The Fool

Cynicus

I've been reading some books by Robin Hobb (writing alias) lately, and it struck me that the character of the fool seemed very asexual, if not genderless.

He has been several people throughout the books, both male and female, and when asked about his gender he said it was "nobody's business but my own".

His closest friend and narrator of most of the books also stated he "likes to sleep alone" when asked wether he prefers men of women.

For a moment, I thought someone had made a thread about ME. Just kidding (but not really).

Anyway, yeah, I agree. The Fool is my hero. I honestly think there is no greater fictional character. I loved him, then I realised I was asexual, and all became clear (relatively). I love his plumbing analogy and his awesome awesomeness.

And Fitz sooooo loved him more than Molly.

I don't think you can say he loved eithe rone more, as, as far as i'm concerned, his love for the Fool is purely platonic.

I think you can, because despite the type of love (which is a silly idea anyway to me, platonic love is not automatically worth more or less than sexual, although for me clearly it's worth more, which might explain this opinion) he's happier with the Fool than he ever is with Molly. Someone put it somewhere (Kettle maybe) that Fitz just loved the time he'd spent with Molly and the time of his life that was, not Molly herself. He says himself that the Fool completes him. He just can't get his head around non-sexual love, the idiot.

If you had to think of his "soulmate", who would come to mind first? Or second, I guess, after Nighteyes. I know my answer

I feel that would make their relationship similar to his sleeping with Jinna and Starling, which it most definitly is not

Archived