thylacine

Yah know if yah go to the bottom of the "Forum Index" page it says how many members there are...

Do yah realize there are almost 10,000 people?

And that's only the ones who have heard of AVEN and have access to a computer (I realize that today we just expect everyone to have a computer, but not everyone has a computer... Some people can't afford one, or maybe they live in New Guinea...)

So what I am trying to say is... there are a LOT OF ASEXUAL PEOPLE OUT THERE!!!

Ain't it cool?

actually i beleive DJ said about 6 months ago that we had over 26,000 members when you counted the foreign language avens. I figure only about 1,000 of those would be people like myself who are registered in multiple aven's

The Evil Cashew

its a shame there are no way to know how mnay are actually active members (including lurkers who check in often)

~Cashew

its a shame there are no way to know how mnay are actually active members (including lurkers who check in often)

~Cashew

I have often wondered about that. Now that we can search by number of posts, try going lowest post numbers to highest. It is kind of depressing to see how many pages of 0's there are, followed by pages of 1's...People who have never posted, or posted once then disappeared...

But I guess I am happy that at least that many people know AVEN exists and were interested enough to at least register.

Well, as of right now, there are 9928 registered. 8143 or them have 10 or fewer posts. 5882 have 1 or 0 posts. Which leaves only 1785 that have ever been active enough to post more than 10 times.

The Evil Cashew

ah

not many

but htat doesnt represent lurkers. which still count as members in my opinion

~Cashew

Just because they have less than 10 posts and just because they've never posted does not mean that they're not still asexual... Some people just aren't the forum type. So, really, AVEN has had 10,000 asexuals visit the site, regardless of how many times they've posted.

The number is probably a little less, what with our sexual allies who have joined... But still!

epiphanystars

At least the message is getting out there. Besides new people like me are joining everyday. Soon their may be way more active members.

The wonderful thing about the internet is that it is an excellent way for people around the world to meet up, and discuss relevant topics. It is without borders. Unfortunately it is also very hard for many people to access and its really only available in the developped nations. It would be interesting to see how many people around the world are infact asexual.

I have always felt that the number of registered members does accurately represent the number of people who identified with the concept enough (for whatever reason) to join. No, that doesn't mean that all of them are asexual -- many might just be curious, or allies -- but it does mean that something in the concept appealed to them, or spoke to them.

As far as the pages and pages and pages of 0 posts are concerned, I have always thought that it was enough for these people to know that they weren't alone. They dropped by, were counted and then got on with their actual lives, as opposed to starting a virtual one around here. Once again, that might not apply to all of them, but I like to think that it applies to many of them. A sizable percentage, anyway. . . .

In any case, the word is getting out: by speaking out and letting people know that we are not alone, they are learning that they are not alone, either. And that is a good, good feeling. . . .

Well, I didn't mean to be a party pooper. Just commenting on how many active members there were, and wishing more people stuck around. but just the fact that almost 10,000 have seen and registered is cool. Some are double registered, some like Cash said are spammers or bots or whatever, but most are people who sexual or asexual found something on the site that resonated with them, if only for one internet session.

So some more thoughts. On AVEN's google analytics site you can see that from the 5th of Jan to the 11th of Jan, 40% of people who visit AVEN took a direct link - people like you and me who have AVEN as a favorite if not a homepage. About 30% came from yahoo or google - new users, or users who found the site once but don't visit frequently enough to remember the url so they had to re-search for it (Of the top 5 search terms that bring this page, #2 AND #4 ARE AVEN AND aven, suggesting they already had an idea where to look). Looks like about 2% come straight from Montel's website, which is cool, though this went down 67% as the week progressed. about 1% get here from wikipedia.

86% of the individual visitors to AVEN (counting people like myself only once no matter how many times a week I visit) are new. Counting frequent visitors each time they visit, 44% of the people surfing the site are new. Of about 11,000 visitors this week, 5,225 visited only once.

In actual numbers, that averages out to 11,000 people checking out this site every day. Again, I don't know how that is counted because I visit this site about ten times a day, even if I don't stay for more than a second as my internet kicks up.

There is a "user-defined" visit that apparently has not been set by whoever keeps track of AVEN google analytics. I think this could be set to see how many repeat visitors are not registered - ie, to count lurkers. But it is not set and our peeps work hard enough without worrying about that.

There is also a page that shows page views per visit, which is considered a measure of "quality" of the visitor. In other words, if someone clicks on AVEN, takes one look, and goes somewhere else, they are not considered "quality" (google analytics is a marketing tool, after all). But if someone views a number of pages during a visit, they are considered quality. Of websites that have a specific link to AVEN (so not counting google or yahoo searches), Montel is tops this week, giving us the most new visits and the 5th (out of 10 listed) highest "quality" of visitors.

Well, hope you all found this interesting but now I gotta run!

Lady Heartilly

I'd post more, but the forum got so crazy in the past year or so and now I can't keep up with it anymore. :?

Has anyone else noticed that if you look at the profile of the newest registered member, the number is actually 14,582 (as of right this minute, anyway)?

Does that mean we've had close to 5,000 deleted spammers? :o

Now that would be an achievement.

*goes to get rid of a few more*

epiphanystars

It would be interesting to get stats on how fast Aven has been growing since it inception. Are the number of members increasing every year/month or does it fluxuate?

hey look at that.. me too... and yeah that is what it would mean mac :wink:

hey look at that.. me too... and yeah that is what it would mean mac :wink:

Great minds think alike :D

Has anyone else noticed that if you look at the profile of the newest registered member, the number is actually 14,582 (as of right this minute, anyway)?

Does that mean we've had close to 5,000 deleted spammers? :o

Yep!

well when some days i know i was deleated 50 a day...

it adds up quickly..

~Cashew

What she said.

*continues fighting in The War of the Spambots*

Highly unamusing trolls too.

Well, I'm not counting trolls.

Hey! Countdown! Only 5 more people to go before we hit 10,000!!!!

Count with me, people:

FIVE. . .

Hey! Countdown! Only 5 more people to go before we hit 10,000!!!!

Count with me, people:

FIVE. . .

More than that...

Just emptied the spambot basket.

well technically then dont we have like 5000 more to go?

~Cashew

Not really. We have had 14713 members join, but nearly a third have been deleted because they were spambots, leaving 9983 registered users.

Archived