Asexual character on NZ soap opera

Sootmouth

It would be nice if it worked out between Gerald and Morgan but I can't see it happening at the moment. I'd like to see him end up in a relationship with another asexual and maybe stick around as the triplets' second dad anyway. Partly because a close asexual relationship on TV that stays asexual and has no gimicky sexual subtext would make a nice change.

If only Gerald could compromise with Morgan and meet her half way - no to sex (of course!), but yes to all the other forms of physical affection that Morgan so clearly wants/needs/enjoys.

They clearly adore each other and are wonderful together, if only they could find a compromise that gives them both what they need, without being uncomfortable/unpleasant for the other.

It also occurs to me that perhaps if Gerald was comfortable that having sex was completely off the table, then he might actually like being physically affectionate? (I'm basing that opinion on my own feelings and, to a lesser degree, experiences)... I feel that if they could find a mutually beneficial compromise that works for them both, then their relationship would be perfect! :) ... Though of I don't mind admitting that I haven't managed to achieve such a compromise with anyone. :/

I think along similar lines except that, from what we have been shown of Gerald's character, I don't think a compromise would be possible.

In many ways I think the desire for physical affection is akin to the desire for sex. In my experience people who enjoy physical affection often fail to understand those of us -- myself included -- who don't. It's not just a question of trying it, or getting to like it, or finding the right person to do it with. It's just something we're not interested in.

Hmmm, so I suppose that makes me asexual, aromantic and... a-physical? :rolleyes:

How cool is that?!

I remember shortland street ... and the tribe that was also mentioned, that was kick ass. The techie guy with the lisp? *swooooon*

Hazaa for NZ!

Violet_Loves_Iliona

Sorry, computer was naughty and I doubled up.

Violet_Loves_Iliona
If only Gerald could compromise with Morgan and meet her half way - no to sex (of course!), but yes to all the other forms of physical affection that Morgan so clearly wants/needs/enjoys.

They clearly adore each other and are wonderful together, if only they could find a compromise that gives them both what they need, without being uncomfortable/unpleasant for the other.

It also occurs to me that perhaps if Gerald was comfortable that having sex was completely off the table, then he might actually like being physically affectionate? (I'm basing that opinion on my own feelings and, to a lesser degree, experiences)... I feel that if they could find a mutually beneficial compromise that works for them both, then their relationship would be perfect! :) ... Though of I don't mind admitting that I haven't managed to achieve such a compromise with anyone. :/

I think along similar lines except that, from what we have been shown of Gerald's character, I don't think a compromise would be possible.

In many ways I think the desire for physical affection is akin to the desire for sex. In my experience people who enjoy physical affection often fail to understand those of us -- myself included -- who don't. It's not just a question of trying it, or getting to like it, or finding the right person to do it with. It's just something we're not interested in.

Hmmm, so I suppose that makes me asexual, aromantic and... a-physical? :rolleyes:

Yes indeed, you make some interesting points, Sootmouth. It stands to reason that some people feel that way, and I certainly wouldn't want to run rough-shod over their reality and their feelings.

I guess I was looking at his behaviour from my own perspective. I do like physical affection and non-sexual intimacy with others, if I know tham well and feel comfortable with them (which is not that often the case).

What can make me, personally uncomfortable with physical affection is if I have the feeling that the other person wants more. Only if I can fully relax in the knowledge that the other person knows and accepts that the physical affection is just that, and won't go any further, can I relax.

So, I was thinking that perhaps Gerald is like me - especially since Morgan has always wated more, and he knows she even still wants more from him... So that's why I was sugesting that, if Morgan could accept that there would be non-sexual physical affection, then maybe Gerald could enjoy physical affection with her.

Who knows what type of asexual he will be in the end, or what will happen with their relationship - maybe he will be more like you, or maybe he will be more like me. Definitely he does appear to be (bi-) romantic, so I have hope, but if he never likes hugging and kissing then that's ok too, because he will be an interesting character like that too.

Violet

Archived