NO MORE CUBES: Depicting Attraction with a Radar Chart

Hallucigenia

I like this idea. It's seems very flexible, so that even if the given categories didn't work for someone, they could make-up their own categories and, provided they explained the new categories, modify the chart accordingly and people who know how to read this chart would still understand their new chart. The same goes for the little colored lines - it wouldn't be too much trouble to change them if you wanted to. And the charts are so much easier to depict in two dimensions then hypercubes :)

Primary and Secondary Romantic - I'm not honestly sure about these ones, or Platonic, but I've seen people putting the green line way up to a high number in the Platonic category, so it's possible. I'd be curious to know what some of those people have experienced.

I'm not sure about Primary/Secondary Romantic, or fetish/events, but one of the examples given for Physical and "other" was wanting to hug your cat, right? So it seems like wanting to be friends with your pet could be a way that people get high numbers with the green line in Platonic. I don't care much for animals, personally, but I know people who treat their pets just like family members.

I like this idea too except I don't really think that there is a way for everybody's (a)sexuality to be so simply labeled. I just realized that I was asexual and it took me a while to figure out because my body is physically attracted to women and the idea of having sex with women but there's a mental disconnect between my mind and my body. It's not even that of the difference between attraction and desire because I believe that I would have sex to please someone that I love or to bring us closer together, I just wouldn't be particularly interested in seeking it out. So while this is a great tool for people to try and understand themselves it might not be for everyone.

• 8 months later...

radarchart.jpg

Yeah, so, btw, I'm obsessed with fire.

Also, I made this all up... maybe it's true, maybe not. you never know.

EDIT:

Uh, and yeah, to clarify, I don't get orgasms from fire.. just thought I'd throw that out there...

Hey, look, there's another one!

lol.

untitled.jpg

Yeah, and I actually bothered to read the descriptions this time!

Thing is, sexual attraction, the way it's defined earlier in this thread, translates roughly to "instinct". I can tell if i'll like someone based on how they look... it's not that I'm shallow, it's just that a lot of stuff shows on the outside. The smell, the look, the way they hold themselves... showmanship. It's important to me.

and if seeing that means i'm not asexual... then what am I?

and if it's somehow ok to have sex and be attracted to sex, but not ok to like how someone looks, then that's a little messed up.

definition Asexuality: one who does not experience sexual attraction.

this kinda tweaked me out..

teheheh....

Oh, and i added a color system... because colors are easier to see than lines... that's why we have them....

that's why the eject button is always red, not white, near the middle of a grid...

Also: I have no frame of reference... Uh. what is normal?

What is high?

What is low?

I guess I really don't know....

Also: I have no frame of reference... Uh. what is normal?

What is high?

What is low?

I guess I really don't know....

That's a big problem with this sort of thing, yes.

radialchart.jpg

I like cuddling and hugging my cats more than I do humans, and cats are also generally prettier to look at, although some humans are nice to look at too.

My chart looks like a flower. :)

I just got around to doing this. Unfortunately everything came together in places so I ended up splitting things up.

Therefore I present three charts:

3279785218_2ede0801ae_o.gif

3279785254_0f61bf5a2e_o.gif

3278977153_9aeccdcd76_o.gif

I seem to be a definite aromantic asexual apart from that primary desire and the secondary romantic for women

The green line at platonic/physical is for pets, and the fantasy is - actually it's probably more one but I can't be bothered to change it again. None of it's fetish, just what I think about stuff.

• 3 months later...

I think this accurately presents me. My fetish doesn't involve sex, :P and though I don't have personal sexual desires, I do desire men very much as a demi-bi-sexual.

thatthing.jpg

Mine, updated. Drastic change from this. the distinction between attraction and desire: I like pleasing my partner and the intimacy, still no attraction.

radar.jpg

As for the pretty hollywood mid-easterntype boys:

Rami_malek.jpg

Is he not pretty? I also adore Sabu from the producers- for the whole 2 seconds he shows up on screen.

• 3 weeks later...
Some web designer ought to design a page that you fill out like a survey, that creates one of these for you.

I accept your challenge, and will raise you one poorly implemented, poorly designed solution, that's only a month late. (I started on this two-three weeks ago; then class got in the way... I blame life).

Generate your very own radar chart...

And, for reference:

radar2.gif

Asexual Heteromantic male.

One other thing I don't fully understand; based on the splitting of attraction and desire (and some comments on definition); is attraction necessarily'sexual attraction', or some more generic form of attraction?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's mine...

radar.jpg

Romantic hetero-asexual, possibly demi.

Interesting chart. The interesting thing about mine is that I'm more aesthetically attracted to women, but romantically attracted to men...? :huh: ;)

Wow that's a cool way to look at it !

radar18.gif

Not much up here, I like the Aesthetic though

Here's mine:

chart.jpg

To explain why I have the green line set so high at primary romantic...I've always considered myself "in love" with certain places and things. I feel the same way about these places/things that other people feel about their significant other(s)--I want to spend the majority of my time learning about them, taking care of them, being around them, etc. I don't know if I've done a very good job of explaining. :unsure:

Other than that I think my chart's self-explanatory.

• 5 months later...

radar290.gif

Not at all sexual, prefer women as long-term partners, and interested in tea and conversation with everyone.

I do wonder how much mathematics could be used to extract useful information from these maps.

I think this idea is pretty good for when you want to be more specific, though has less room for being all fuzzy lol. I don't think it's a matter of cube over radar, or radar over cube so much as what it is you want to convey.

In any case, my radar goes like this:

11rrsex.png

I would have put in the purple line, but I've no experience to be able to really say as I haven't, so far as I know, met any transgendered or other-gendered people let alone had any crushes or so on them (not that I've had a ton of crushes ever) so it's rather hard to place. I'd guess that the purple line would be in the same region as the red and blue lines.

The green, well mostly because there are many things I find pleasing to look at, and so far as I know this line doesn't mean in a way even sexuals would find sexual right? If not, then I placed that line wrong.

• 2 months later...

No more cubes? As much as I love making things more complicated than they have to be, I'm still in favor of cubes.

CUBES FOREVER!

weighted-companion-cube.png

98slbrookes98

How do you fill in the chart? Is it some website you go to and the link posted on this thread?

98slbrookes98

radar318.gif

I'm an asexual male. I find females to be slightly more attractive then males, and I have one fetish that I sometimes give in to.

yeah. took me forever to find the link. here it is.

http://www.codertao.com/Random/radarinput02.php

Thanks for the link.

• 8 months later...

Ooh, I feel rather shameful and noobish to be bumping up a topic that hasn't had any posts since March, but I just find it all too fascinating. ^^;

I tried making my chart, but my attractions to others have proven to be just too fluid.

First of all, I wasn't sure about "Physical" because I'm very touchy feely with people I have feelings for, but will virtually be a cold statue around all others. So is the Physical section just for people in general or should their be two distinct categories, perhaps "Romantic Physical" (Your tendency to be physical with people you love) and "Platonic Physical" (Your tendency to be physical with friends and acquaintances). Also, while I don't think it's as important there could perhaps be a separate fantasy category. So maybe change the current fantasy section's name to "Sexual Fantasy" and then add in "Romantic Fantasy." Because sometimes people have romantic fantasies regardless of their actual desire to be in a romantic relationship.

I'd also like clarification on "Primary Romantic." Is that your desire to be in a relationship under the assumption that you're already interested in someone romantically, or is it your desire to fall in love followed by a relationship with the love interest?

Because if it's the former I have very high Primary Romantic desire but virtually nonexistent Secondary Romantic desire. XD

But if it is the former, shouldn't their also be a category for your tednency to become romantically attracted to someone?

Sorry if I'm over-complicating this. I really like the idea, hence why I'm bumping a several month old topic. ^^;

I have been having some difficulties with it, too. I mean, a few years ago, I took the quiz and it was pretty straight forward; I was next to nothing with guys, for example. But now, I've a few friends that I'm very much physically close to, and I crave physical attention based on how I feel about them, not about their gender. If that makes sense...

http://www.codertao.com/Random/radar394.gif

My chart, I like this as a personal thing, I don't find it particularly easy to be open about my asexuality, even to myself, so this is nice for me.

I appreciate the difference between primary and secondary sexual attraction, because, as I recently confessed to a friend of mine, the entirety of my sex drive has been based on proving to a chauvinist society that I am masculine <_< That is what my secondary sexual desire represents on the chart (I assumed it fit under "some other motivation") Hmm, It really doesn't feel great to admit that (well, I will do sexual activity to please my partner, and it is nice to have someone who wishes to be so intimate, but that isn't really desire)

I legitimately don't understand how people separate their own attraction to different genders/sexes so I just used the purple line :rolleyes: . To clarify: I am an indifferent asexual, and I don't see (personally, I sorta understand how others might) how distinguishing between genitalia/gender role is important, because I don't wish to have sex with any one combo more or less than any other, and I find them quite unimportant for all other aspects of relationships.
  • 4 months later...

Ooh, I feel rather shameful and noobish to be bumping up a topic that hasn't had any posts since March, but I just find it all too fascinating. ^^;

In my case, it is March, but I agree with this statement right here. lol. This topic is just so good, though...

I did wonder, especially in aesthetic if it was for people you had a romantic attraction to or just the common people walking by on the street, as I would have different answers. But I just filled it in as the common person walking by on the street. It's in my siggy...

Again, sorry to bring up an old topic, but I really do think it's good... ^^u

• 3 weeks later...
TheMadcapLaughs

radar454.gif

Fascinating. Wish my friends would hug me more, and cuddle and hold hands with me...

Vampyremage

radar460.gif

My results. Kind of interesting.

Archived