Dexter

Face

I am loving Dexter so far, still in first season down here in the backwoods!!! Didn't know it was based on books tho'. Can anyone tell me who the author is? I would like to read them, books are always better than their adaptations.

I do think it's a shame that the only prominent asexual (or at least "uninterested in sex") character on mainstream TV just happens to be a serial killer. Not exactly the kind of publicity we need or want. Some narrow minded people out there are bound to associate disinterest in sex with homicidal tendencies because of this show. :angry:

He's not exactly asexual, he's a psychopath. Or sociopath. Watching your mother being dismembered with a chainsaw at three will do that to you. The idea that all sociopaths have an innate need to kill is the more issue, I think. It'll stigmatise everyone with a mental illness, sociopath or otherwise.

I just found out, from people in the AVEN chat rooms, that Dexter does not remain asexual in the 2nd season.

Hmm.. some people might say that.

I wouldn't write him off completely just yet...

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve Dexter.

I feel for the first time there's a character that understands asexual people and for the first time i've discovered someone-even though he may be fictional-who understands me.

He's my present role model, obviously alongside House.

I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve Dexter.

I feel for the first time there's a character that understands asexual people and for the first time i've discovered someone-even though he may be fictional-who understands me.

He's my present role model, obviously alongside House.

Yeah, I know what you mean (except for me it's not with Dexter and asexuality). There are more bisexual characters out there but many good ones. Finding something which explores bisexuality well is awesome.

• 4 months later...
Guest EGDingthestar

I guess there was an accident on the set of Dexter recently--did anyone else hear about this??

(This has probably already been talked about on AVEN, but I couldn't find it. )

A friend told me that on the radio it was stated that the stuntman had complained that the fake knife was still hitting him too hard and so they had given him some sort of plastic or plexi-glass to wear on his chest. Which is fortunate, because an actor picked up the wrong knife and proceeded to stab him.

edit: links may have *spoilers*

source 1

source 2

Blimey........the moral of this story then is if Michael C Hall offers to stab you with a fake knife......Just Say No!

Blimey........the moral of this story then is if Michael C Hall offers to stab you with a fake knife......Just Say No!

It wasn't Michael C. Hall doing the stabbing in that scene. In fact, Michael realized it was the real knife and tried to stop the actor who was doing it.

Hmmmm, but that spoils it as now I know he's not a real serial killer cos he tried to save someone!

Another fan of Dexter here. :) I picked up the season 1 box set over the summer and watched the whole series through. Excellent plot, I loved the very last bit too, nice style.

I saw a little preview of the first season 2 episode and I also read an article on one of those free newspapers left on the train that hinted at Dexter not being as A as he appeared in the first series. First it made me think No!!! Dexter! but I decided it's better to actually see what happens first.

Oh and I also have the book, but I prefer to read the series after I watch it otherwise I'll find myelf saying 'that's not what happened in the book!'.

I want to wait for series 2 to come out on DVD before I get back into it. I couldn't make the times on FX every week anyway. Anyone know the UK release?

I want to wait for series 2 to come out on DVD before I get back into it. I couldn't make the times on FX every week anyway. Anyone know the UK release?

Sometime after it finishes it's run on whatever channel has picked it up this time around. Somehow doubt it'll be ITV given the first season debacle.

I'd just go for the R1.

Guest EGDingthestar
Another fan of Dexter here. :) I picked up the season 1 box set over the summer and watched the whole series through. Excellent plot, I loved the very last bit too, nice style.

what about surfthechannel.com or itunes?

Just realised season 2 wasn't out on DVD in America that long ago, so considering it's still running here I doubt we'll see it before Christmas.

So I'll look into those suggestions, thanks.

season one just ended here last week :( so i'm probably going to be waiting awhile for season 2 (though weirdly enough you could buy the boxset of season 1 here after only a few episodes had aired, so maybe the season 2 boxset will show up soon ^_^ )

I like watching the show, but I wouldn't go so far as purchasing the episodes on DVD or off of the 'tunes.

I may or may not stream them online a couple of days after they air.

(we've just started the third season here)

• 3 months later...
Marco - Proprietor of Doom

I just watched my first episode of Dexter, and I loved it but... does every one think of it as a comedy? Because if they don't... I may become slightly scared of my self. :ph34r:

yeah I hear you Marco. I love it too, but I do think of it as more of a dark comedy which I really enjoy. Some people might easily take such subject matter head on and be horrified at it's popularity.

I am going to have to start watching Dexter now that I know about his pov.

I'll probably think of it as a comedy myself. I hate actual comedies. My comedies are Criminal Minds and Saw.

I just watched my first episode of Dexter, and I loved it but... does every one think of it as a comedy? Because if they don't... I may become slightly scared of my self. :ph34r:

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a comedy, but it does rely heavily on humour to lighten the mood.

Which is probably for the best given how bleak it would be otherwise.

Archived