Photo

Black ring

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Unofficial sign of asexuality (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you know that black ring on the middle finger of your right hand is an unofficial sign of asexuality?

1. Yes, i knew it. (289 votes [59.10%])

Percentage of vote: 59.10%

2. Nope, but now i know:) (...maybe i am newbie) (200 votes [40.90%])

Percentage of vote: 40.90%

Do You like the idea of black ring?

1. Yes, i like the idea of black ring (436 votes [89.90%])

Percentage of vote: 89.90%

2. I dont like the idea of black ring, i would like something else being a symbol of asexuality and i have written my suggestion below (49 votes [10.10%])

Percentage of vote: 10.10%

Fonfeluch made a mistake and wrote that it is middle finger of right hand, whereas it is not like that

1. Nope, fonfeluch is right (426 votes [90.45%])

Percentage of vote: 90.45%

2. Yes, Fonfeluch have made a mistake, but i have written below what is correct (45 votes [9.55%])

Percentage of vote: 9.55%

Vote

#1 fonfeluch

fonfeluch

Amoeba Colony

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • A/Sexuality:straight asexual

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

Posted Image
I have read that black ring on the middle finger of right hand is an unofficial sign of asexuality. I wonder if that sign is recognizable among us:)
take care,
fonfeluch

i would like to add that not every asexual, who have decided to wear black ring, wears it on the middle finger of right hand, as Shockvaves wrote in a post somewhere below http://www.asexualit...o...st&p=855343 :)
once again take care,
fonfeluch

World is more interesting when you think, that nobody is watching.
Janusz Kofta

short videos about asexual love:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

you might be interested in joining aventube, asexual group on youtube, if so -- join us: http://www.youtube.com/group/aventube

Visit My Website

#2 bydefault

bydefault

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:25 AM

I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)
  • TohruBeni likes this

#3 grape

grape

Amoeba Colony

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)

I always saw purple as the color for gay people.

#4 grape

grape

Amoeba Colony

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

I like it, I just don't think it would work very well because a lot of people like to wear black rings on their middle finger.

#5 Eddie7

Eddie7

AVENistor

• AVEN Members
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

I dont like the idea of black ring, i would like something else being a symbol of asexuality and i have written my suggestion below

Nothing.

#6 Bellatrixx

Bellatrixx

A-Mazing

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Hetro-Romantic Sensual Asexual =D

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

I'd heard of the black ring and I've been looking for one to buy.

But I like the idea of the purple ring better... I think rainbow is more traditionally gay than purple

#7 chatha

chatha

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 949 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

<< wears a silver ring on left ring finger
I remember when America used to be a free country.
INTJ Rational Mastermind personality
Often wish I could be invisible. Then when I realize I am invisible, I don't like it.

#8 gbrd143

gbrd143

Asexy Authoritay!

• AVEN Members
  • 8,350 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Flamin' Asexual! YEAH, baby!!

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

I've heard about it but I refuse to wear a ring on that finger because of the negative connotations it has for me.
In the type of palmistry that I studied, the middle finger (finger of Saturn) is associated with the balance between the conscious and subconscious parts of the mind, and a person who emphasizes that finger by decorating it is showing that they have a lot of energy devoted to dealing with that area of their life. It is often associated with some form of mental illness or instability.

(This is from the very "olden" days when I used to read palms, so it isn't scientific by any means, but it is still sticking with me and affecting the way that I see certain things.)

-GB
Brought to you by:Posted Image
Greybird's Gallery of Death
and by

APositive!

#9 -Minus-

-Minus-

A-Mazing

• AVEN Members
  • 85 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Homoromantic demi or asexual I think..

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

Yes and yes.
I am always wearing my ring, it's kinda black/metallic, I have been looking for a pure black ring since I heard that it is a symbol for asexuals, but I haven't been able to find any yet.
Don't think anyone would get it though, because everything I wear is black, so I guess it just looks like something that would go well with the rest of my style.

#10 xonic18

xonic18

Amoeba

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Comfortable

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:05 AM

I was wondering where you heard about the black ring on the right hand middle finger? I don't know what color we asexuals could agree on.
Life is about expanding your horizons on many levels in order to fully express your true potential.

#11 Shockwave

Shockwave

Old Fogey

• AVEN Members
  • 8,847 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Metro-asexual.

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:20 AM

Black rings were suggested about three or four years ago, we didn't decide on a specific finger though. I have a black and purple ring I sometimes wear on the ring finger of my right hand.

#12 fonfeluch

fonfeluch

Amoeba Colony

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • A/Sexuality:straight asexual

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

I was wondering where you heard about the black ring on the right hand middle finger? I don't know what color we asexuals could agree on.

i dont rememer the localisation over aven forum, but if you search posts you will surely find, it is not my invention:)

World is more interesting when you think, that nobody is watching.
Janusz Kofta

short videos about asexual love:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

you might be interested in joining aventube, asexual group on youtube, if so -- join us: http://www.youtube.com/group/aventube

Visit My Website

#13 Bellatrixx

Bellatrixx

A-Mazing

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Hetro-Romantic Sensual Asexual =D

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

I vaugely remember the post about hte middle finger... various fingers mean various relationship statuses and someone determined that middle means permenently single... I have no idea where the post was, unfortunately

#14 waffo

waffo

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,129 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetero-romantic

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

I like my black ring. I now feel naked without it.

( ◕‿‿◕ )

#15 Loki

Loki

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 879 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:28 AM

a first ive heard about it....
I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#16 rosalie

rosalie

Aeros Incarnate

• AVEN Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetero-romantic asexual

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

I dont like the idea of black ring, i would like something else being a symbol of asexuality and i have written my suggestion below

Nothing.

That's my view as well.
"You should never underestimate predictability of stupidity." (Bullet Tooth in the movie SNATCH)
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass." (David Lee Roth)

Star light Star bright, The first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, Have the wish I wish tonight Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 CrazyCatLover

CrazyCatLover

So Asexy it Hurts

• AVEN Members
  • 6,376 posts
  • Pronouns:zhe/hir
  • A/Sexuality:Double A

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

My ring shattered the other day. My finger feels empty now. I need to get a new ring.

I also don't the finger should really matter that much, my that's just my opinion.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Posted Image

#18 Starless

Starless

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual, aromantic.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hm, I've been away for too long. This is a really neat idea, and I'd love to participate. I'm a huge fan of displaying rings and other little things that have hidden meaning to large groups of people. That, and I'm currently sporting no rings at all. Yeah, definitely going to get something black/purple for my right ring finger.

#19 GarboFour

GarboFour

Mitosis to the Max

• AVEN Members
  • 332 posts
  • A/Sexuality:somewhere between a/bi-asexual

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Eh, I thought pink is for them. and for asexuals, why not 'green + silver', that's my favourite heehee~

in fact i don't like the black ring idea. i don't fancy jewellery.

#20 Prefers Pie

Prefers Pie

Too Asexy for this Site

• AVEN Members
  • 620 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Non-bloomer; grown for foliage

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Eh, I thought pink is for them. and for asexuals, why not 'green + silver', that's my favourite heehee~

in fact i don't like the black ring idea. i don't fancy jewellery.

Well, yeah. They only took the whole stinkin' rainbow! Why do they get to appropriate ALL the colors? :angry:

'green + silver' :D :twisted: kekekeke!

#21 uilleann_pipes_girl

uilleann_pipes_girl

Mega Mitosis

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • A/Sexuality:demisexual

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

I have a black ring, but my fingers are so thick it won't fit on the middle one of either hand. I wear it either on my right ring finger or left thumb, which are the only fingers it'll fit.

#22 bbctv

bbctv

The Atrix Has You

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • A/Sexuality:indif-A, feel mushy towards some women

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:08 AM

i don't think i need the ring. it seems like everyone can tell around me, even when i don't tell them.
when words are no better than silence...

#23 Goonie

Goonie

Phantom Poster

• AVEN Members
  • 32,430 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Sexual

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

I think I was around when it first came up (as far as memory goes) Personally I won't do it.
Posted Image

#24 Windmill

Windmill

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Romantic Asexual

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

I'd personally prefer something less gloomy than a black ring, perhaps a wristband thats like, green and yellow, for thats just neat.

I won't do it, because if people asked me what it is, I wouldn't want to answer, particularly concerning my parents.

#25 Guest_the_random_squirrel_*

Guest_the_random_squirrel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

*wears black hematite rings on her right middle finger*

i find it easier to wear this to signify my asexuality, but no one (other than other A's) knows what it means. i really want to get some of the asexy stuff from the store, but i can't because my parents don't know about it and i want to avoid an awkward conversation :(

but black rings are cool :)

#26 Eddie7

Eddie7

AVENistor

• AVEN Members
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

i really want to get some of the asexy stuff from the store, but i can't because my parents don't know about it and i want to avoid an awkward conversation :(

That's what PO boxes are for :)

I don't like any of the stuff in the store. I'd kind of like to have an incredibly vague shirt or something though.

#27 Forensic

Forensic

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

I like the idea of a black ring (and wear one in between shattering them...) because few people will question it, unless they know.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation, The reason I tell you is always the same;
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.....

#28 skenasis

skenasis

Loki'd!

• AVEN Members
  • 2,766 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Pan-romantic asexual

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'd heard of it and have been looking around for one, but no luck thus far. Annoying.
"You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors...
But they are part of you, and they will never go away."

#29 Parth

Parth

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,906 posts
  • A/Sexuality:I'm asexual with a low level of pan-romanticity.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

I don't find rings comfortable but I'm willing to give a black-and-purple ring a try.
Perhaps someone on AVEN could find a supplier and buy a bulk lot, and sell them individually?

Hey you guys, I don't usually try to solicit votes from people, but this time I have a chance of winning a trip to the UK! Where I could go to an AVEN Meetup?!

So, === * CLICK HERE AND VOTE FOR MY VIDEO * === which I worked crazy hard on so it's not like I am asking for votes for nothing. PLEASE!!

#30 theimpossiblek

theimpossiblek

Mega Mitosis

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • A/Sexuality:romantic asexual

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

I just got a hematite ring for $2 last week. I prefer wearing it on the middle finger of my left hand thought. Kind of a subliminal "Is she engaged...Nope! Permanently single!" Well, taken from what others have said, at least. ^_^
Check out my blog on asexuality: Ace of Hearts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sex is God's joke on human beings." - Bette Davis

"When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.” -Maya Angelou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users