Scrubs

LostPenguin

Anyone here watch 'Scrubs' on NBC? The latest episode referred to asexuals, and though it wasn't completely precise, I think it might've referred to our type of asexual, not the asexually-reproducing or without-sexual-organs definitions.

One of the main characters, Carla, was prepping to give birth, and her husband walked in with a camcorder and announced that he'd set it up so that the birth of the kid would be broadcast to her sisters in another area over the internet, and that all he had to do was wait for the cameraman to get here. She freaked over the concept of a cameraMAN doing this, and said that unless the guy was totally asexual, she didn't want him filming it. In walks the cameraman, she recognizes him and says OK, insert comedic punchline here, but it peaked my interest, at least...

I saw that Scrubs was on when I was browsing channels this Sunday and actually stopped to watch JUST to hear that line :D I'm not sure what made me think it would be the right episode, but it was and it felt great to hear them say that. I love hearing casual mentions like that because it confirms that asexuality is something that plenty of people know about.

I saw that. And what's more, although it was in a way the punchline of a joke, it wasn't disrespectful to asexuality an any way!

Wheee! :cake: for all of us!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I saw that. :D It's cool, partly because Scrubs is one of my favorite shows, and I think it's interesting that it's become well known enough to be mentioned, even in passing, on a popular show like that.

• 1 month later...

I was watching Scrubs reruns today, and I think Jordan might be asexual, in an odd, promiscuous kind of way. She had expressed that she enjoyed sex, but she also said to Elliot, "You don't have sex with people you care about! Sex is for making babies and revenge!" :lol: (I love her)

I was watching Scrubs reruns today, and I think Jordan might be asexual, in an odd, promiscuous kind of way. She had expressed that she enjoyed sex, but she also said to Elliot, "You don't have sex with people you care about! Sex is for making babies and revenge!" :lol: (I love her)

Haha, I love Jordan too, but I don't think she's asexual.

Yeah, it would definitely be a stretch, and like I said, she wouldn't exactly be a typical asexual, but it's funny to think about.

• 11 months later...

i was watching a rerun (not right wrod probably. it was a new episode on paramount comedy which is the uk channel which shows it but it had already been on rte 2 which is the irish channel that shows it) of that carla giving birth episode last night

was very good

AS a big scrubs fan i doubt TED is asexual, he's just a bit of a loser.

He did used to be married " i know this doesn't rule him out"

but more relevantly theres an episode when he has sex with a patient

and an episode where he devises to spend lots of time with an "attractive" new nurse.

" i asked you out for coffee 15 times but who's the creepy loser now!"

Ted is awesome :D

AS a big scrubs fan i doubt TED is asexual, he's just a bit of a loser.

He did used to be married " i know this doesn't rule him out"

but more relevantly theres an episode when he has sex with a patient

and an episode where he devises to spend lots of time with an "attractive" new nurse.

" i asked you out for coffee 15 times but who's the creepy loser now!"

Ted is awesome :D

and he shares a bed with a woman

albeit that woman is his mother

• 1 year later...
Oh yeah, I saw that. And, it was Ted, who is basically a nerd, but like you said, at least they used it right!

sadly in the latest episode shown in ireland (3 minutes ago) , Ted loses his virginity to the ukulele girl.

*is sad*

oo, i do like scrubs .. and ted

ted and todd thats all i need .. strangely the characters that probably have the least sex on that show, except maybe kelso .. and the janitor

Violet_Loves_Iliona

ted and todd thats all i need .. strangely the characters that probably have the least sex on that show, except maybe kelso .. and the janitor

That's great visibility - but it's actually not the first time Scrubs has mentioned asexuality in passing. I watched a re-run late at night about two weeks ago (on Australian tv), and the Janitor was toying with Turk this time, and he played "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off" by Jermaine very loud (it was part of a little skit he was doing where he was taunting Turk about the relationship between Turk & JD)... and he referred to "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off" as Jermaine Stewart's classic anthem to platonic love.

Plus, the relationship between JD and Turk is possibly the most asexual thing I've ever seen on television - a true portrayal of a platonic romance in every single show, self-referential and played up every single time! :cake: :cake: :cake:

janitor maybe but dr. kelso? i recall from previous episodes, he has a thing for asian massages or i think.

he also in one episode (this was after elliott had left the hospital and got a job on a prestigous study at another hospital but he rpartner in the study fixed the problem and she was fired and so was working at a free clinic and at the free clinic dr. kelso was a patient as obviously) he got an std from cheating on his wife (indeed elliott's colleague in the free hospital described this next patient as a real low life who got an std after cheating on his wife) andf that was how elliott got back to working in sacred heart

really i have too much free time

Janitor probblay isn't, just creepy. Although you don't see him and Lady doing much. And Kelso? No way.

I don't like scrubs in terms of that. There's one episode where a person says "Sex gives you vitality! I couldn't imagine life without it" which is, like, yeah- that's fine, but I can't imagine life wit it. Then the 30 year old who's only issue with dying is that she doesn't want to die a virgin. There are a couple episodes I can't watch because they're along that thread.

silentdreamer

I love Scrubs, but I haven't seen the episodes with the asexual mentions in them. Blah! I think it's awesome that it's even mentioned because fans of the show might be inclined to look it up if they dont know what it means. When I hear a joke or statement made that I dont understand on a show I like, I go google it. Ted may not be asexual, but just calling him one is enough to get people curious.

Also, I probably identify with Ted a little too much. He's the local sad sack, bad stuff keeps happening to him, people treat him badly, and he's always so mopey. He doesn't even recognize a compliment when it's given to him. He's the extreme version of me when it comes to that. Poor Ted. Still funny though :lol:

Archived