*huge grin*

aury

i just started reading this book called "carrie pilby", & i'm only a couple of pages in when i see the word "asexual" (in the HUMAN sense, might i add) being used at least 3 times in one paragraph. i started punching the air while celebrating quietly so i wouldn't wake anybody up.

check it:

"this world isn't one i understand completely, & it doesn't understand me completely, either. people think i'm odd for a nineteen year old girl - or woman, if you're technical - that i neither act excessively young nor excessively "girlish." in truth, i feel asexual a lot of the time, like a walking brain w/ glasses & long dark hair & mouth in good working order. if we were to talk about sex as in sex, as opposed to gender - as everyone seems to want to these days - i would say that my mind's not on sex that much, & i was never boy-crazy when i was younger. which makes me different from just about everyone. i did have crushes on two of my professors in college, one of which actually turned into something, but that's a story for later on. that whole saga only confused me in the end. so much of the world is sex-obsessed that it takes someone practically asexual to realize just how extreme & pervasive it is. it's the main motivator of people's activities, the pith of their jokes & the driving force behind their art, & if you don't have the same level of drive, you almost question whether you should exist. if it's sex that makes the world go around, should the world stop for those who are asexual?"
"if it's sex that makes the world go around, should the world stop for those who are asexual?"

The correct response being, "Why, yes, of course."

"Practically asexual"? How about...completely asexual hehe. What's the book about otherwise, Aury? Is it one of those young-woman-finds-herself novels?

more or less. i remain leery of it, though, because you know that if a character admits something like that in the beginning of a book, then...

damned predictable literature... :?

Well, it's progress of a sort. I mean, then very very few times I've run across characters which might be called asexual, they've been portrayed as either evil (as in "Geek Love") or pathetic creatures (as in "Son of the Circus.")

more or less. i remain leery of it, though, because you know that if a character admits something like that in the beginning of a book, then...

damned predictable literature... :?

D'oh! No! Will she realize the error of her ways and find true love? It only took the right man to 'open her heart'? ::vomits::

VivreEstEsperer

That's awesome, aury!

Tell us how the book ends up and if she doesn't end up becoming sexual by the end of it I think I would be quite interested in reading it...

Kate

D'oh! No! Will she realize the error of her ways and find true love? It only took the right man to 'open her heart'? ::vomits::

God, i hope not. :shock: :?

gorax: i wish. :lol:

kate: can do. :wink:

notice how i keep finding all the good excerpts in the beginning of this book?

"Everyone assumes that if you think the world is sex-obsessed, you must not have had sex. As if sex is so all-consuming that once you have it, you can completely justify the fact that it's scrolling through everyone's brain twenty-four hours a day. Plus, people think that, in general, if you express perfectly logical criticisms of the way society works, it means you're 'uptight' & 'need to get laid.' As if sex is a cure for everything."
As if sex is a cure for everything."

Ha. STDS AREN'T CURES FOR REALITY. Stupid sexuals.

*crosses fingers hoping the character will stay asexual* :D

also, keep them crossed in hopes that i find the book. the bloody thing has disappeared. :?

also, keep them crossed in hopes that i find the book. the bloody thing has disappeared. :?

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Must find! Must find! :shock: *tries to help aury find it*

:D Hehehehe, just got a little excited there. I hate it when I lose valuable stuff.

By Caren Lissner. I looked it up on Amazon, bwahahaha! According to those reviews, I think she's going to end up "viewing the world in a new light." Yay, sex is redeemed! :roll:

that's not promised, though...

found it. it was in my bathroom drawer. :roll: how it ended up there, i'll never know. course, if i find it in there again, & it has an unfavorable ending, i'll know the reason it was in there after i wipe my ass w/ it.

course, don't take that last part literally.

Archived