"Just Friends"- research paper

AVENguy

After a semester of greulling work I'm now on draft II, thought it was time to let the good people here have a look.

Humbly I present to you..

Just Friends: The Social Distinction Between Sexual and Nonsexual Relationships

http://www.asexuality.org/lit/justfriends2.doc

Suggestions welcome...

2014 Edit - The file can be found here.

Now I'm all jealous -- I never got to use the term 'fuckbuddy' in an academic essay (even in a footnote)! I've owed you some feedback on this for quite a long time, actually.

I've tried out the basics of this theory on everyone (OK, both people) with whom the topic has come up, and it boils down amazingly well - signal trait that you're on to something. My favorite part is the mutability of social sanction - the idea that the same approval American society used to attach to (90% romanceless) marriages has shifted wholesale to sexual relationships. Both filled a need, and the old Puritan need for more farmhands was perfectly practical, but the modern-day definition of 'need' is a lot more diffuse and tough to nail down.

I think we argued a bit before on the whole capitalist/economics thing. Is today's manufactured demand for sex the same thing or comparable to the very real issues of survival (shortage of labor, child mortality) that made socially-approved marriage so important 300 years ago? I need to go over it a few more times before I'm convinced that linking the two with a supply-and-demand argument isn't somehow begging the question.

Otherwise, masterful as always - an excellent next step in the literature!

• 2 weeks later...
orderinchaos

I read it... great piece of writing! I am suitably impressed, and I hope when you finish it it gets published so it can get a wider (academic) audience.

I take it this is for honours or something like that?

• 5 years later...
After a semester of greulling work I'm now on draft II, thought it was time to let the good people here have a look.

Suggestions welcome...

I don't suppose anyone could put a new link to this...

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions welcome...

I don't suppose anyone could put a new link to this...

I'd love to read to...

• 2 weeks later...
Omnes et Nihil

Suggestions welcome...

I would love to read that-- the link still does not appear to be working.

I actually did my master's thesis on a similar topic, and I am in the process of preparing it for publication right now. (I presented some of the work in conference already-- stuff with data on friend-pairs.

I actually did my master's thesis on a similar topic, and I am in the process of preparing it for publication right now. (I presented some of the work in conference already-- stuff with data on friend-pairs.

I would really be interested in reading this. And GOOD LUCK on getting it published! :cake: Let us all know when you're the next Foucault, ok? ;)

Archived