Asexuals And Previously Existing Children

Luisa

The following was copied over from a thread where adoption and artificial insemination was discussed. It's specifically for asexuals who know that they want children in their future.

----------------------------------

I wonder how people feel about being with people who already have children?

I would imagine that, like myself, there are asexual people who have been married. Probably, (unlike myself,) many of them have children, in spite of the fact that they are asexual.

(There have been posts here before about asexual people who have sex to please their partners. If they are going through the work of sex, and desire children, they may as well take the good with the bad! "Well, I had to have sex, but at least I get kids out of it." )

So...speak up, gang! Do those of you who want kids think you would be happy with a partner who already has kids who are (half) theirs?

I won't care, I'm gone half the time anyway :D

But seriusly, I'm all for adoption. Why try to add to the worlds overpopulatinao when there are plenty of children out there that need homes. Besides, I'd love to have a kid to take to the car shows and the race track, just like my dad and me. Plus with a little Orpheus around, I have an excuess for being and adult and still playing with G.I. Joes :D

Yes, but Orpheus and everyone...

Forget adoption for a minute, and also the other ways of asexuals having children, and a larger family. (Although you are right...having kids of your own is a great excuse to act like a kid! You HAVE to get that happy meal, right? Your kid wants the toy! )

What I want to know is:

How do people feel about getting together with asexual people who ~already~ have children, assuming that you are an asexual person who wants to have little rugrats hanging around to mess up the house and break the good china?

Is this as good as adoption?

Would you still want to have your own biological children? (And YES, this is easier for the men, HARDEE HAR HAR! )

Is it the ~same~ as if you had adopted some kids, AND had some biological kids?

Look into my eyes, everyone, and tell me how you feel.................

;)

considering how much time I've devoted to raising somonelse's kid, it wouldn't bother me if they already had one or two, or even 12, but thats getting kind of funny. As for everythingelse, I really don't know. I mean, If I was married and my wife wanted to have a biological child, I guess I'd go for it. I mean if that's what she really really wants, then yes, why not? But otherwise I would never even think of having sex with somone.

I guess I'm leaving it up to the woman since she's the one who has to go through the preganency. I don't think I could ever do that. Still remember when my sis was pregnante...

I think I'd rather not. I'm just guessing here, but that likely means there is at least one other party that's interested in the child. That's one too many un-chosen voices trying to meddle in my life. If there was no mother around (nor likely to turn up), then I guess it might be alright. Maybe.

when i was 17, i met a guy that i later found out was divorced w/ a one year old son. this guy was around 22 at the time. the idea of being w/ a guy who has a child creeps the hell out of me, maybe because i feel like he's used goods or because children bother the living hell out of me.

ironically, i'm for adoption, since i believe that the world is overpopulated enough & children are needlessly suffering in friggin orphanages (my newly adopted 2-year old cousin brenda is a prime example). i'm still weighing over whether or not i want to adopt, since i'm going through enough w/ my nieces & nephews as it is. besides, i've never changed a diaper, & i don't intend to!!! & if i do, i'll have to dress up like the friggin hazmat team just to change one stupid pamper.

as for the whole IVF thing, it IS a bigger ordeal for the women. my sister-in-law's going to go through the procedure, & she has to take hormone shots & do all that other crap that's required. meanwhile, all my brother has to do is flog himself into a dixie cup.

sorry if i came across as vulgar.

In theory, I shouldn't have any problems whatsoever raising someone else's kid - but realistically it might depend on the kid's attitude to me. Based on some of the relationships that I've seen between step-children and step-parents (and from what I've seen on TV), a lot of people seem to have big problems being accepted by their step-children.

At the end of the day I guess I wouldn't go out of my way to choose a partner who already has children but at the same time it wouldn't be a major obstacle either (providing the child isn't too much of a monster).

Being a man I can see lots of advantages with IVF.

• 2 weeks later...
, i've never changed a diaper, & i don't intend to!!!

Diapers kinda scare me too.

At least that's one advantage with adoption: If you adopt an older child (who are generally overlooked because most people want to start off with an infant), you can skip the diapers phase entirely. :)

To answer the original topic: I would be happy to try dating someone who has children from a prior relationship. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Although, like George said, I would be worried about the stepchild resenting me.

Archived