Suicide

RekrabMot

Nico-Nico Friendo
What are your thoughts on suicide?

It is sad, especially for the people who are left behind to grieve the death of the person who killed themself. Especially sad if the person was young and not old and already on their death bed.

Have you attempted suicide?

No, but I've contemplated it many times, especially in the past when I was extremely depressed.

Do you think there are any occasions when suicide is acceptable?

Not sure. It depends of the severity of the situation and degree of suffering the person is going through I suppose. But then again, how do you measure that? How can it be known whether or not the situation would have gotten better or a solution could have been found -- if only the person had waited or finally had thought of a way to solve their problem without resorting to suicide? It's hard to say.

Does anyone know of any 'safe' suicide methods!

Erm . . . NOT comitting suicide. (Seriously, how can killing yourself be considered 'safe'? You die!!!!) But maybe you meant, "What is the most effective, quickest, least painful, etc. way to die?"?

I haven't thought much about suicide recently.

When I was younger though, I thought about it a lot.

I'm glad I didn't do it.

Suicide is a short term fix for many and they can't fathom life beyond the immediate situation.

Some people aren't in the head space to make balanced choices due to factors beyond their control.

We are all connected. I have lost friends to suicide. I honestly can't sit back and say that I agree with their views...that they had nothing to live for, nothing to give or gain.

Even the bum on the corner contributes in some way...people are affected either positively or negatively and then they carry that and transfer it along.

No...As much as I am looking forward to crossing over, I feel there must be a reason I am here...hell if I know what it is but I'll play along

Not my call but unbearable pain/terminal illness etc , they are like mercy killing of yourself. But depression or boredom?!?!

Does anyone know of any 'safe' suicide methods!?

I bet its illegal to answer that with any specifics.

I believe that the vast majority of people who commit suicide are not in a good state of mind to make such drastic decisions. So if you are thinking of suicide, please realize that most likely you brain is playing chemical tricks on you. Like making major life decisions when you are drunk. Not a good idea.

No.

People with terminal illnesses, who know they will simply descend into pain and then die anyway.

No.

(ok, so I'm on a 'downer' but what the heck!)

Yeah, exactly what I was talking about above with altered states of mind. But it seems you are aware of that so thank goodness for that.

Look, please, if you ever really consider suicide because things look so bleak, drop everything. Leave. Move to another town. You can come stay at my place til you find a job. Seriously, I am dumb like that; I would take a stranger in my house to save hir life if I thought it would help.

If you truly have nothing to lose, what could you possibly lose by starting over? Surely, if you think death is the best alternative, it wouldn't hurt to try something completely different? And if that fails, well, why not try something else completely different? I mean, the worst that will happen is you will get old trying and die anyway...

I love people.

I mean, I hate people a lot of the time. Individuals who are jerks. But in general I love people. So you are loved by me, at least, even if we don't know each other. I hope you go on an upper soon...not a drug, just a better frame of mind.

Nico-Nico Friendo

"Resume"

(Dorothy Parker)

Razors pain you;

Rivers are damp;

Acids stain you;

And drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren't lawful;

Nooses give;

Gas smells awful;

You might as well live.

Something that should only be considered as an absolute last resort.

No, but was very seriously considering it when suffering from a bout of bad depression in the late '80s.

A valuable lesson learned from this episode was the ability to put things into perspective.

Yes: situations where there is an irreparable degredation in the quality of life, such as a terminal illness.

This is not something to ask at this point.

Why not ask for help and advice with whatever is causing your "downer"?

I'm willing to try and help and there's plenty of others here with a broad range of experiences to call upon.

Theres no such a fail-safe method

my thoughts on suicide is that people who do it love themselves the most

(or in some cases, their country)

Genetically_Dead

:lol: I think about suicide all the time, must be the anti-depressant I'm taking. I won't act on the thoughts though as I know I am already dead so to speak. When I discovered that I could not have my own bio-logical babies that was a death for me. Day after day I just exist and wait for God to take the rest of me.

Mother's Day is coming and that is my day to take my sleeping pill stay in bed, skip church, and cry.

:lol: I think about suicide all the time, must be the anti-depressant I'm taking. I won't act on the thoughts though as I know I am already dead so to speak. When I discovered that I could not have my own bio-logical babies that was a death for me. Day after day I just exist and wait for God to take the rest of me.

Mother's Day is coming and that is my day to take my sleeping pill stay in bed, skip church, and cry.

Theres always the gift of adopting or fostering children

Genetically_Dead

Theres always the gift of adopting or fostering children

Adoption and fostering is second best and to me I'm better than that. If I can't have my own then I don't want any.

Thanks for the kindness but in the end my therapist said I would reject a child that wasn't my own bio-logical child and I have. I have two step-sons that think I'm Satan in drag.

Genetically_Dead
My condolences, don't you have any nephews/nieces or other relatives or other children that you can be a 'generous aunt' to?

Being a Auntie to someone elses kids is not the same as being a mother. I come from a large family but my sister is sterile due to the Endometriosis too. My eldest brother is mildly retarded and in a institution, my second eldest brother is an Epiletic and the drugs he takes caused him to be sterile. My third eldest brother married a woman that had to have a hysterectomy before they met, and my youngest brother is very slow but functioning and is a 33 year old virgin, living with my parents, and looking for the right girl. I think he will meet her at a senior citizens dance some day. So none of my siblings have offspring. :cry:

There have been three times in my life when I could have died (but obviously didn't) so every day still here is a bonus, although I haven't always seen it as such, there have been some very dark times. In the depths of post natal depression, I thought about suicide but the thought of my two sons growing up in the 'tender' care of their father stopped me - so maybe I wasn't that desperate.

My GP at the time was ncredibly sympathetic, I remember he told me that the antidepressants were OK in the short term, but that any 'cure' had to come from me, and that in time it would pass.

Suicide is always on my mind, it has been since I was old enough to understand what it was. I've never attempted it though. My physical comfort means more to me than my life does and the thought of botching a suicide attempt is a big factor in me being here today.

As for my thoughts on it, I think that if someone is in enough pain to desire their own death then they have a right, whether that be physical or emotional. It does hurt the ones who love them but, personally, when someone I know commits suicide I am always comforted by the fact that they are no longer in pain.

Islander9

What is overweening sadness or pain to one person is considered endurable by another...

I have been with or assisted from the sidelines, when some family & friends have been suicidally inclined (because of severe clinical depression.)I think both medication & empathetic help made a difference (they didnt kill themselves.)

One of my friends killed themself because they had terminal lung cancer & couldnt see the point of eking out a few nasty weeks more (I entirely agreed with them.)

I reserve the right to kill myself in certain circumstances (which very well could be thought endurable by other people, but not by me.)

Suicide - even when family & friends are prepared for it - always hurts (what more could I have done? What will the kids take from this? Bugger, we've got to clean up the mess) BUT I think it is every sane adult's right-

note the qualifiers...

and, especially and, as long as you do not EVER hurt any other living being when you kill yourself. Because you do not have that right-

may I enjoin anyone thinking about this subject to talk, to walk, to enjoy the sunshine? And all the good things of life? Kia ora tatou (which just means, Let it be life, for us all)-

- Never attempted.

- I hate using words such as "acceptable" or "unacceptable" to describe suicide. You're basically either praising it, or scolding those who have thought about it. I would rather use words like tragic, or "preventable, had someone been there to listen/help". People should not forget that suicide is a result of a mental problem, i.e deep depression or schitzophrenia, to name a couple.

- Safe and suicide, don't go together.

People seem to forget that the human body is extremely resilient to any attempts one may have in trying to terminate it. Hence why most who try to end their lives, usually just end up with brain damage, or severe maiming of their limbs.

If you've never been in a morgue, i'll just tell you this. Believe me, you don't want to see the real side of suicide. The side that nobody wants you to see. There's a reason why the government heavily shields society from suicide.

Whether it's the media, or government mind control, it's to keep you from attempting to take your life. I.e, why sleeping pills sold over the counter are far less potent, and sold in much smaller, individually wrapped, packages(Sleeping pills used to be the drug of choice, to take your life in the past). It's a psychological deterant(I could run you down a list of psychological deterants the government utilizes to keep people from killing themselves, but you get my drift).

Nowadays, you'll more than likely survive, and wake up in a hospital, to get your stomach pumped. If you're unlucky, you can add brain damage to that stomach pumping. Then, will be sent to a mental hospital. You do *not* want to end up in a mental hospital(While i've never attempted suicide, I happen to know many, who have).

But there's a meticulously government controlled reason, as to why you usually only hear about "Attempted suicide", as opposed to people who end up successful.

Another fact about suicide, is that the human body is engineered for survival. Which is why many people who end up going that route, often will show signs of having fought for their lives in their dying moments, only to realize it's too late.

Sadly, it far too often takes someone facing their own deaths, to realize how badly they wanted to live...

"Resume"

(Dorothy Parker)

Razors pain you;

Rivers are damp;

Acids stain you;

And drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren't lawful;

Nooses give;

Gas smells awful;

You might as well live.

Reading this thread, that's exactly the thing I was thinking of.

I've thought about suicide, mostly in theoretical terms, but I don't think I could ever do it. Life is so short as it is.

Brodertun

The one thing I can't stand is the people who say suicide is a selfish act - even when they have the facts right in front of their face that someone was in such pain they couldn't bear to live a moment longer, all the ones who left behind can think of is, "ME, ME, ME. He should have suffered nonstop just to keep me happy. why didn't he think of ME ME ME. He was so selfish to kill himself instead of thinking of ME." Its even sadder because in many cases it just takes one nonselfish person in the suicidal person's life to lessen their pain to the point where it is bearable - to the point where it isn't an intense struggle to get out of bed or to put food in your mouth. In fact I've yet to hear a single person who claims suicide is a selfish act say something along the lines of, "I wish I had tried harder, or even tried at all, to help him when I noticed how sad he was." But of course they wouldn't think that, they're too busy thinking of themselves rather than the person in pain.

I was about 8 the first time I attempted suicide. About 16 or 17 for my last active attempt but I was passively killing myself over despair when I was 18/19.

Its good thing I found a friend when I was 19, because then I had a foolproof method for killing myself, unlike my major overdoses and starvation that people just ignored all the signs off. I was going to jump off the observation tower at Niagara Falls. It wouldn't have been hard to do. scale about 7 feet of fence that I learned during my senior trip was easy to climb, and then just fall.

When I was in Spain last month I was looking and actually leaning ove huge cliffs with the only protction being a waist high fencel. When I got home I realized thqat was the first time I'd been in such a situation where at least the thoguht that it was a potential suicide spot never crossed mind

I thought about suicide briefly in '91 after a very dear friend died. He was like a brother to me. I got out of that by realizing that he would have not have appreciated me doing that. I had no real idea of how to committ suicide anyway, just the thought.

Yes! If I start to lose my wits when I'm elderly, that's it. I'm killing myself. I'm nothing without my mind.

Genetically_Dead

Yes! If I start to lose my wits when I'm elderly, that's it. I'm killing myself. I'm nothing without my mind.

:lol: A lot of sexual people would say the same if it was about losing their sex drive or if they became impotent.

Mmmmm...Suicide,terrible word,I think that I will never be able to comitt suicide because I am catholic and I have a lot of faith,I always in God trust,so some time ago, my doctor thought that I had terminal cancer,I thought that I would die in a few months,but my parents,my friends,my colleagues supported me in that hards moments,and I was depressed but I always have faith in God,at the end everything was all right and ,afortunately,the tests showed that I was O.K.,I didn't think in suicide as solution,but perhaps it is due to my religion.I wish that all you have hope in the future,life can be hard,but we need to go on. :roll:

I've thought about it though I generally have no desire to go on with it than anything more than thinking about it. I have mentioned this before but I have a chronic (potentially terminal, but isn't life terminal?) illness though it rarely causes pain but it's rarely the disease that I seek to end. I think that my thoughts of suicide have more to do with preempting future loneliness. I am more afraid of being alone than just about anything else. I am fabulous at being alone but I desire interaction and affection. I suppose I don't do it because I have a lot invested (literally dollars) that would be lost if I were to commit suicide. I know that my life is potentially shortened and so I've arranged my finances to make sure that my life is not only a benefit (non-financially) while I'm alive but that I might have a lasting effect on organizations, etc. Truthfully, I'm worth significantly more dead than alive but I'd have to die in a normal, non-suicidal way and that's what keeps me alive.

Ok, I'm not actually suicidal, and I do have friends that have commited suicide.

I know what that feels like, unfortunately - terribly sad.

He introduced me to The Fields of the Nephelim and every time I hear that band it makes me think of him.

It is sad. It is sad to think that life is not worth living. It is sad the loved ones left behind. It creates a huge whole in the heart that can never be completely fixed.

Several times from the ages of 12 to 22. Don't know if I would call them attempts as they were not successful. Things like taking too many pills, drinking too much, sitting on the train tracks waiting for the train, sitting in the garage while the car ran, cutting my skin, standing on the edge getting the courage to jump....etc

Possibily termanial illness. :? But just unplug me and see what happens.

Don't quite understand the question :?

(ok, so I'm on a 'downer' but what the heck!)

I went into a bad depression after a friend was murdered when I was 12. One of my best friend's Mother killed her self later in my life. Seeing the devastation that caused my friend I know I will never be killing myself on purpose. Since I realized that I would be killing myself and got tired of living in my dark fucked up world I found help. I should have done it years ago. Probably when I was 12.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had several suicide attempts including one this year. I have also self body modifed (cut) in the past.I also believe that it is chemicals in our brians that make us think that this is a good idea. If you are on anti depressants and you are having these thoughts tell your Doctor- you are on the wrong meds. Suicide devastes everyone left in it's wake. My (at the time)stepson's friend killed himself because he thought he didn't have any friends. 500 crying teenagers showed up for the funeral.

Suicide devastes everyone left in it's wake.

Yes, that's very true. Suicide is a catastrophe for friends and relatives, and it can also cause problems for people, who have participated in the same work or study projects as the person who committed suicide.

A fellow student of mine killed himself in the early nineties. He had a chronical condition (type I diabetes), and problems with his studies and family. The saddest thing is, that most of his problems would have been solved within a few years. For example, there would be better treatments for diabetes, and also better medicines against depression.

Summa summarum: it is impossible to know, if your situation *really* is hopeless.

My (at the time)stepson's friend killed himself because he thought he didn't have any friends. 500 crying teenagers showed up for the funeral.

Sounds so familiar :(

- Safe and suicide, don't go together.

People seem to forget that the human body is extremely resilient to any attempts one may have in trying to terminate it. Hence why most who try to end their lives, usually just end up with brain damage, or severe maiming of their limbs.

My thoughts exactly. :(

• 2 months later...

From everything I've read about life "on the other side", suicide does not remove the underlying problem which led to it in the first place. Whatever issues you are having, you carry them with you and must continue to deal with them on the spiritual side. Only thing is that it takes longer. Every soul that has been able to communicate from the other side makes it very clear that they regret their actions and the grief it caused others.

Archived