NEW FORUM SOFTWARE IS UP!

The Evil Cashew

That's brilliant that you could fix the Search so quickly. *impressed*

*Grin* Thanks, but IPB makes it really easy to change things around. Search was not a problem; adding links to the chat and the wiki? That took about an hour of time and PHP and other such nonsense...

In other words, Chat and Wiki are now listed up next to the Front Page link on the top. Enjoy!

If you know how, that would be great. Just send me a PM so I can give it a look over before you post it.

I haven't yet found a way to disable them completely, admittedly, though I know how to partially hide them (they still appear if you click the 'friends' or 'comments' tab on someone's profile), and how to enable moderation of them (which, I guess, is them partially-disabled). I'll work it out though - these things don't escape me for long, once I set my mind on finding them.

Sorry Coleslaw, but I honestly think I'll have to accept defeat on this one - I think I've clicked everything I can find, and the above is still the closest I've managed to come to disabling them. :(

I reckon I've learned my lesson on this - never volunteer to help unless I actually can...

SpirallingSnowy

Can i just say, i really like the new forums? I like the profiles, i havent had a chance to play with my buttons as a mod, but i like how it says mod in my profile so people know exactly when the modly folk are posting so they can ask q's and such forth.

As far as the profiles are concerned.. Perhaps we can have a happy medium, ofcourse, when most other things are settled, that means all the " stalkerish" features are the users choice? that way if you want more, you can? I mean as all things, if its not possible i totally understand, but that way people would be happy, rather than just canning some of the features totally.

I know its going to take a while to adjust to the new forums and stuff, but we had to upgrade sometime, it was just a matter of when and how and with what. Purple will be nice, but im happy just learning this new layout without worrying about skins etc.

On other fora i visit, we dont seem to get abuse of the font/ font colour etc features of them. So hopefully that will all A OK here :)

Congrats guys *hugs and :cake: * Its a big task and its gone particularly smoothly :) Very glad that we have our fora back in minimum downtime. Purple can wait :)

SS

I really like this change. When I figured out the things I could do I found it to be alot easier than the forum before. And it looks alot better.

Here's a better version of that .htaccess code that I posted before (the old version would send the rest of the phpBB2 query string in the IPB URL, and only work if the parameter is at the beginning). I have tested it on a different server, so I assume it will work here as well, as long as you have mod_rewrite installed.

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*\&f=([0-9]+).*$
RewriteRule ^discussion/viewforum\.php$ http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showforum=%1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*\&p=([0-9]+).*$
RewriteRule ^discussion/viewtopic\.php$ http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?act=findpost&pid=%1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*\&t=([0-9]+).*$
RewriteRule ^discussion/viewtopic\.php$ http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=%1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.*\&u=([0-9]+).*$
RewriteRule ^discussion/profile\.php$ http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showuser=%1 [R=301,L]

I have added all the sub fora to the Alternate Languages forum.

Also, I'll try and add in that code tonight, Andrew.

On the other fora i visit, we dont seem to get abuse of the font/ font colour etc features of them. So hopefully that will all A OK here :)

Wishful thinking, Snowy. :lol:

The Evil Cashew

UPDATE:

We CHANGED the profiles to a less myspace/facebook feel. Its not necessarily permanent. Comments welcome.

~Cashew

UPDATE:

We CHANGED the profiles to a less myspace/facebook feel. Its not necessarily permanent. Comments welcome.

~Cashew

Umm all the 'myspacy' stuff, like comments and views and the central bit with content and posts...can we at least have the option of having that stuff if we want it? Personally I thought twas pretty nifty and rather fun :(

I agree with Bubble on this - I did rather like the features of the profiles, especially the comments box thing, but if the majority don't, then I'm happy enough to go along with having the profiles as they currently are, if, of course, allowing us to switch between the two is not possible.

Edit: Is the new gender field currently not functional? It's just that I can't change it or anything.

The Evil Cashew

I did say it wasnt necessarily a permanent change.... but the decision was made to try it based on teh feedback we got when we ran the original info stuff when we tested the board.

AND

the comments board is *ahem* just like hte msg board... that we had removed due to abuse.

as for this version or the other.. tis one or the other. we cant make it an option... as for whats in each tho we can make options for... we'll look into the options.

~Cashew

UPDATE:

~Cashew

Big improvement from my point of view, although for some reason it doesn't seem to be accepting me entering male in the gender field now.

I can see why some people liked the previous threads/posts things though. As long as the stalkerish stuff is gone (which it is now), I'm not really fussed about the rest of it.

The Evil Cashew
Big improvement from my point of view, although for some reason it doesn't seem to be accepting me entering male in the gender field now.

Fixed. sorry bout that

~Cashew

Fixed. sorry bout that

~Cashew

Excellent, thanks!

Nico-Nico Friendo

You know, I just found that the reason I couldn't see the link for the chat was because I had the blue skin on instead of the black one. The links that say: Wiki, Chat, and Store do not show up on the blue skin. Is there any way you can fix that?

You know, I just found that the reason I couldn't see the link for the chat was because I had the blue skin on instead of the black one. The links that say: Wiki, Chat, and Store do not show up on the blue skin. Is there any way you can fix that?

Yes, I can. It should be fixed now.

UPDATE:

~Cashew

I really liked the old profile style, actually. I found it made our members seem more like humans than text..

but yes, you guys are doing a great job. Keep it up! :D

I really liked the old profile style, actually. I found it made our members seem more like humans than text.

I second that, but I don't mind the changes either.

I would like the Age field back though. If people don't want to reveal it, that's fine, but for some of the topics it was nice to know is the advice being dispensed was coming from a 15 or a 50 year old.

I realise that the birthday field is now displayed, but I'm way too lazy to do the mental math if the system will do it for me - I blame the media and the internet.

Nalle Neversure
UPDATE:

~Cashew

I really liked the old profile style, actually. I found it made our members seem more like humans than text..

but yes, you guys are doing a great job. Keep it up! :D

I liked the one with friends and stuff more too... It made people searching easier as friends were already listed on page.

I understand that not everyone liked those new features. Could making them optional be possible?

As one of those who didn't like the original profile, I agree that if anything this one is a bit too far the other way.

Friends: why not? It's easy enough not to use this feature if you don't want (there's even an option to disallow friending user by user somewhere in the profile options)

And I liked the display of topics started and posts made - it's not like you can't search for those anyway.

What I didn't like was the box showing who had viewed my profile, or the box showing what posts I'd last viewed. Call me old fashioned, but I'm all for controlling what content about me goes onto a board like this. If I've posted something, it's public - I don't care who sees it, or how they find it. But not being able to look at a post or a profile without telling the world that that's what you're doing - that's sort of like having 13,000 people looking over your shoulder as you browse the forums. Yuck. I've gone to logging in as invisible, which seems to do the trick - maybe publicising that feature is all we need?

And while we're making requests, the one field I really liked from the old profiles was the "first name" field, as I prefer to use real names instead of screennames for things like PMs if people have published one.

Thanks for the hard work on the software front! :)

A quick question from my dofus self: is there a way to change nicknames on this board? I've searched high and low, and I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

A quick question from my dofus self: is there a way to change nicknames on this board? I've searched high and low, and I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

I don't think there is - on an IPB forum I was on a while ago, they had an option that would allow you to change your name, which was located on the left-hand menu of the Control Panel, but as that option isn't available here, it's either de-activated; or was a custom thing the admin of that forum had installed.

I don't think there is - on an IPB forum I was on a while ago, they had an option that would allow you to change your name, which was located on the left-hand menu of the Control Panel, but as that option isn't available here, it's either de-activated; or was a custom thing the admin of that forum had installed.

Changing usernames has been disabled due to misuse on the other forum. If you would like your username changed, please send an Admin an e-mail.

Regarding the profiles: it's this or that. There's no middle ground we can come up with. We can revert to the original, friends-and-comments profile, but originally, so many people disliked the feature that we decided to test this out. We will switch back, and I'll continue looking into privacy features.

Oliver, the "Last Click" option was disabled. You can no longer see what everyone is doing. That should help with privacy.

Just wanted to add myself to the 'I liked the old profiles' group. They are quite funky and easier to use.

I'm in the not sure about profiles camp.

I am not that keen on all the stalking options....especially considering how members have had trouble with things like that in the past with old style profiles.

Once I had a chance to play around with it, I got to liking the new friends and comments thing too. It was fun. However the stalker-ishness was a little weird at times, and I understand if there's no middle ground that it might be better to keep it as it is right now without the friends/comments. But if you brought em back, I promise I won't complain. ^^

At any rate, loads of :cake: to all the mods and higher-ups that're putting up with all of us! :lol:

Personally I'd rather loose the user tracking data - ie who's posting where/when and who's looked at what user profile etc, even if it may be at the expense of the loss of some other aspects.

It all seems too intrusive for what is essentially an education and discussion forum, and whilst I don't have concerns with admins having access to this sort of data for the purpose of overall board security and monitoring, having it publicly displayable by default, is in my view, not a safe internet practice.

Edited to add: the profiles and info that is currently displayed therein since the change from the original layout looks good.

The less myspace-ish, the better, in my opinion. I'd rather not have a friends option, personally, and I couldn't find a way to disable it on the other profile.

Archived