Are you in your 40's?

PearsRblue

I hope it's not too late to add my name to the list? I'm 49 and it's been awhile since I've been here. It was nice to find this 40's thread started.

Nice to meet you all.

I'm closing in on 38, but I hope that I'll be accepted as "older" for the purposes of this discussion, because I'm a bit frustrated with the dominance of people half my age in the other parts of the site. As someone said, I'd prefer a place where people write complete sentences. But also I find that many of the young people here are still exploring their sexuality, whereas I'm a rapidly aging virgin asexual who has never felt any sexual attraction to anyone else and doesn't expect that to change, now that grey hairs have taken root on his scalp. No disdain for young people is intended (I was young once myself, believe it or not!), but I came here to talk with asexuals, and there may not be much of a dialogue to be had with a lot people who aren't too many years removed from puberty.

I'm closing in on 38, but I hope that I'll be accepted as "older" for the purposes of this discussion, because I'm a bit frustrated with the dominance of people half my age in the other parts of the site. As someone said, I'd prefer a place where people write complete sentences. But also I find that many of the young people here are still exploring their sexuality, whereas I'm a rapidly aging virgin asexual who has never felt any sexual attraction to anyone else and doesn't expect that to change, now that grey hairs have taken root on his scalp. No disdain for young people is intended (I was young once myself, believe it or not!), but I came here to talk with asexuals, and there may not be much of a dialogue to be had with a lot people who aren't too many years removed from puberty.

Personally I don't see the dominance of the younger generation on this site at all frustrating - if anything, it's the other way around - I just wish that the internet and such open discussions were around when I was their age :mellow:

I too am a rapidly ageing virgin who has also never felt sexual attraction, and at the age of 58 I'm perhaps leaving things a bit late now to change that :) Yet I find the conversations and openness of the younger generation to be very refreshing. They are not afraid to question their sexual identity and to seek answers to questions that in our day, would have had our parents suffering from shock that we should have the temerity to seek such personal and (at that time) forbidden knowledge.

Many youngsters here are more than capable of writing complete sentences, and indeed, given the propensity for a large number of the younger generation to only be able to communicate in an abbreviated language both in the written and verbal form (either text speak or otherwise incomprehensible grunts - no wot I meen m8...). I'm more than happy to use this board to read and occasionally discuss the finer points of how asexuality affects them.

Still, it's nice to have a place where us 'oldies' can hang out and say - Been there, done that and have the T-shirt :)

PetraNotMyRealName
all being older's got me is more experienced in life.

I don't think I'll consider my age at all until bits start dropping off.

LOL..well generally things don't tend to "drop off" but they do get closer to the floor year by year, especially AFTER you hit the 40 mark ;) :) I'm just hoping that since I'm short...things don't get too close to the floor TOO FAST! :blink:

Don't worry about the shortlegs..I have too...unfortunately there comes a time when gravity definately wins teh battle... :lol:

Are you in your 40's?

Yes, so I am a young'n; but my next b-day is 5-0. Since this is a leap year, I have one extra day at 49 before I turn less young. w00ts

Greetins to PearsRBlue, from Downunder, from another 40ish with the short leg syndrome. Glad to see a few more of us out there :)

I apologize if this is not the correct location for this thread. I don't know where to post, I'm new (post #2) and I've been browsing for a bit. I can't click on people's profiles to read, they're just not clickable. (How do you get to read someone's profile? How do you make it clickable??) I tried switching to IE but same thing.

I was a bit taken aback by the title/definition for this thread, then I clicked and some posts were 60+ which is great for those that are 60+ that they have a place. So far the only ages I've come across (in posts where age was revealed) have been teens, 20 somethings and now 60 year olds. All my life I've related better to older people, get along great with younger and now I'm all age-confused and would like to start in my age-bracket. I'm feeling out of place. Although I welcome input from everyone, I'd like to find the 40-somethings and say hello. Is there a more appropriate location/forum/thread specifically for this age bracket? If not, and if you're in your late 30's/40's please say "hey", I'd like that.

Thanks.

I am new to the forum, and really dont know how to operate this thread....I am married for 23 yrs, somewhat happily, but to a sexual. I think I just admitted to myself the past few years that I have very little-no sexual interest. My spouse has always felt there was something wrong with me, so I thought so too; we do live in a sex crazed world. I am in late 40"s. Trying to figure out how to be at peace with who I am.

• 2 weeks later...
Emily the Strange

Hi, I'm brand new here and am 45 years old. If a new forum is created for we "mid-life crisis" folks, please let us all know! Until then, this one's great :)

Happy Easter!

Emily :)

• 2 weeks later...
Rhiannontex

Hi! I'm 48 myself. I've always been asexual, the thought of sex has always just left me cold. I do like to cuddle and be affectionate, and I LOVE to ogle men, but since I knew that being married would require sex, I never bothered really looking for a mate.

I apologize if this is not the correct location for this thread. I don't know where to post, I'm new (post #2) and I've been browsing for a bit. I can't click on people's profiles to read, they're just not clickable. (How do you get to read someone's profile? How do you make it clickable??) I tried switching to IE but same thing.

I was a bit taken aback by the title/definition for this thread, then I clicked and some posts were 60+ which is great for those that are 60+ that they have a place. So far the only ages I've come across (in posts where age was revealed) have been teens, 20 somethings and now 60 year olds. All my life I've related better to older people, get along great with younger and now I'm all age-confused and would like to start in my age-bracket. I'm feeling out of place. Although I welcome input from everyone, I'd like to find the 40-somethings and say hello. Is there a more appropriate location/forum/thread specifically for this age bracket? If not, and if you're in your late 30's/40's please say "hey", I'd like that.

Thanks.

Just stopped by to say HI Im 40 something it is nice to see im not the only one on this sight. You wouldnt be american would you??

Hi Im new too I dont know if my reply to u send or not. But I am 40 something. Just stopped top say HI. You wouldnt happen to be american would you???

if you're in your late 30's/40's please say "hey", I'd like that.

Hi Pears, there are plenty of us here. I'm over forty (just) and my wife's under (just). I think forty is fine for the Older Asexuals forum, especially if that's forty with life experience and not just twenty-five years' worth of being fifteen :)

Ok, I am saying "Hey". I am 39 and I am also a newbie at this :blush: . Not sure exactly what to say, but, I am glad I found this site. I don't feel so much alone. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Provence2005

Well I'm coming up to 40 (September), so again I suppose I don't fit the profiles either.

Just post when you feel you can contribute something

Welcome to both of you 39-ers. :cake:

Feel free to post.

*will be 5-0 next b-day and found that my 40's were quite an adventurous time*

Enjoy! :)

To me, older adults are people who don't make constant references to their parents' admonitions/attitudes, who can speak in language besides that of anime (whatever that is), and who have experienced living out in the world for some time. That could mean anyone from their 30s to 90s or older. However, I do like hearing from others who've lived out in the world for a LONG time, as I have. Even though the population in America at least is supposedly aging, it's hard not to feel like the whole culture is run for 22-year-olds.

< retired >
Even though the population in America at least is supposedly aging, it's hard not to feel like the whole culture is run for 22-year-olds.

Move down here to Southwest Florida and you'll be singing a different tune. We have the highest concentration of "mature" folks in the country. Hardly a day goes by that I don't get stuck behind an elderly woman driving her enormous Lincoln 20 MPH under the speed limit. And, if we are approaching a stoplight, her brake lights will go on if there is even the slightest chance that the light will turn red sometime in the next 5 minutes. It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm not - my 95 year old grandmother is one of those elderly women still on the road. :rolleyes:

I'd gladly move to Florida if I could -- we've had about 5 days of sun in the last 6 months in Seattle!

Thanks.

Just to let you know I,ve just joined and Im in my forties if you want to chat. see ya PIP

UnicornLady
I thought it you're bi you're having tons of sex with whomever doesn't matter.

Erm… no. I'm in my early 40s and would call myself bi-emotional, physically a. I can be emotionally/æsthetically attracted to men and women, but I don't want to have sex with them. And being bi-anything doesn't mean that having no taste/being totally indiscriminate. I am very discerning with my affections (and I can safely say the actively bisexual people I know are the same).

Dropping by, I'm a newbie - 41! I look forward to discussing asexualtiy with people of all ages, its so wondrous to me to see something that has bothered me for so long, openly discussed among all ages.

I'm single, never married, might be interested in a relationship someday if sex can be left out of the equation. Nice to think there is a remote possibility of this.

Cheers,

Ghizwiz

< retired >

Welcome! AVEN can use all of the 'mature' folks it can get. The AVEN population seems a bit skewed toward sexually anxious teenagers and twenty-somethings. This isn't a surprise - peer pressure is in full force during those years, and it can be alarming to think that you aren't part of the vast, thundering sexual herd.

Have some :cake: :cake:

I'm 44.

I usually think of myself as "older", and occasionally even wiser. ^_^

I'm definitely older.

I'm still holding out hope for "wiser" when/if I grow up.

-GB

• 2 weeks later...

GBird puts the cool in the 50-sumpin'. 8)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 41 (hmm still sounds a bit weird when I say that lol) but have always felt kinda old...older than the chronological ages thru my "youth". Hence I felt pretty old @ 20...old before my time, really :rolleyes:

Its a bit contradictory though, as I have been diagnosed with BPD, which as people on this thread have pointed out, makes me feel inside like a child as well lol. Very strange hehe...

The AVEN population seems a bit skewed toward sexually anxious teenagers and twenty-somethings. This isn't a surprise - peer pressure is in full force during those years, and it can be alarming to think that you aren't part of the vast, thundering sexual herd.

Yeah I noticed the predominant demographics here, and thought of that as a possibility...but you put it really well ;)

Made me think of wildebeest for some reason :lol:

I was in my 40s not that long ago does that count??? I'm told I look in my 30s (when I work at it) I feel like I'm in my 20s, and sometimes act like I'm in my teens :twisted:

I was in my 40s not that long ago does that count??? I'm told I look in my 30s (when I work at it) I feel like I'm in my 20s, and sometimes act like I'm in my teens :twisted:

That sounds just riiight :D

• 2 weeks later...
Harpo's Gookie

Hello all

I am 42 going on 43 in a few months . I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread. Young or old, whether you have known from the get-go or just figuring it out, we are all in the same boat. But it's nice to be able to move to a different corner and converse with the old crotchety folks. haha

I kid, I kid. I'm a kidder :P

Archived