Asexual related book (not boston marriages)

VivreEstEsperer

VivreEstEsperer

<font size=2.5>

I just realized a really good book for people here to possibly read.

It's called "Man Made: A Memoir of My Body" by Ken Baker.

Basically, he has a brain tumor that is secreting massive amounts of female hormones into him, which he has no idea about, so he grows up wondering why he doesn't feel the same way about women as sexual objects and other "manly things" as his peers does.

He does have *some* romantic or sexual attraction of some sort I believe, but nearly to the extent of his peers. I forget the details. He has more feminine qualities like than male and doesn't physically develop and wonders what's wrong with him.

It's more an excellent commentary on the social construction of gender than on an asexuality, but it does bring up an interesting point which spurred my other post in General Asexual Rantings:

If by taking a medicine to supress the amount of female hormones in his bloodstream (which he did) could all of a sudden make him horny and cause him to be wild about girls all of a sudden, a "late onset puberty" as the author termed it, which did happen to him,

is our asexuality just a matter of regulating the right amount of hormones in our body? Can it be changed?

Something to think about..read the book if you get a chance-

Kate

Archived