what counts more-sexuality, or any orientation?

my constant questions are sort of scatter-brained and written quickly so i don't forget--i hope they make sense?

what do you think 'counts', for lack of a better word, more- sexuality, or any kind of orientation?

some people think of 'gay' of any kind of same-sex orientation, and straight as any kind opposite-sex orientation

even if you're not heterosexual, you're 'straight'

some people seem to think this, that dan savage guy seemed to be among them....

using this method the only people who escape 'straight', 'gay', or 'bi', are the thoroughly 'a', with no emotional attraction or anything else

they think any kind of orientation base in any way, is more important than actual sexuality when it comes to prime labelling...

i think i disagree, and i think i don't really care all that much anyway, as lacking sexual attraction is still a unique sub-group, and all this labelling gets alittle silly, but its just something i was thinking about

I'm confused...How does sexuality differ from orientation?

Cate

I'd suppose that the difference is categorical. The second definition on Dictionary.com defines 'sexuality': "Concern with or interest in sexual activity." Amongst the many definitions for 'orientation' is this one: "6: Sexual orientation."

Taking these definitions as read, I'd say that 'orientation' is a subset of the category 'sexuality.' So, if orientation is a description within the broader category of sexuality, then it would seem to follow that 'asexuality' belongs in the set of 'sexuality', not the subset of 'orientation' and when the heck did I start get so pendantic about this sort of thing? I'm starting to sound like one of my old philosophy profs. :shock:

Ah, so, lemme see if I got this right:

You're wondering wheter one's degree of sexual feelings is taken more into account by society when it comes down to labelling, or whether one's gender orientation (which may not be of a sexual nature) is considered of greater importance.

If I'm following correctly (and please let me know if I wasn't) then I'd have to say one's gender orientation. That I'm asexual wouldn't matter to most people if they saw me in a relationship with another woman - I'd probably still get slapped with the label of lesbian.

"Lesbian," "gay," "bi," and "straight" all have sexual connotations, but people would still get those labels depending on who they want to be with, because the world likes to think that significant others are banging buddies.

I'm confused...How does sexuality differ from orientation?
Orientation is part of sexuality, but not all of it. I tend to see sexuality as a combo of the following:

Sex (male/female)

Gender (masculine/feminine)

Orientation (hetero/bi/homo)

Attraction Level (hypersexual/hyposexual/asexual)

Like JimDandy said, I also tend not to think of asexuality as an *orientation* per se but it still is a very important part of one's sexuality. The problem arrises is the connotations and linked meanings.

guardianoftheblind

Perhaps terms like heteroasexual, biasexual, homohyposexual, etc would be a bit more encompassing.

But again, if you break it down enough you'll probably get as many terms as there are people in the world.

if you break it down enough you'll probably get as many terms as there are people in the world.
yep... no one really is identical to anyone else....

you can call asexuality an orientation, I just wouldn't, even with type D....

I think when I look at type D asexuality and how I personally view sexuality as a whole, definitions cause the distinctions. I still don't think I would consider it an *orientation*, but I am mostly unclear as to whether orention is supposed to be linked to gender or sex, or maybe both to some extent.... I also don't view all attration as being sexual, you can be attracted to others by their personalities, and the attraction have nothing to do with sex... (for example I'm pretty sure everyone has some people they can't stand more than others...)

If orientation includes gender based attration, then someone could be attracted to a masculine or feminine or both gender based personality...but the attraction could still be non-sexual. If the attration (non-sexual) is not based on gender at all, then the person could be attrated to people of either gender. So orientation wouldn't have to be *sexual* in nature....

I also tend to look at bisexual as including (definitely not limited to) not liking one sex/gender more than another, but it doesn't define how much one is attracted in the first place. If a type D isn't attracted to anyone period, then they don't like men more than they like women (they don't like either) so I would see them as bi...

If a type D isn't attracted to anyone period, then they don't like men more than they like women (they don't like either) so I would see them as bi...

That's an interesting idea, Josh. With regards to orientation, if a 'type D' were to be regarded as bi-asexual, it would seem 'asexuality' is the mirror image of 'sexuality.'

jayann2002/julie (btw, when certain peoples first names start to become known , how do they want to be reffered to then?) got it right, basically.

do you think most or all of society looks at it that way? Do you wish they wouldn't?

i suppose another way to have worded this would have been what are the definitions of 'gay' 'straight', and 'bi' (bi minus the sexual suffix)

if gay and straight are synonyms for homosexual, and heterosexual

then no one here would get them, but if they just mean any attraction/orientation towards/aesthetic appreciation of..then many here would still probably be called straight/gay/bi by others.

i'm gonna say about 1/4 of us are type d or hovering near type d..or the type that has an undirected sexuality, but no attraction(i forget what type that is){EDIT:The type i was thinking of was type A}(sometimes i find the a/b/c/d thing a little incomplete....but that's another post)

i'm just pulling that statistic from no-where, it's probably wrong, but let's just say 1/4, that means 'society' might deny the label asexual for up to 3/4 of us..........well they wouldn't deny them the label, but they would deny it as a 'primary' label....?

Sacredprofane: Please call me Julie. :)

Glad to see I was following correctly. It's something I'm still giving a lot of thought to.

excalibur_and_merlin

Hey, i was directed to this site, i am glad that i was. I find what you guys say very thought provoking. I am like most of you i assume. I dont look for the sexual aspects of the relationship i desire the emotion. But that is interesting in a way because it isnt all the physical that i hate, i love kissing, hugging, and cuddling but sex never has interested or provoked me. I tend to label myself bi because the physical equipment isnt what is important to me it is the emotion and the personality. Well, i really look forward to reading what you guys write and i find you discussions very intellectual and that is hard to find. sorry about the spellin, i might not seem educated but just not a grammar major :)

Hey excalibur, Welcome to AVEN :D I hope you continue to find AVEN thought provoking/interesting and contribute to it as well :) *nudges excalibur to the 'Welcome Area' thread*

excalibur_and_merlin

thanks, i am sure i will. I really enjoy discussing things that are thought provoking, open-minded oriented, and maturely discussed. I will really enjoy being able to talk and read what you guys/gals think :D

Welcome EaM. *is too lazy to type out your whole name* :) Why doncha make an introductory thread on the Welcome Area forum so's all us old timers can give you a proper welcome? :D

Glad you found us, anyway. Hope you enjoy your stay.