Asexual Characters

ShiroTora

Go back and watch the Ninth Doctor... as much as Tennant is SO UNBELIEVABLY better than Eccleston, it has some good episodes :D Like... go watch "Dalek," which made me cry (which is strange :shock: )

Oh, good, I'm not the only one ... :wink:

Sirius Black, in Harry Potter! I'm sure he's not only asexual, but aromantic, too. I just realized like a second ago, he never got married, or even had girlfriends.

That's possible, but I like the theory that he was in love with Lupin. I think I remember finding a list of evidence for this ... For one, there's the "Snape's Worst Memory" scene which you mention. There's also a line in the Prisoner of Azkaban movie where Snape says to them, "Look at you two, arguing like a married couple ..."

Hey, I don't think anyone's mentioned Amélie, yet. She seems pretty asexual, doesn't she? (Unless I'm forgetting something... I haven't seen the film in a while.)

I've often wondered why Amélie is considered asexual - after all, the movie finishes with her sleeping with Nino Quincampoix(sp?).

Ah, Daria. I get compared to her quite a bit. She does seem the asexual type, I was really disappointed when she paired up with Tom.

Took me a while, but I finally found the scene in Babylon 5 that I was looking for. It's in the episode "The Summoning":

Marcus: Anyone special waiting for you back home?

Susan: No, not anymore. You?

Marcus [bashfully]: Someone. She doesn't know it yet.

Susan [smiles bigger]: That's a strange way to pursue a relationship.

Marcus: I suppose so. Ah --- I want this thing to go right. I want it to be special.

Susan: Oh. A romantic! I don't think I've felt that way since the first time!

Marcus: That's what I'm talking about.

[susan's eyes narrow, get wide, then get wider.]

Susan: You mean you don't --- you haven't ---

Marcus: Yes.

Susan [still flabbergasted]: You're a ------

Marcus: Exactly.

Susan: With anyone?

Marcus: Never met the right person before.

Susan [shakes her head]: Wow. I thought the First Ones were rare! Well, I hope she appreciates it.

Marcus: So do I.

Shadow girl

I say Obi-Wan Kenobi is on that spectrum

Sounds like a good call... Though he may be technically celebate rather than asexual. Aren't romantic relationships forbidden, if not frowned upon, for jedis?

Hallucigenia

Hpets, that's a cool quote, but I think it makes Marcus look more like the "saving himself" type than the asexual type.

Hey, I don't think anyone's mentioned Amélie, yet. She seems pretty asexual, doesn't she? (Unless I'm forgetting something... I haven't seen the film in a while.)

I've often wondered why Amélie is considered asexual - after all, the movie finishes with her sleeping with Nino Quincampoix(sp?).

Well, more in the beginning of the movie, they talk about her romantic life, and shows a quick scene where she's having sex with someone, and they're being all... 'vigorous' and stuff... and she's just lying there, like, "Ahh... okay... what now?"

But at the end... they sleep together? I thought they only did that kissing thing? (But it's been a while since I've seen it, so I might be a bit off)

Shadow girl

Sounds like a good call... Though he may be technically celebate rather than asexual. Aren't romantic relationships forbidden, if not frowned upon, for jedis?

He just seemed so against romance in Attack Of The Clones

Surprised no one mentioned this one: Willy Wonka. I haven't read the book in forever to remember that much but the Tim Burton movie version seems very clear.

(Given, it could be tied back to the childhood / daddy issues Tim added, but...)

- He hates physical contact, constantly shying up and being very awkward about touching people / being touch at all

- When Violet's mother flirts with him (on the way into the boat out of the chocolate room), he freezes up and looks fairly disgusted through the polite smile.

Plus the whole part where he never married in any of the versions and has no heir.

Surprised no one mentioned this one: Willy Wonka. I haven't read the book in forever to remember that much but the Tim Burton movie version seems very clear.

(Given, it could be tied back to the childhood / daddy issues Tim added, but...)

- He hates physical contact, constantly shying up and being very awkward about touching people / being touch at all

- When Violet's mother flirts with him (on the way into the boat out of the chocolate room), he freezes up and looks fairly disgusted through the polite smile.

Plus the whole part where he never married in any of the versions and has no heir.

A good point! Yeah, Wonka seems genuinely to be an aromantic asexual.

• 1 month later...
Rikusephirosu

I agree. That was highly disturbing. :? :? :? :oops: I knew there was something funny about Spongebob's nose! :oops:

• 4 months later...

Hm... I know this thread is sort of dead, but I'm a little surprised no one has brought this one up:

Adrian Monk.

I mean, sure, the guy was married, and was clearly madly in love with his wife. So he was romantic. But he hates being touched, and he has shown on several occasions that he does not enjoy looking at naked - or even partially naked - people of either sex. And check out this wonderful quote:

Natalie: I can't believe you freaked out like that. Human sexuality is a natural thing.

Monk: Well... we disagree about that.

AHHH!!! Thank you Eli for reminding me of Ruth... I almost forgot him! *must reread Pern Series*

And I know that if there are any other Dragonlance fans here I'm going probably start an arguement by saying this... But I'm leaning towards Raistlin Majere being asexual... and for the most part aromantic as well. He never showed that much interest in sex. He mentioned in a letter that he would never know the touch of a woman and that it was in part his choice. My beliefs in this were strenghtened after reading The Soulforged and Brothers in Arms he only showed interest in one girl... but was then turned off to the idea of sex when he saw Caramon (his twin) with her. There's also the arguement of him being with Crysanthia... but I think they were both just using each other... and the Raistlin/Dalamar pairing is just laughable.

All in all Raisltin's only love was/is Magic in all forms... and he had no time nor room in his heart for silly little romances. He even jokes about it in Dragons of the Summer Flame saying "Only I could have sex with a beautieful woman and not know about it" in response to the accusations that he has a daughter.

In the same series there's Tasselhof... but I'm not sure if he counts being a kender and all (propetual childlike race)... But he NEVER (as far as I'm aware) showed any romantic or sexual interest in... anyone.

• 1 month later...
Hm... I know this thread is sort of dead, but I'm a little surprised no one has brought this one up:

Adrian Monk.

I mean, sure, the guy was married, and was clearly madly in love with his wife. So he was romantic. But he hates being touched, and he has shown on several occasions that he does not enjoy looking at naked - or even partially naked - people of either sex. And check out this wonderful quote:

Natalie: I can't believe you freaked out like that. Human sexuality is a natural thing.

Monk: Well... we disagree about that.

Monk is my hero! I thought about the whole asexual thing with him, but I figured it wasn't so because his wife.

This is kind of a long shot, but has anyone seen the drama Yamada Tarou Monogatari? Because I think one of the main characters, Mimura Takuya, might be asexual...

Not exactly a chracter being asexual, but in Emmerdale tonight (and they're new characters and I don't see much of the prog these days but...

Son "Told you, I'm gay" (not sure he is but as I say, don't see much of it these days)

Father "Why can't you be asexual. Save on the wedding costs."

Oh, and of course! The star of my avatar here: The Tick! Absolutely completely asexual. If you want an asexual poster boy, he's the one.

How about American Maid?

She always deflects Die Fledermaus, but then he's a sleezebag.

She's such a strong character.

• 3 weeks later...

How about Light Yagami from Death Note? I don't think he's had any interest in sex or romance throughout the girls he had to pretend to date, or even when Misa throws herself at him. Then again, he could be just too preoccupied with plotting and killing people.

And L! That guy has got to be asexual. He also doesn't seem to have any sexual interest.

...Or those two could just be so wrapped up in exposing each other that they don't think about that sort of thing at all. Who knows. Still, an interesting theory, I think.

How about Mrs Doyle from Father Ted? In one episode she says to Ted,

"Oh it's a filthy, dirty business, sex. Can you imagine, Father. Your husband standing over you with his lad in his hand, wanting you to degrade yourself?!"

:D

I was just thinking one or two days ago that uncle Fester from the Addams family seems to be asexual (I'm particularly thinking of his portrayal in the 1990's Addam's Family Values).

Granted in the movie he does marry a black widow who is out to kill him for his money; however he only seems to go along with it because of thinking that is just what people are suppose to do. And several times it is mentioned how he looks up to Gomez and wants to be more like him.

Also...

Not sure if this part belongs here or not, but I wonder what people make of the relationship between Lestat, Louise; Louise, Claudia; Louise, Armand in Interview with the Vampire. I also wonder if Louise is perhaps asexual granted he was also married at one point and it COULD be construed that there is a sexual relationship between Louise and Claudia though he denies it when Armand refers to her as his lover and Louise says that she is his child.

How about Mrs Doyle from Father Ted? In one episode she says to Ted,

"Oh it's a filthy, dirty business, sex. Can you imagine, Father. Your husband standing over you with his lad in his hand, wanting you to degrade yourself?!"

:D

Haha, Father Ted. I don't know why I didn't think of Mrs Doyle.

How about Light Yagami from Death Note? I don't think he's had any interest in sex or romance throughout the girls he had to pretend to date, or even when Misa throws herself at him. Then again, he could be just too preoccupied with plotting and killing people.

And L! That guy has got to be asexual. He also doesn't seem to have any sexual interest.

...Or those two could just be so wrapped up in exposing each other that they don't think about that sort of thing at all. Who knows. Still, an interesting theory, I think.

I agree with you on both these two. It might be a hallmark of asexuality that you can even be distracted by nerfarious plots long enough to stop thinking about sex...

Kind of on that note, not that we'd particulairly want to be represented by him, I'm sure Hannibal Lecter is asexual.

• 4 weeks later...

There is also Tarma, from the Vows and Honour series by Mercedes Lackey. She choses to become asexual, to receive the blessing of her goddess and avenge her family.

I'd like to point out, with great annoyance, that in the original post Colin from Boy Meets Boy was mentioned as being asexual. Of course anyone who followed the comic will know that the writer obviously got bored with her original pairing, and ruined Colin by making him sexual with his best friend and now they have their own spin-off comic. Now, fair enough that he turned out to simply be anti-touching and unaffectionate to people he doesn't know well, but she's ruined asexuality for all her comic readers, just so she can cram a little extra boy-love into her pictures. I mean, really, every male character in her work HAS to be gay in some way. She made asexuality look like a passing phase. Gah.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to point out, with great annoyance, that in the original post Colin from Boy Meets Boy was mentioned as being asexual. Of course anyone who followed the comic will know that the writer obviously got bored with her original pairing, and ruined Colin by making him sexual with his best friend and now they have their own spin-off comic. Now, fair enough that he turned out to simply be anti-touching and unaffectionate to people he doesn't know well, but she's ruined asexuality for all her comic readers, just so she can cram a little extra boy-love into her pictures. I mean, really, every male character in her work HAS to be gay in some way. She made asexuality look like a passing phase. Gah.

I'm not quite certain she ever intended that Colin would be a true asexual. Considering the subject of the comic and it's spin off (Friendly Hostility) it seems more like she was going for the 'repressed homosexual' angle. He cited asexuality as more of a cover. He practically has a panic attack when he finally admits he's gay (after sleeping with Fox for how long?) *shrug*

Archived