me like im crazy or i dont know.. so here i go :rolleyes:

about the pads and tampons, i never use them!!.. cuz i have irregular period or something like that which i have it like once a year? yea, very weird BUT I LOVE MY OVARIES cuz they dont work good lol.. and i hope i keep being this way although i think that my doctor doesnt recommend it for me, i would hate to wear tampons or pads.. i always hear my girl friends complaining about it and it scares me! :blink:

the bras and panties.. Ok well i wear bras.. when im outside of my house, but while im here in my house i dont use it cuz i dont feel comfortable..and panties, i used to like thongs, i have like more than 10 but i dont use them anymore cuz i find them stupid and if i remember the next time ill go shoppin ill buy some boxers.. but yea i wear cute panties :rolleyes:

i used to wear a lot of makeup that sometimes i would look scary like a clown lol.. j/k but i used to wear a lot.. now i just use black eye liner and clear shiny lipgloss and powder for my face. thats it.. all natural.. n i have like 11 piercings? i took some off :ph34r:

i used to be very girly till i graduated high school. the same day of Prom i cut my hair very short, yea like a boy.. i looked like my idol singer PINK... in college, the 90% of the time im always in jeans and a tshirt or a boy tank... my hair is a little bit long than before cuz all my friends want to see me with long hair (which i hate).. im usually criticized by my mother and some friends sayin that i look like a "lesb" , but i dont care cuz i know im straight and i like being the way i am :D

When i see girls going to college in high heels and very tight pants and showing off their boobs it disgusts me, sometimes i hope they fall cuz they look ridiculous going so "pretty" to a big ass college campus.. "Hello girls we're not at a party..."

mmmmm what else can i say? i consider my self a tomboy.. although i do have my femme side, cuz when i go out to SOME parties i do get high heels on and probably wear a short dress and get make up on.. but this is like once or twice a year.. :redface:

sometimes i say to myself .. im a boy, that likes men..am i gay boy? Lol..nah. i know im a girl that just acts likes a boy sometimes and doesnt act too femme. i like men :wub:

anyways.. i hate girly stuff the most of time. i like sports. i pimped my SUV. i have more guy friends than girl friends. and thats how i am. :D

What I really, really get icked about is pregnancy, everything about it, and birth. That cannot be natural! :wacko:

Quite glad that it is though, or else none of us would be here...

i hear ya... i have a phobia of ever getting pregnant.. but i really dont have interest in sex and i have problems with my ovaries so i guess i wont ever get pregnant? :)

thatisfuckedup

I like pretty clothes, and underwear is no exception, it`s a way to treat yourself, a selfish treat. :)

I like feeling all girly.

but tampons, ugh! me using tampons is as likely as me having sex, no way.

I'm not freaked out by bra's or underwear. With bras, i basically have no boobs (and I like it that way) so I don't really need to deal with those much at all..just a really basic sports bra thing but nothing else, so I can't put much input in on that topic. Thongs are weird, but I don't really have an opinion on underwear in general, it's ok in my book.

Ok, so this is one thing that always kind of freaks me out and I think it is totally weird and I DON'T GET IT. Why do a lot of girls like to talk about their periods? Why do they like to bring it up in conversation...they just randomly start talking about it! I totally don't get it at all, and it makes me uncomfortable when they talk about it because I feel like they want me to add some input to the conversations about their periods and I don't want to say anything and I have nothing to say. It weirds me out, dude!...tampons weird me out too...you could get..toxic shock syndrome from them!

Juniperberry
Stuff like bras, tampons, underwear/thongs, that sort of thing... This is mainly a question for girls, but does it gross you out, or freak you out, or anything?

I'm very new to this site, but I can't believe how many topics I find here that ring true to me. I always thought I was the only one that had all these thoughts.

I've gotten to the point now that I think of bras and underwear as just another article of clothing, and I like frilly lacy things so as long as the bra is still functional, I don't mind. Those bras that are transparent, non-supportive doilies are just plain ridiculous and rather gross.

But it took me a while to be able to go bra shopping. For a long time I ordered bras online. And I too was mortified when my mom forced me to go bra shopping with her. I refused to get out of the car. I didn't want to go walking around with a ton of bras in my hands while walking around a public place. She, however, thought I was being stupid and would constantly get upset with me about me not wanting to go shopping with her. Mostly because I was so freaked out that someone would see me and think that I was buying bras because I wanted someone to see them....ugh.....now I realize that no one in a store is really going to remember me and few people really concentrate on what other people are doing, but yeah, it took me a long time to be able to be semi comfortable with bra shopping. Even now, if I go to the store, I'll feel a little uncomfortable.

Really the best thing, just buy them online. No annoying sales lady pestering you.

I'm fine with bras and underwear I actually like them. Since I normally wear a robe over my clothes outside, I like to have nice things to wear on the inside. I do find periods such a bother however. I can't get along with the crowd that worships menstrual blood; I see it like worshipping any other random bodily function like pissing or farting or something. I suppose it's because I don't find reproduction special. However, I find environmentally-friendly sanitary products quite fascinating. If I weren't a virgin, I would use a Diva cup. To me, they're not gross like tampons or pads.

SpirallingSnowy

About the comment i made about Super tampons being for ppls who have had kids....

It was mum, she went "you shouldnt need them yet, not till youve had kids" and ive had a few friends who kinda go are you serious you need them?? kinda attitude... and yeah i do....

MorningStar

Wow...TMI, LOOOOL!!!

Nah, I fine with most of all the above, even if my menstrual cycle annoys seven kinds of sh!t out of me, but hey...^^;; I live with it. I don't have a choice, really...

Bras...well, annoy me no end because they are so BLOODY UNCOMFORTABLE! No? For some reason, each and every bra I've had tends to CUT and BRUISE. <_<

As for thongs, I like. They're comfy and I have this thing about a VPL...^^;;

nackteziege

I've used super tampons before. Whatever. It has nothing to do with kids or sex-having, some people just need to control a heavier flow.

The reason girls talk about their periods is for the same reason we all end up here talking about our [a]sexuality. When we can talk about them and relate, it makes this horrible monthly routine seem more normal. It helps girls to realize that the nasty, painful experiences they have with it are shared by others. That's why I talk about it at least. It's also nothing to be ashamed of because you can't help it! It's your body being healthy, which is always a good thing. I can understand not wanting to talk about it because it's gross though.

martianJusticiar

Wow, it sounds like your mom is the one with the problem. :\

I, too, don't like bras, and while I will wear underwear, I'm just as happy to go commando so long as there isn't the whole bleeding issue (which is another story of annoyance entirely.... so pointless, and not good for someone who tends towards serious anemia!). Mom (and, on occasion Dad) has tried to get me to wear bras in the past, but even the ones that don't have wires on them (ugh) I never get in the habit of wearing unless required for work or whatever. :\

Really, I wish I hadn't gone through puberty and all the annoying aspects thereof. It's not like I got anything useful like a decent height out of it. All these useless, complicated things to deal with when the purpose thereof is never going to be fulfilled anyways.

The underwear/bra issue is very familiar to me. I used to be INCREDIBLY uncomfortable shopping for bras, in fact I wore sports bras for years because I could just grab them off the rack in Walmart. In the end, sports bras simply weren't doing the job anymore and I got stuck going bra shopping. The first time was a nightmare, but making fun of them helped. I picked the planest I could find, and got the heck out of there.

All of my bras are now the 'lacey' kind. I absolutely hate them, but can't find any decent ones that are otherwise in my size.

Underwear... I buy that the same way I have since I was a kid (it helps that my mom has even worse clothing issues than I do). I find my size, the basic style I want, and grab a couple packs off the rack in Walmart. Then I get out of there as fast as I can and hope that no one I know is working cash register.

Same thing goes for pads; I've never worn a tampon, and definitely never plan to. When I have to buy pads, though, I put them in the cart, don't make eye contact at the register, and escape ASAP.

When things like needing a bra and getting my period happened? I CRIED. And I yelled. And my mom and I had huge arguments about it (not being overly logical, I was declaring that I did not WANT these things and thus would not HAVE them). Slowly, the revulsion numbed. But it took a lot of facing the nightmare of it all over and over and just desensitizing myself.

Luvdisc,

When I was a teenager, I hated shopping for bras with my mom. Do you think you would feel more comfortable shopping for bras/ panties by yourself? If so, can your mom drop you off at the mall and let you do your own shopping? That way your mom doesn't have to be embarrassed and you don't have to listen to her upsetting comments.

Do you feel comfortable with your body? Sometimes it takes a while especially if you are going through puberty. It takes some adjusting with bras. For me, I was one of the last to develop in my class and felt self-conscious. Sometimes being larger or smaller than other girls can make it difficult.

Throne Eins

I wouldn't say I hate bras and underwear (finding cute ones is actually quite fun!), but I am very frustrated by them.

I don't like bras because up until two years ago, I had a massive, massive chest, so not only were bras that actually fit me extremely hard to find, but they were ugly as hell. I didn't get to wear the cute little Victoria's Secret stuff. I got to wear the industrial-strength "mom bras" that you can see under anything other than a sweater. I've since had a reduction, but I'm still a DD (hehe, does that give you an idea of how big I used to be??), so it's still very difficult to find cute bras.

As for underwear, I wear very low-rise pants because I have big hips and a small waist, so anything else looks and feels horrible on me. It's tough for me to find underwear that doesn't show over the top of my pants. I'm also a "larger" girl, and underwear manufacturers seem to think that if you're not a size zero, you want panties that go up to your armpits. Yuck.

I hate and despise pads because I hate and despise my stupid uterus and the fact that I bleed for 360 out of the 365 days of the year. I can't use tampons because they just won't go in, and due to other medical issues, I can't take hormonal birth control to stop my periods. I wish I could rip the damn organ out and be done with it.

I'm not freaked out by it or anything, but I refuse to wear anything "feminine" that's overly uncomfortable.

I hate make-up, for instance, because I don't like poking things in my eyes. And besides, what's the point? It's just more effort, and I don't care anyway.

I would NEVER wear a thong. *shudder*

Mostly, I don't care, as long as it's comfortable. I'll wear feminine stuff occasionally; make-up - never; certain types of underwear -never. But I do wear a skirt or dress, even, maybe once or twice a year. Except that, when I wear them, I wear them in a boyish way, if that's possible. I always wear shorts and stuff underneath, I NEVER do more to my hair than brush it - won't touch hair spray or cream or whatever.

Just, most of the stuff girls do to "look beautiful" doesn't make sense to me. Too much work. -_-

-Katie

Throne Eins
Just, most of the stuff girls do to "look beautiful" doesn't make sense to me. Too much work. -_-

Haha, I totally agree. But one of the things I can't figure out about myself is that I'm a total beauty product junkie. I have TONS of hair stuff, skin products, makeup, you name it. And I never use the stuff! I always say, "Well, I'll start dressing nice and everything" when I buy the stuff, but when I go to get dressed, it's like, "Man, screw this, it's too much work." XD

Hallucigenia

Haha, I totally agree. But one of the things I can't figure out about myself is that I'm a total beauty product junkie. I have TONS of hair stuff, skin products, makeup, you name it. And I never use the stuff! I always say, "Well, I'll start dressing nice and everything" when I buy the stuff, but when I go to get dressed, it's like, "Man, screw this, it's too much work." XD

Sounds to me like you could be buying the beauty products out of a sense of obligation or guilt, or a semi-conscious desire to be more "normal" or "feminine" - but the obligation/desire isn't strong enough to actually make you go through the regimen in the morning. Does that make sense? Looking at things, imagining yourself wearing them, and buying them (presuming you have enough disposable income) takes a lot less effort than actually dolling yourself up in them on a daily basis.

Or that could be totally off base. Sorry to armchair-psychologize. I just thought I'd chime in since you said you couldn't figure it out.

I don't use such things myself, but I went through a period of sporadically (and incorrectly) wearing them in my early teens, because I wanted to be pretty and desirable like the girls I saw around me.

I'll do that with clothes... for example, one day I bought a dress. Don't know what I was thinking. I got all excited about wearing it, then went home, tried it on and thought, WOW. I am never wearing this in public. Same with skirts... and certain types of shirts. I buy them thinking, oh, I can wear them and look pretty for once.

And then I have a relapse and go back to jeans and plain tank-tops. :rolleyes:

-Katie

When things like needing a bra and getting my period happened? I CRIED. And I yelled. And my mom and I had huge arguments about it (not being overly logical, I was declaring that I did not WANT these things and thus would not HAVE them). Slowly, the revulsion numbed. But it took a lot of facing the nightmare of it all over and over and just desensitizing myself.

Same here!!! Exactly the same.

Now I've gotten to the point where I think of bras and underwear as just clothing that most women buy, so I can usually buy them without much embarrassment. But at the same time, I don't linger: I know what I want, and I toss them in my cart and go on with my shopping. The only ones I wear are sport bras, the kind that squashes everything to your chest. Cheap, no-frills sport bras from Wal-Mart. I'd feel self-conscious wearing "real" bras that seperate and lift everything. I've never been fitted for one, so I have no clue as to what size I'd be. I was blessed with a small bosom anyway, and I'm glad for that!

It looks like I'm one of the minority here who's grossed out not by tampons, but by maxi-pads. The disgusting, sweaty pillows. Once I tried out tampons in high school, I never went back.

Periods are just sickening things that seem to come at the most inconvienent times, such as vacations. Although I suppose the alternative could be worse (being pregnant.) But now, even though I still dread that time every month, it's become just sort of "ho-hum, here it is again, just get it over with." But for years, I was just the way hawkelf described herself. In my teens and 20's, I'd sometimes get terrible spells the first or second day, where first I'd get hot sweats then cold chills where I couldn't get warm, a terrible back and stomachache where I'd curl up on my side in pain, nausea and exaustion. All that would cure it was to sleep it off for a few hours, then I'd be fine. There were many times I'd have to leave work or school early. (I don't think that was toxic shock syndrome, because it sometimes happened back when I used other products.) But once I hit 30 I've been fortunate that it's light and usually painless (knock on wood!) But I still don't see the point to the whole sordid mess. I don't care if I'm fertile, because I never want to have a baby, anyway.

Underpants don't bother me any. What's wrong with them? I like just plain high-rise or bikini-type undies with a wide band. Or boy-cut shorts. As a kid I wore hideous granny-pannies (my size, of course,) then men's boxer briefs, but now I think I've settled on what's comfortable. No G-strings for me! That's just plain silly, and impractical.

What I could never get are girls who actually can't wait to wear a bra and get their periods! Don't they realize how easy they have it? Has anyone ever read the kids' book called "Are You There God, It's Me, Margeret," by Judy Blume? The main character was one of those girls, (she would even practice wearing maxi-pads; the story took place back when pads came with belts.) I could never understand the character or relate to that story any more than I could understand those types of girls in my middle-school gym class.

The female stuff that freaks me out the most are the mere thoughts of pregnancy, childbirth, and the worst, breast-feeding. :o To me that would be a nightmare.

Yeah... I got my period and thought I was dying. No one told me about it. :blush: So the whole "looking forward to womanhood" thing is out. More like, traumatized.

I've read books like that. Those girls have got to be crazy to want to bleed once a month. God. I swear, if puberty hadn't hit, I would've declared myself a boy. That's how girlish I am. Actually, I'm kind of gender-neutral. :)

-Katie

Recently I talked to my very sexual sister about this. We were walking through a clothing-store, when she shouted out:

"O look, women's underwear is on sale! Lets go check it out"

Me: "If you wish. I don't need any, I have plenty of underwear."

Sis: "Why not buy yourself something new?"

Me: "Nothings broken"

Sis: "Yeah, but I've seen your underwear, its all boring black without any decoration."

Me: "So what, who's going to see it?"

Sis: *rolls eyes*

So yeah, no lacy pink ribbony, glittery see-through underwear for me. And especially none of those silky nightgowns! They are the most uncomfortable thing ever! Really, what do people like about those slippery things? Bra's have one purpose: keeping breasts in place. I found bra's that can do that, I'll wear them until they fall apart from years of wear.