Are you concerned with your looks?

Monkey20

...because, you know, I never understood that. When my parents friends or whatever say "Oh, your daughter is so beautiful!" [to be polite, I'm sure] I just reply "Oh, you think so? Thank you, that's very nice of you" but I don't actually feel flattered by it. I've never cared about my looks. Like, shaving my legs and plucking my eyebrows. Even with my hair, I just put some moisturizer in it and vuala [sP?], I don't have to worry about it. I've tried make up before, sure, but in all honesty wearing make up makes me self-concious about my looks, and I never understood why other girls my age feel the need to plaster it on [and half the time it really doesn't look that good].

How do you feel about your looks?

i'm really into art, so i like decorating myself and looking presentable. pure aesthetics. i pretty much always say 'thank you' when someone compliments me on my physical appearance, but i don't really get much from it anymore. i'd rather someone compliment me on my hair/clothing or something, rather than my face. :/ you know, something i actually have control over? LMAO.

i had a guy friend last year who would insult me instead of compliment me because i don't react to compliments from guys well, hahaha. he'd be like "i'm not even going to compliment you today!" rofl. i'd always raise a skeptical eyebrow or say "oh brother!" when a guy would tell me i was attractive or something. i never really noticed until he told me.

I used to feel that way too-- I actually felt more embarrassed when I dressed up/wore make up. I didn't pluck my eyebrows until my mom suggested in for a wedding, when I was in 10th grade--even then, she did it, not me.

When I started college, though, it changed. I believe in making myself at least look presentable and I do wear makeup every time I leave the house, but the way I wear it, people don't really notice. I just like feeling confident...especially because, honestly, a lot of people called me ugly in high school, so it's one of those "just in case I run into one of them" things...also, when I was a teacher I wanted to look nice just in case I ran into a parent/student.

I don't think I'm overly concerned with looks, just concerned enough.

I used to be. Not that I did anything about it but when I was younger I wondered why some girls got to be pretty and others didn't. Now it doesn't matter and the ones who started wearing make up in their teens have got some baggy skin on them now. My hair and my face are both 'wash and wear', I have never used make up. I do pluck my eyebrow to make two of them but I only shave in the summer. Or if I'm going swimming.

I pay a lot of attention to my looks, for me. I'm actually a very plain looking girl naturally and my personality just can't be kept in that kind of shell. :wink:

I put a lot of time into my looks and take great pride in them. I've never taken care of my appearance for anyone else and I never will. I do it for me and I really don't see any fault in that.

I guess I should add that I just don't like it when people do it for others, rather than for themselves. When they're always self-concious andf feel the need to dress up but still call themself ugly, to me that's just really pathetic.

I hate how I look but I can't change it. I am pale, have terrible acne, a badly shaped head too big for my body, terrible hair, and I look about 5 years younger than I am, no matter what I do. I've been told time and time again when I was younger that I was ugly, but for some reason my friends say, « Oh, you aren't ugly, you need to tell yourself that you're sexy and you will be ». Of course that's complete crap so I don't subscribe to that. You can't change reality by believing otherwise. Where the hell did that mentality come from ? I'm honest, because like I said, it's not something anyone, let alone me, chose.

To some extent. I DO shower although I don't wear matching socks or new shoes all the time. And sometimes my shirt and pants don't match, but they are all clean. My teeth are cleaned twice everyday and my hair is too. So I guess I do a bit, but not much. I rarely spend money on myself, so I only buy new clothes when mine get too big or there is a permentant stain in them.

I'm not concerned with my appearance. As long as I'm comfy I'm fine. At the same time I'm a bit of a merch maniac and can usually be seen going round in my "Max and Crossbones" (Sam and Max) or "Grif" (Red Vs Blue) T-shirt. Or my "All natural (it suits me)" (Brights Movement) hoodie. But those are all to raise awareness or basically my way of saying "Support the team!" and have nothing to do with me wanting to look nice :D

Hell I wear socks with sandals. Again, this is comfort. The sandals provide the comfort as compared to wearing tight shoes, while the socks are pretty much needed for the cold Scottish weather XD

i must say unless i am going out for a special occaision i don't really care about how i look, as long as i am comfortable with what i am wearing

I don't make much of an effort. To the point where my mother still insists on helping me pick clothes if I have to go out for a formal occassion. I don't wear makeup or anything like that. I spend no time on it at all.

I only worry about the fact I'm fat but that's a health thing as much as an appearance thing.

I guess I should add that I just don't like it when people do it for others, rather than for themselves. When they're always self-concious andf feel the need to dress up but still call themself ugly, to me that's just really pathetic.

I agree. If a person just likes to dress up and feels good that way then all the power to them but when they do it because of the standards set by unrealistic media/TV/Movies etc etc I feel bad for them.

JokeyFairbobbin

Eh, most of my worry for my looks goes into trying my hardest to NOT look feminine. At the same time, though, if I'm going to look pretty for something, I'd better be stunning. I enjoy looking nice, but I get frustrated that it's so hard to look good without looking girly.

Dont wear make up i'm allergic to most of it

and even if i wasn't i probably still wouldn't wear any of it.

Definitely dress for me and my comfort, not about anyone

else

~A~

reverse_thrust

Not really. I only have a few nondescript articles of clothing, and aside from maintaining a certain level of cleanliness for the purpose of feeling clean, I don't bother all that much. I'm rather unremarkable.

I do care about my looks - I wear makeup though people usually tell me they can't even tell I'm wearing makeup. What I really care more about is the way I dress. I'm a designer addict so I tend to purchase and wear expensive clothing of various designers but I hate very trendy pieces.

I agree. If a person just likes to dress up and feels good that way then all the power to them but when they do it because of the standards set by unrealistic media/TV/Movies etc etc I feel bad for them.

Yeah, I agree 100%. If I ever dress up, it's more concern for how I look and feel to me, than to someone else.

I do care sometimes, but there's nothing I can do to make myself actually look good. Even when I do wear make-up, I still look like a freak, and not one piece of clothing I have flatters me. It's so annoying sometimes.

I don't really care about my looks either. I hate makeup. I'm not looking to put a show on for people. I've had people try to get me to use it, but I'd rather not. There's no point.

I care about my looks when I have a reason to. If I'm just heading to class, I'm not going to waste the time. I'll put on clothes that match and try to make sure my hair's brushed and up semi-decently, but that takes a minute, tops. I do like getting all girled up when I have an excuse (and the time to spend). I always wear makeup to church and try to make myself look presentable. I love summer because it means I can wear all my fun Hawaiian dresses. It's fun to really get into it; one reason why I love cosplay.

I care about my personal appearance but it's for me. I think someone else mentioned the aesthetic and I am totally into aesthetics of dress and appearance because this is how I feel better. But I would never ever fault anyone else for being comfortable as they are. I don't wear a lot of makeup (and didn't until recently). I only recently had someone groom my eyebrows (which were not bad on their own). I do shave but it depends on clothing and part of it is for comfort. My hair is somewhat styled but could just as easily be tied back in a ponytail. I like to shop and imagine outfits and I spend a fair bit of money on clothes. I do feel guilty about the amount of money I spend on clothes but I suppose it's my vice and I don't do it at the expense of my budget.

I believe in making myself at least look presentable and I do wear makeup every time I leave the house' date='[/quote']

What does presentable mean in these cases? How is going without makeup unpresentable? Especially when no one notices. Why is looking good even more important in church, where people are taught to be concerned with their actions instead of appearances?

I believe in making myself at least look presentable and I do wear makeup every time I leave the house' date='[/quote']
I always wear makeup to church and try to make myself look presentable.

What does presentable mean in these cases? How is going without makeup unpresentable? Especially when no one notices. Why is looking good even more important in church' date=' where people are taught to be concerned with their actions instead of appearances?[/quote']

presentable (imo) means not looking disheveled/like you don't take care of yourself.

as for the makeup aspect, i personally have a few rather unsightly acne scars. if i'm going out where i know i'll be seen/there's a lot of people, i'll put makeup on so i don't look like a greasy pizza face. if you look decent without makeup, the more power to you. i only don't wear makeup if i'm extremely tired/lazy and know i'm going somewhere where i won't really run into anyone important (like my morning math class! blech...)

I suppose "presentable" was a little bit too general. I don't look bad without makeup, but when I go to the trouble of putting on nicer clothes, at least from my own perspective, I should take the trouble of "completing" the look so to speak. So when I'm doing my whole girly sundress thing, I'll try to match my face to the dress with my makeup (color matching, how shimmery something is, etc). The differences may not be huge, but if there's one thing my design classes taught me, sometimes the subtle differences can communicate the loudest.

When I'm going for more of a natural look, a lot of it is to cover up a lack of sleep and to help my own confidence level. I believe that the clothes (and makeup) we wear affects how we act in most occasions. Not huge differences, but, for example, I act much more casual when I'm wearing my comfy jeans and a T-shirt versus a button-down top. When I don't look as tired, I don't feel as tired. I know full well it's purely a psychological trick, another form of placebo, but there's a lot more to mental awareness than simple head knowledge.

Sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror I begin to wonder if I subconsciously (or possibly consciously) make myself look somewhat intimidating in order to hide my own nervousness :P I wear black a lot, since I have a "Max and Crossbones" T-shirt as aforementioned and have a black leather jacket. Mix this with my somewhat dishevelled hair, the scar I have over my right eyebrow from last year's car accident and I kinda look slightly intimidating ^_^;

If that were the case then yes, I care about my looks somewhat, but only as a defensive measure :P I haven't been mugged in the street yet so it must be working XD Plus I like giving old folks a surprise when I act polite to them :D

most of the time i'm not concerned with looking good but if i was going on a night out i do try to look ok

As long as a person doesn't smell bad.

People go on and on about the wannabee goths and gangstas and the hoodie-clones and punks. No, they're not looks I find attractive but they're not dressing to please ME and as long as they don't stink I don't care.

When I worked for Goodwill though, a lot of the gothies came in to buy clothing because we had a lot of the black wool overcoats and such and MY GOD they stunk! I felt like saying "just because you wear black doesn't mean you don't have to wash!" I don't care how a person dresses but my word, if they're gonna' smell like they've just loaded their drawers then that's NOT okay.

Archived