The Big Bang Theory--TV Show

Niemand

no, from what i've seen, you've made a fair point there eddie

Bah.

Jim Parsons interview where he talks about the prospect of Sheldon getting into a relationship and the such. He seems to be pretty excited by the prospect of exploring that side of Sheldon too.

He does confirm, albeit unofficially though, that Sheldon has to be a virgin though.

annwyl_cariad
Bah.

Jim Parsons interview where he talks about the prospect of Sheldon getting into a relationship and the such. He seems to be pretty excited by the prospect of exploring that side of Sheldon too.

He does confirm, albeit unofficially though, that Sheldon has to be a virgin though.

If I were him, I think I'd be excited at exploring that aspect of the character. Almost every actor likes to explore their character in new and unfamiliar situations. Jim definitely seems to think that romance and attraction are a completely new thing to Sheldon and that if he felt such things, he'd think they were gas or heartburn or something. That seems in line with my idea of Sheldon.

Violet_Loves_Iliona
It actually occurs to me that they may not want to label him as an asexual for the same reason they are opposed to the idea of labeling him an aspie.

To do so would possibly undermine the comedy value in the character. As it stands now, everyone can have a laugh at Sheldon because he's so odd and different to the average person. Declaring that he is an aspie would make many of the jokes at his expense cruel as it would be a mocking of something that he can't control. If they intend to get humour out of Sheldon's inability to form relationships (sexual or otherwise), I can see their hesitation in outing him as such.

I may be way off with that, but it's a theory.

Maybe, but then again Boston Legal has Gerry Espensen who is a character known to have quite severe asperger's, and his storylines are hilarious (not to mention that he has become one of the most loved characters).

... then again, Boston Legal makes a point of having totally non-PC storylines.

annwyl_cariad

SPOILER FOR 2.21 (tonight's episode)

I'm curious about the whole social construct [of 'friends with benefits.'] On its face, the idea of satisfying one's sexual appetite (assuming one is afflicted with such) without social entanglement, that seems imminently practical. What I've observed, however, is Howard Wolowitz crying like a little girl.

Favorite quote of tonight's episode. The bolded words made it for me. Although I wasn't too thrilled with the placement of a laugh track following said bolded words.

Maybe, but then again Boston Legal has Gerry Espensen who is a character known to have quite severe asperger's, and his storylines are hilarious (not to mention that he has become one of the most loved characters).

Yes, it did.

Much as I loved that show, the Jerry Asperger's thing annoyed the hell out of me though. Jerry in no way represented the typical AS sufferer. The fact it was then used as an excuse for multiple violent acts was offensive at best, and downright insulting at worst.

I liked Jerry as a character. I just don't understand why he couldn't have been as eccentric as he was without assigning him a condition that they obviously had no understanding of.

but then again that's a common component of tv shows

remember the fraiser episode with the guy in the wheelchair. they make the guy in the wheelchair into a complete jerk except no one else but fraiser could see this

then there's curb your enthusiasm wth the blind guy who's all superficial about having an attractive girlfriend

• 2 weeks later...
Sheldon's character is generally unfamiliar with social/relationship norms, so they could easily develop his character so that he eventually 'learns the importance' of these things and becomes sexual. The entire ideology of the series is that Sheldon, at the start of the series at least, is wrong. He's the personification of everything "socially unacceptable". Okay, he's a genius.. but he's childish, selfish, uncaring, egotistical, unemotional, doesn't drink, isn't in(or seeking) a romantic/sexual relationship, isn't very self-dependent, is clueless when it comes to social etiquette. The list is probably longer but I wont bother with any more. Despite making a character like this, the creators are clearly not using him to attempt to alter the current ideology in the US to make these traits acceptable. Everything on that list is used for comedy, and usually at Sheldon's expense. And as the series progresses, they are clearly using some of the Sheldon-centric episodes to fix him of these "problems" - eventually maybe his asexy-ness.

All that's fine, until the asexual label starts getting thrown around... and in my opinion, I don't think it would be helpful to have an asexual character who is cured of his asexuality.

I'm sorry I can't explain things much better D:

Best comment so far :D

I love the show, but I must say I 100% agree with you on this

Having sheldon get labeled asexual only to have it fixed would probably be counterproductive to a degree. :/

It actually occurs to me that they may not want to label him as an asexual for the same reason they are opposed to the idea of labeling him an aspie.

To do so would possibly undermine the comedy value in the character. As it stands now, everyone can have a laugh at Sheldon because he's so odd and different to the average person. Declaring that he is an aspie would make many of the jokes at his expense cruel as it would be a mocking of something that he can't control. If they intend to get humour out of Sheldon's inability to form relationships (sexual or otherwise), I can see their hesitation in outing him as such.

I may be way off with that, but it's a theory.

I agree with those that said Gerry isn't the best example of aspergers- I had no idea that's what he had, it seems pretty weird to think that's aspergers. I like how Boston Legal deals with some things- but it does have it's annoying moments. It was pretty awesome to have a homosexual crossdresser point out that most are straight- and people took Clarence's headmates, even the female ones, well enough. But it could use some work.

ThePieMaker

I don't want Sheldon to be called asexual or an aspie on the show (even though I believe it's fine for fans and such to think of him as such). I don't want a reason for the way he is. I love his character and giving an explanation would just take away some of the magic that is Sheldon.

Jillianimal

I just emailed them asking if there was a way I could contact TBBT producers ^-^

Archived