Eight myths about religious life

(SP)

http://www.ozvocations.catholic.org.au/thi...nmag/myths.html

I think we will be most interested in myth number 8.

2012 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but the content can be found here. For future reference:

Eight myths about religious life

amythpic.jpg

Contrary to popular misconceptions, religious orders aren't filled with crooning priests, flying nuns, and crotchety church ladies ready to rap your knuckles.

Many young people do not consider religious life because of mistaken notions they pick up from various sources, including Catholics

By David Nantais, S.J. and Scott Opperman, S.J.

In our fast-paced, media-driven culture, public opinion can become skewed if popular film, television, and periodicals promote an outdated stereotype of religious life. With few exceptions, the familiar media-inspired model of a person in religious life is either a bitter woman in a full habit rattling knuckles with a ruler, or an obtuse old man in a robe walking hunched over and mumbling something in a language that is long dead.

As young men excited about being in religious life, we find these portraits, along with many others, not only inaccurate but also potentially damaging to the future of religious life. Many young people do not consider such a life because of mistaken notions they pick up from various sources, including Catholics. We would like to debunk eight common myths of religious life and illustrate the beauty, contentment, and psychological health one could potentially find in this unique lifestyle.

MYTH 1
Religious orders are dying out

Hearing this myth, we can't help but reminisce about the scene from The Empire Strikes Back when the ghost of Obi Wan Kenobi comments to the sage Yoda that young Luke Skywalker is their only hope, the last of a once powerful and illustrious group. Although the number of people in religious life is down from when it peaked in the mid-twentieth century, most orders are doing better than the Jedi Knights! There are hundreds of men's and women's religious orders. Each of these has its own distinctive charism--or spirituality--and many still welcome new members annually. Although some religious congregations are dying, others are thriving. Religious life has been around for centuries, through periods of both growth and decline, and it will continue to survive as it faithfully adapt to the needs of the church and world.

MYTH 2
Nuns teach and priests say Mass

Religious orders recognize that human beings are born with many gifts from God. One of the goals in religious life is to determine how an individual's gifts can be used to serve God and the church. Attempting to fit people into positions for which they aren't prepared or for which they have no talent is not a way to glorify God. While teaching and presiding at the Eucharist are two important ministries carried out by men and women in religious life, there are hundreds of other ways to serve. Within the ranks of religious life are doctors, lawyers, economists, writers, administrators, architects, engineers, scientists, artists, and actors. Religious life is a way to live, not a line of work.

MYTH 3
Taking vows of poverty, chastity and obedience is strange

Granted, poverty, chastity, and obedience would probably not make the cut for a David Letterman Top Ten list on ways to have a good time. But there is a richness to these vows that is usually lost in common misunderstandings. Religious vows, like vows of marriage, are taken as a means to a greater end. The three most common vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience allow us to minister to a wide variety of people. The vows provide a freedom that allows us to engage the world in a special way, less restrained by material pursuits, by family commitments, and even by our own individual interests. In addition, the vows serve as a countercultural witness, especially in a world that overemphasizes money, sex, and power. The vows serve as a reminder that the idols we sometimes pursue are weak substitutes for the love of God, who continually calls all people to live their vocations authentically.

MYTH 4
Religious life is a life of suffering

If this were the case, neither of us would have joined! Realistically, whatever vocation a person pursues is going to bring some suffering; this is the reality of being human. The important question to reflect upon is, does the suffering or sacrificing I do serve a greater purpose and make me happy? A life vocation, whether married life, single life, or religious life, should be chosen because one feels called to live a certain way. To expect a life without suffering is unrealistic, but one can expect a life with a foundation in love and happiness. Just as parents sacrifice many things for their children, men and women in religious life sacrifice for the people of God. Sometimes this sacrificing can involve suffering, but it is done in love for others and not for its own sake. Men and women in religious life, like most healthy people, do not hope to suffer, but if their lives are lived authentically in love, suffering is going to be present at times. Thankfully God is often most present to us when we suffer.

MYTH 5
Religious are superholy

We're human, and that means there's a spectrum of religious temperaments in religious communities, from those who experience Christ in a mystical, immediate way to those who discover him through service, from those who prefer the rosary and eucharistic adoration to those who prefer more experimental forms of prayer. The unifying factor is what's important: all are disciples of Jesus, uniquely called to share the spirituality of their communities with each other, the larger church, and the world. The people mix keeps religious life fun and interesting, while it also creates challenges. But that's true of life in general, isn't it?

MYTH 6
Religious are docile

Religious take vows of obedience, not of submissiveness and abuse. Most religious sisters, brothers, and priests we know have more in common with the Lone Ranger than with Tonto. Orders hope for mature, well-balanced, interdependent, highly motivated, creative candidates, not for weak, submissive, dependent drones.

Rather than blind submissiveness, obedience means to listen. Like all people, religious women and men are called to listen to God and to the needs of their order and the church. Obedience requires mature listening and dialogue between a religious and her or his superiors. Religious are invited to share their prayer, desires, talents, fears, and joys so that superiors may make knowledgeable decisions that are best for that person, a particular community, the order, and the church. Celibate chastity and simple living are requisites for living religious life, but the vow of obedience is most directly linked to carrying out the actual purpose of a religious community.

MYTH 7
Religious give up their families and friends

Upon entering religious life, relationships with family and friends change, but they never end. Just as people's relationships change after they marry, a shift takes place for religious, too. The quality of the change is different depending on the type of community people enter. Strict cloistered congregations will mean fewer visits with outside friends and family. But the majority of U.S. religious communities are apostolic--that is, focused on service, and members are encouraged to have healthy, lasting relationships with their loved ones. These relationships are never replaced by the community, even though we sometimes might wish they could be, at least for a little while.

MYTH 8
Religious are asexual

Question: What do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist. Sexuality is a gift from God and thus a fundamental part of our human identity. Those who repress their sexuality are not living as God created them to be: fully alive and well. As such, they're most likely unhappy.

All people are called by God to live chastely, meaning being respectful of the gift of their sexuality. Religious men and women vow celibate chastity, which means they live out their sexuality without engaging in sexual behavior. A vow of chastity does not mean one represses his manhood or her womanhood. Sexuality and the act of sex are two very different things. While people in religious life abstain from the act of sex, they do not become asexual beings, but rather need to be in touch with what it means to be a man or a woman. A vow of chastity also does not mean one will not have close, loving relationships with women and men. In fact, such relationships are a sign of living the vow in a healthy way. Living a religious vow of chastity is not always easy, but it can be a very beautiful expression of love for God and others.

Religious women and men aren't oddities; they mirror the rest of the church they serve: there are introverts and extroverts, tall and short, old and young, straight and gay, obese and skinny, crass and pious, humorous and serious, and everything in between. They attempt to live the same primary vocation as all other Christians do: proclaiming and living the gospel. However, religious do this as members of an order that serve the church and world in a particular way. Like marriage and the single life, religious life can be wonderful, fulfilling, exciting, and, yes, normal. Yet, it also can be countercultural and positively challenging. It's that for us and many others.

If you thought religious life was outdated, dysfunctional, or dead, we hope you can now look beyond the stereotypes and see the gift it is to the church and world.

thumb1.jpgDavid Nantais, S.J. (left) is the university minister for the College of Engineering and Science at the University of Detroit Mercy. Prior to entering the Jesuits, he worked as a lab tech at Ford Motor Company and as a research scientist at Iowa State University. thumb2.jpgScott Opperman, S.J. (right) is a Jesuit of the Detroit Province studying at Loyola University Chicago and ministering to and

Well, let's look at it shall we?

MYTH 8

Religious are asexual

On its face, I'm sure that is a myth for the majority.

Question: What do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist.

How kind! The Jesuit says I don't exist.

But I get this creeping suspicion that I do.

I just feel it.

Sexuality is a gift from God and thus a fundamental part of our human identity.

Asexuality is a form of sexual orientation.

A gift from God for which I am grateful.

And if I am grateful, then I am, and your statement that I don't exist is in error.

Those who repress their sexuality . . .

Those calling themselves asexual of course.

are not living as God created them to be: fully alive and well.

So I'm unwell.

I decide my condition, not you.

As such, they're most likely unhappy.

He obviously hasn't been here.

All people are called by God to live chastely,

I'm sorry I'm really getting nauseated.

They're afraid of us. They're terrified.

I feel that almost as strongly as I feel my own existence.

We've managed to scare the Jesuits. Good God!

bard of aven

Jesuits accusing others of not being human. What a hoot.

Three things you will never see in the Catholic church (I first heard this while I was a member of one of these organizations): A clean Franciscan, a thin Dominican, and a humble Jesuit.

boa

Cate Perfect
How kind! The Jesuit says I don't exist.

But I get this creeping suspicion that I do.

I just feel it.

LOL!!

LOL@boa, as well. *writes that one down*

I'm not even going to look at the article--I can tell it would raise my blood pressure. Seeing the quotes are enough to support Tressa's BOOOO!!

Cate

Question: What do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist.

And I'm sure attitudes like that have been at least partly to blame for at least one asexual committing suicide at some time. :evil:

*adds another file to "reasons for doing away with any involvement in organized religion" case folder*

Oh, wait: I'm not really sure how this post got here. I certainly didn't do it. Remember, I don't exist :roll:

Jesuits accusing others of not being human. What a hoot.

Three things you will never see in the Catholic church (I first heard this while I was a member of one of these organizations): A clean Franciscan, a thin Dominican, and a humble Jesuit.

boa

Pride and fear are two sides of the same coin.

I pity them their incapacity to perceive it, but I'm not here to correct their deficiencies.

The best anyone can do is counter with our experience and our logic their inaccurate information to the public.

Worthless Poster

If it's a "gift," then why is the church so against it's frequent use? Hmm?

Me thinks I smells a contradiction.

"What do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist."

Note to self: Learn to hack and hit this site.

fluffy_hime

It's people like that who give a bad name to religion. Not everyone who practices/identifies with a religion is a complete idiot, if it makes anyone feel better. Personally, I tend to think the whole compassion/mercy/forgiveness/tolerance aspect is more important than the make-others-feel-like-idiots-or-sinners-so-they'll-convert bit.

Note to self: Learn to hack and hit this site.

What is it they say on IRC again..? "Don't learn to hack, hack to learn!"

Sorry.. but it's such a dogmatic suggestion that I had to include it (it reminded me of Jesuits!)

Also..

And I'm sure attitudes like that have been at least partly to blame for at least one asexual committing suicide at some time.

That's ridiculous. Who ever heard of a nonexistent person killing himself? And so what? (If a tree falls in a forest, and it hits a non-existent asexual, does anybody care? (Credit to Larson))

Personally, I tend to think the whole compassion/mercy/forgiveness/tolerance aspect is more important than the make-others-feel-like-idiots-or-sinners-so-they'll-convert bit.
This is the way I feel as well.

Um no. At least the way I've always seen it defined on the site, people who are repressed are called frigid. We can't be repressed if it's something we don't have...that's why the part about being fully alive and well would apply to us as well.

I was initially turned off by the initial paragraph as well, but reading down, it looks like they have a broader definition of sexuality than just whether or not you want to have sex.

A vow of chastity does not mean one represses his manhood or her womanhood. Sexuality and the act of sex are two very different things. While people in religious life abstain from the act of sex, they do not become asexual beings, but rather need to be in touch with what it means to be a man or a woman. A vow of chastity also does not mean one will not have close, loving relationships with women and men. In fact, such relationships are a sign of living the vow in a healthy way.

I think they get the concepts of sexuality and gender mixed up a little. By their definition we would not be considered asexual since we are in tune with what it means to be a man or woman and most of us are capable of close relationships. So they're definitely not sexologists or gender scholars but that's not a point of their site. I think they would "get us" more than most people would seeing as they emphasize that sex is not the be all,end all to being close to other people. So while their terminology is obviously offputting, they can be seen as potential allies...

fluffy_hime

Um no. At least the way I've always seen it defined on the site, people who are repressed are called frigid. We can't be repressed if it's something we don't have...that's why the part about being fully alive and well would apply to us as well.

I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic.

I was being sarcastic, but also speaking to the way these individuals have chosen to understand asexuality.

They don't seem to realize that we have a sexuality- it just manifests itself in behavior & attraction as asexual. We haven't repressed anything.

We just live a different thing. Asexuality is a sexuality- it is just as valid as any other orientation.

I think that repressed people are extremely rare.

VivreEstEsperer

What an asshole whoever wrote that was!!!

We've managed to scare the Jesuits. Good God!

LOL

I was being sarcastic, but also speaking to the way these individuals have chosen to understand asexuality.

They don't seem to realize that we have a sexuality- it just manifests itself in behavior & attraction as asexual. We haven't repressed anything.

We just live a different thing. Asexuality is a sexuality- it is just as valid as any other orientation.

No comment, I just wanted to see the nested quotes get bigger :D

--david

Has anyone here considered studying Brianism?

http://www.brianism.org/sevenpillars.htm

http://www.brianism.org/about.htm

What is Brianism?

Brianism is a religion-substitute based upon the writings and sayings of Brian the cyber-prophet.

Despite the unusual name, Brianism is a serious belief-system that provides guidance for all aspects of life and sets long-term goals for the human race and its successors.

Unlike other religions, Brianism is fun. It is also controversial. Most Brianists are nonconformists who are capable of thinking for themselves, rather than blindly accepting religious dogma or pseudo-science. This can be upsetting to believers in the irrational, who see Brianists as the enemy.

I never thought that Monty Python's Life of Brian would spawn a new faith. But here it is.

Down the hall, to the left, and one cross each.

Always look on the bright side of life.

fluffy_hime

No comment, I just wanted to see the nested quotes get bigger :D

--david

Me too. I don't know if we've ever done it as large as it can go, but an old member named Wombat nearly got there once.

Maybe we are their equivalent of the Dawn of the Dead zombies. Man that movie owned.

I just read through the first paragraph, laughed, then closed the window.

Archived