Media

nemesis

I had a rather random thought and I'd like to see if you also find it to be true.

I'm a media arts major and thus have been told all about how people are manipulated into buying things. However, I find that ads usually aren't all that effective on me. It occurs to me that this is perhaps because "sex sells". As that is the main avenue which companies try to sell their products people who barely note that there is a "hot" guy or girl drinking that soda aren't too likely to buy anything if that's all they've got to tempt them with.

Hmm... possibly that's why advertisements aren't effective on me.

Curious.

Hehe, so we're anti-corporate-evil now? I can see a part of that, only in that we're sort of not in theri targeted demographic for some stuff (video games I'm still all over.) The relevant side, for me, is that corporations push this entire "sex-is-important" idea in order to use it to sell stuff. So every time that sex sells sex is also being sold (to make no sense whatsoever.) Corporations, by drawing a line between their product and sex, are making sex a bigger, more important thing and therefore making the world less tolerable for asexuals.

Eta Carinae

On the other hand, there's the possibility that advertisements just aren't that effective anyway beyond a certain point. Really, how many times are you filled with the urge to buy something even after seeing an ad that doesn't contain references to sex? I know that ads -- sexual or not -- don't make me want to buy their product unless I'm already in the market for a product of that type anyway.

I agree with AVENguy about advertisements being one of the reasons that sex is seen as so important, though.

I also agree with AVENguy. Actually, most people think that ads don't work on them, they're working on someone though or corporations wouldn't spend billions of dollars creating them.

Archived