Asexual character on NZ soap opera

Sootmouth

Here is a slice of dialogue from a recent episode of Shortland Street, our local Kiwi soap opera. There has been some speculation that one of the characters, Gerald, might be asexual. From this particular conversation it sounds pretty likely to me... but then I am biased.

Yvonne: I'm not looking for love. I'm certainly not looking for bed action!
Gerald: Ew! Neither am I.
Yvonne: Well you should, you're young, you're missing out.
Gerald: I'm happy, isn't that what counts?
Yvonne: I told Libby I'd be meeting your gay partner tonight. She is convinced that you're gay. What am I going to tell her now?
Gerald: That I am not gay. [Pauses] But I'm not not gay. I don't know who I might be attracted to. I'm willing to be surprised.
Yvonne: That will shut her up.
Gerald: I know people are desperate to label me. I've already told Libby. I'm not driven by sex, I never have been.
Yvonne: You must have had crushes, Gerald.
Gerald: More romantic flights of fancy. They could have starred anyone.
Yvonne: Really?
Gerald: It doesn't matter to me. Do you understand?
Yvonne: [Nods her head, then shakes it]
Gerald: You mull away, I'll put the jug on.

Gerald is a popular character on the show and it would be great if the scriptwriters decided to explore asexuality through his experiences.

Fingers crossed.

Chris

2014 Mod Edit: The first video is shared in post #12 of this same thread.

nice

i think shortland street is (or was anyway) shown in the afternoon's overhere though i've never watched it personally

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh that would be really cool! It's a shame they don't show Shortland Street here anymore.

On a slightly related note I believe the actress who plays Libby (mentioned in the above dialogue) is Fleur Saville, who played Ruby in The Tribe (another NZ show). There was a character in that show called The Guardian who you could argue was asexual. He certainly wasn't happy when someone tried to seduce him, though you could also argue that this was down to extreme religiosity (he was basically a cult leader).

NZ television rocks! :D

I remember the Tribe, dimly. I think.

They're still filming Shortland Street??? I'm impressed...and that they may be breaking ground.

Tan

• 1 month later...

Though shortland street is an otherwise terrible tv show IMHO, I am watching it with interest to see if he is asexual. The recent spout of him with the guy in the bed makes me even more sure.

Though shortland street is an otherwise terrible tv show IMHO, I am watching it with interest to see if he is asexual. The recent spout of him with the guy in the bed makes me even more sure.

I just read the synopses on the website and I think you're right! He definitely sounds asexual as we would understand it. Is there any way to contact the show and register our approval? :)

• 1 month later...

Well it's confirmed! The scriptwriters are definitely exploring asexuality!

From the synopsis for next week:

Uber-efficient receptionist Gerald Tippett decides to do a spot of self diagnosis on Shortland Street, after a visit to his GP.

Conflicted about his relationship with adoring Nurse Morgan Braithwaite (Bonnie Soper), Gerald asks his doctor for medication to increase his sexual appetite. Frustrated when nothing is prescribed, Gerald turns to the internet for answers and stumbles on the concept of 'asexuality'. Hoping it could be the beginning of an all new understanding, has Gerald finally found the key to his confusion?

Yay for visibility!

Are you serious? That's awesome!!!

Yvonne: I'm not looking for love. I'm certainly not looking for bed action!

Gerald: Ew! Neither am I.

Yvonne: Well you should, you're young, you're missing out.

Gerald: I'm happy, isn't that what counts?

Darn good. Really.

From Monday's synopsis:
Gerald goes to a GP to ask about medication to help with his sex drive. But the new GP suggests that his problem is psychological and Gerald is disappointed that there's no quick fix. Then he overhears Tania declare her intention to be celibate, and is left intrigued by the concept. He discusses celibacy with Yvonne and when she describes it as a simpler life, he finds the idea increasingly appealing. He researches celibacy on the internet and makes an important discovery. Listed under reasons for celibacy is a link to the definition of asexuality - could this be the answer to Gerald's confusion?
Hunter is curious when Gerald announces that he's made a self-discovery and orders a round of drinks. However, he gets too drunk, and Hunter has to take him home. Morgan is concerned by Gerald's uncharacteristic binge-drinking. Morgan and Hunter compare notes about Gerald's drunken insistence that he is not worthy. Morgan explains Gerald's misguided plot to push her and Hunter together.
Following up with Brooke, Gerald realises that if he is genuinely asexual, there may be no cure. To spare Morgan more pain, Gerald tells her that he's asexual, breaking up with her. But Morgan insists that she loves him as a person. She refuses to break up, even if he is asexual.

For a short time it should be viewable by going to the following site and clicking on the 'on demand' link and finding the episode for Mon 14th:
http://www.tvnz.co.nz/

2014 Mod Edit: Here's the part of the episode where Gerald comes out to Morgan. The whole asexual storyline is available on youtube.

WOW thats awesome. :cake: :cake: :cake: Cake for mainstream asexual visibility :)

Just out of curiosity how old is this Gerald character?

Early twenties I think.

They've certainly done their research. :)

*wishes he were in NZ so he could watch the episode*

emmarainbow

Oooh!

Keep us up to date on good quotes and all!

That's brilliant!

It sounds promising so far. Let's hope they don't sudden make Gerald do something way out of character (like the scriptwriters seem to do to most characters in soap operas) and change into a sexual guy suddenly.

Tuesday:

Meanwhile at work, Riley convinces Libby that she was seduced by Callum and successfully gets Libby's sympathy. Libby is then appalled when Callum and Justine act as if everything is normal. Chris exhibits sympathy for Justine and Justine responds that she is simply determined get on with her job. But later she visits Riley to give her a blast. Riley fights back and Libby and Yvonne overhear Justine dispensing a few choice insults. Libby explains to Yvonne, Gerald and Tania about the affair. Libby voices her disapproval but Tania reminds her that she had an affair with George when he was married. Gerald declares that this proves that sex makes life messy.

Gerald shares this thoughts with Morgan, and she grows frustrated with his hard-line on sex. Gerald uses Riley as an example of sexual immorality. Riley overhears this and angrily accuses Libby of spreading malicious gossip, causing her to lose sympathy for Riley.

Wednesday:

Despite Gerald's enthusiasm for engaging conversation, Morgan feels like she's missing out on physical intimacy. Despite a warning from Tania about patching over problems with money, Gerald is sure that he's on track with Morgan when he buys her an expensive gift, as a thank-you for seeing things his way. However, Gerald's gift only leaves Morgan feeling like she's won a consolation prize in lieu of physical gratification. After revealing Gerald's asexuality to Tania, Morgan realises that she needs to fix her relationship problems before it all falls apart. However, when she shares a frisson with Hunter, she's acutely reminded of what she's missing out on with Gerald.

Thursday:

Morgan learns from Brooke that childhood abuse could be the root to Gerald's asexuality. When discussing sex education with Alice, Kip and Morgan, Gerald is uneasy to find his "birds and the bees" talk was far earlier than anyone else's. Morgan broaches the idea of sexual abuse with Gerald, leaving him feeling misunderstood and his attempts to justify his parents' liberal attitudes only make Morgan more suspicious. Gerald returns from visiting his parents with a home movie from his childhood. Morgan asks to watch it and Gerald, confident it will completely innocent, agrees. But when he and Morgan come to a clip of a ten year old Gerald in a bath with his parents, Gerald is forced to look at his 'innocent' childhood in a new light.

I hope the writers don't start writing that that cause of Gerald's asexuality is caused by being abused, but I guess they have to cover all angles to further develop his character and to help boost ratings :P

XTriformisX

Aw, I hope they don't carry on with that too far. The last things asexuals need is everyone to think it's because we've all been abused.

But other than that, great that it's featuring an asexual person. I wish Brit soaps would do that, everyone is sex crazy..

Yeah, not sure where this is heading! Interesting storyline though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday:

Gerald has received a birthday dinner invite from his parents, Maggie and Nigel. It is also open to Morgan, Kieran and Libby, but Gerald tries to talk them out of coming, worried about the assumptions and suppositions now surrounding his parents.

When the others are charmed by Nigel and Maggie's welcoming manner, Gerald relaxes. But Gerald grows uncomfortable again when Maggie divulges that she writes erotica and Nigel comments on Gerald's prudishness about sex.

Later, Morgan puts her foot in it with Maggie, revealing Gerald's asexuality. Over dinner, Maggie and Nigel try to offer Gerald solutions to his sex problems, cautioning him with Maggie's affair with a Japanese WWOOFer.

Gerald tries to shut them down, and when Gerald's parents start to blame each other for his asexuality, a guilty Morgan grows upset. Furious with his parents, Gerald finally vents that they abused him as a child through their obsession with sex.

Thursday:

Gerald stands by his sexual abuse accusation, and his hurt parents order them out of the house. At home, a frustrated Gerald talks himself into believing his accusation is true, but when Morgan asks him to recall a specific act of abuse, he's stumped.

Having watched the fireworks, Libby determines to support Gerald through his revelation, despite Kieran telling her to leave well enough alone. Gerald is coming around to the idea he blew things out of proportion, but is confused when Libby justifies his argument.

He seeks out Kieran to talk, however Kieran's common sense makes Gerald doubt his own reactions. Kieran thinks that if a person like Gerald has no memory of bad touching, it is very unlikely that it happened.

Gerald is reassured by this, but when his parents arrive to visit, they confess that they feel responsible for his childhood sexual abuse. They clarify that they never abused Gerald themselves, but now feel sure that someone else must have.

When they begin nominating suspects, it is too much for Gerald and he rejects the whole theory. He insists that his asexuality is not anyone's fault, and not a problem to be solved. Feeling guilty for suggesting otherwise, Morgan supports him.

Gerald appreciates this, but forces Morgan to question her commitment to their sexless relationship.

XTriformisX

Wow, that's good then! I didn't expect them to actually make it so his asexuality is just who he is in the end, glad they did though. Silly soaps, teasing us first. :rolleyes:

That's a great resolution. New Zealand rocks. It's gotta be the best place in the world to be asexual!

From the video preview for next week:

Morgan: I still love you, but I'm attracted to Hunter.

Gerald: Well, I don't mind if you sleep with him.

• 1 month later...
theimpossiblek
From the video preview for next week:

Morgan: I still love you, but I'm attracted to Hunter.

Gerald: Well, I don't mind if you sleep with him.

Ooh, I totally saw that coming... What about the guy with the "Extra Virgin" shirt at the bar? Was he asexual? I don't remember seeing any clips after this...

• 1 month later...
carried in bags

im watching this on youtube and loving it. lets hope the writers of corronation street are watching

• 4 months later...
Violet_Loves_Iliona

:cake: :cake: :cake: To Shortland Street's writers, who have really done an amazing job with this storyline!!

And here is the most recent episode:

You know what, though (and I'm absolutely interested to hear if anyone disagrees with me; also, I already wrote this on the YouTube feedback page, so sorry if cross-posting offends), my reaction to this episode is that if only Gerald could compromise with Morgan and meet her half way - no to sex (of course!), but yes to all the other forms of physical affection that Morgan so clearly wants/needs/enjoys.

They clearly adore each other and are wonderful together, if only they could find a compromise that gives them both what they need, without being uncomfortable/unpleasant for the other.

It also occurs to me that perhaps if Gerald was comfortable that having sex was completely off the table, then he might actually like being physically affectionate? (I'm basing that opinion on my own feelings and, to a lesser degree, experiences)... I feel that if they could find a mutually beneficial compromise that works for them both, then their relationship would be perfect! :) ... Though of I don't mind admitting that I haven't managed to achieve such a compromise with anyone. :/

What does everybody else think?

Violet

Archived