• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mistah J

Mistah J

Mega Mitosis

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Yes... They existed... Nobody knew... I give to you - the FAMOUS LIFELONG VIRGINS OF HISTORY:
HISTORICAL FIGURES BELIEVED TO HAVE DIED VIRGINS 
VIRGINS AND NON-VIRGINS

:vis:

2014 Mod Edit: The first link doesn't seem to work anymore, but the content can be found here. For future reference:
link 1

Spoiler

link2

Spoiler

Edited by ithaca, 15 January 2014 - 05:10 PM.

The Joker and Harley Quinn never had sex although they were lovers...

#2 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts
  • Location:Running through fields of alfalfa with my collie, Rex.
  • A/Sexuality:pan-romantic

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Interesting lists. Some of my favourite people were on those virgins-for-life lists :D
"Who - is Robbie?"
"He's a robot, Mr. Robot, sir." She stretched to tip-toes. "He's about so high, Mr. Robot, sir, only higher, and he's very nice. He's got a head, you know. I mean you haven't, but he has, Mr. Robot, sir."
The Talking Robot had been left behind, "A - robot?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir. A robot just like you, except he can't talk, of course, and- looks like a real person."
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."
To which the Talking Robot's only response was an erratic splutter and an occasional incoherent sound. The radical generalization offered it, i.e., its existence, not as a particular object, but as a member of a general group, was too much for it. Loyally, it tried to encompass the concept and half a dozen coils burnt out. Little warning signals were buzzing.
-"Robbie," from Isaac Asimov's I, Robot

#3 Jean Grey

Jean Grey

A-gent

• Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • A/Sexuality:bi-asexual

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

I don't think that list is very accurate. Charlotte Bronte died married and pregnant, so ... a virgin? I don't think so.

Mary? She had a bunch of children after Jesus, which I think the Catholic church fully acknowledges and in no way connects with the Holy Spirit.

#4 bard of aven

bard of aven

Kickin' Everybody Else's A

• AVEN Members
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Mary? She had a bunch of children after Jesus, which I think the Catholic church fully acknowledges and in no way connects with the Holy Spirit.

The Roman Catholic church does not acknowledge that, although many Protestant churches do. For RCs, Mary remains a virgin perpetually.

And Louis XVI is guilty of perhaps a greater miracle, as he is mentioned on both lists.......

boa
"Quod scripsi scripsi." Pontius boa

#5 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts
  • Location:Running through fields of alfalfa with my collie, Rex.
  • A/Sexuality:pan-romantic

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

Eh, well, I was never good at history... :wink:
"Who - is Robbie?"
"He's a robot, Mr. Robot, sir." She stretched to tip-toes. "He's about so high, Mr. Robot, sir, only higher, and he's very nice. He's got a head, you know. I mean you haven't, but he has, Mr. Robot, sir."
The Talking Robot had been left behind, "A - robot?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir. A robot just like you, except he can't talk, of course, and- looks like a real person."
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."
To which the Talking Robot's only response was an erratic splutter and an occasional incoherent sound. The radical generalization offered it, i.e., its existence, not as a particular object, but as a member of a general group, was too much for it. Loyally, it tried to encompass the concept and half a dozen coils burnt out. Little warning signals were buzzing.
-"Robbie," from Isaac Asimov's I, Robot

#6 Peppermintdrop

Peppermintdrop

Mega Mitosis

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:59 AM

The Roman Catholic church does not acknowledge that, although many Protestant churches do. For RCs, Mary remains a virgin perpetually.

And Louis XVI is guilty of perhaps a greater miracle, as he is mentioned on both lists.......

boa

How can they not acknowledge that Mary wasn't forever a virgin? The Bible says Jesus had brothers. I can't think of a way around it.
Posted Image
I think, therefore you are.

#7 birdnerd

birdnerd

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:09 AM

If I remember correctly, it's a bit of a translation ambiguity, because the word in those passages is actually closer to "brethren," which at the time the gospels were written could have referred to his relatives in general, and might have been Mary and a bunch of cousins, for all we know. I think there's also a tradition that says they were Joseph's kids from a previous marriage. Myself, I'm not bothered by that detail one way or another.

#8 maco

maco

Mitosis to the Max

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:29 AM

hm St. Awdry's not on there, but after she gave up the veil and got married, she still refused sex, and I'm fairly sure she died a virgin (her husband respected her wishes, even though they kinda needed an heir)
gone

#9 birdnerd

birdnerd

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • A/Sexuality:asexual

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:00 AM

It would rock if they were right about Joseph Cornell and Immanuel Kant. Not sure how reliable the site is, though.

#10 Mistah J

Mistah J

Mega Mitosis

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:52 AM

What do you think about THIS article? smile.gif

2014 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't seem to work anymore, but its content can be found here. For future reference:

Spoiler

Edited by ithaca, 15 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#11 bard of aven

bard of aven

Kickin' Everybody Else's A

• AVEN Members
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

I'm tidying up out the library today, and I'm going to unsticky this thread, as it does not seem to me to always need to be at the top of the forum list.

boa, library mod
"Quod scripsi scripsi." Pontius boa

#12 Mistah J

Mistah J

Mega Mitosis

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

I've asked you what you thought of this article... :wink:

#13 Loki

Loki

The Atrix Has You

• AVEN Members
  • 1,012 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:05 AM

interesting list as many names weren't expected :shock:

it kind is a good list as many can look up to those people who made a difference does have something in common as some of us
I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 bbctv

bbctv

The Atrix Has You

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • A/Sexuality:indif-A, feel mushy towards some women

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:48 AM

i've heard that it's likely mary had both more boys and girls after jesus, and i've actually known catholics to state this. (i think the whole idea of her perpetual virginhood just got stated by some pope or priest and it takes forever to let go of that.) of course, i don't know greek, but even several catholics i know who do say that she did have other children, and st paul in one of his epistles refers to meeting "the lord's brother" and i don't think that word in the greek would have been ambiguous from what i've heard of people who know it.

i'm SURE isaac newton died a virgin, since he stated that was his greatest accomplishment (he also busted counterfeiters and made sure some of them got hanged!) mathematician paul erdos never had sex. i don't think ludwing wittgenstein did, and mathematician sonya kovalevskly died a virgin i think. (why so many math and logical philosophy people i don't know.)
when words are no better than silence...

#15 Lunamoth

Lunamoth

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • Location:existing somewhere within the few cubic centimetres inside my own skull (which, in turn, appears to be located at a particular point in space-time)
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual (Demi-hetero-romantic?)

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:43 AM

i'm SURE isaac newton died a virgin, since he stated that was his greatest accomplishment (he also busted counterfeiters and made sure some of them got hanged!) mathematician paul erdos never had sex. i don't think ludwing wittgenstein did, and mathematician sonya kovalevskly died a virgin i think. (why so many math and logical philosophy people i don't know.)

I don't know either. Maybe it's like that Huxley quote, "An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." :?:

Maybe they are more 'rational' than emotional, or maybe they experience intense emotion in a different way (like that thread about sex being an altered state of consciousness and supposedly this altered-state can be overrided by a different "non-sexual" altered-state -- from what I understood).
私は魚の心臓でLunamoth侍です。

We don't need MORE people on this planet, we need BETTER people on this planet.

A FRIENDLY SERVICE REMINDER:
"Keep down the human population, spay or neuter your human."

What we do to nature we do to ourselves.

#16 bbctv

bbctv

The Atrix Has You

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • A/Sexuality:indif-A, feel mushy towards some women

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

on the ossuary article; some other archeologist stumbled on it a while ago, and didn't think much of it, the names being quite common, and the cost of it being fairly outside the range of the income of the family Jesus of Nazareth would have come from (plus, awfully far from Nazareth i think.) though my experience with archeology only comes from the fact that i spent many a "vacation" hauling around rocks and stuff for my dad.
when words are no better than silence...

#17 CopyFox

CopyFox

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:41 AM

boa

How can they not acknowledge that Mary wasn't forever a virgin? The Bible says Jesus had brothers. I can't think of a way around it.

I think that's more a symbolic thing, that she was forever pure of mind and heart.

I'm too lazy to make an appropriate signature.

#18 sonofzeal

sonofzeal

Asexy Authoritay!

• AVEN Members
  • 11,689 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demisexual

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

I think that's more a symbolic thing, that she was forever pure of mind and heart.

That's a good point - one could take "virgin" in this context to be symbolic of asexuality, which we all know is much less of a barrier for having kids than virginity.
Avatar editted by Spinneret, Dixie, and Hallu. Yay to all!

My Radar Graph!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

#19 AdventSign

AdventSign

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 998 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Romantic Asexual

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

I Beleive Joan of Arc was a virgin.
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death, nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet those hands will never hold anything.
So, as I pray - Unlimited Blade Works.

#20 CopyFox

CopyFox

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

That's a good point - one could take "virgin" in this context to be symbolic of asexuality, which we all know is much less of a barrier for having kids than virginity.

ROFL

#21 Orren

Orren

Asexy A-postle

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Pan-Romantic Asexual

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

OTHER AUTHORS WHO NEVER GOT ANY: Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Henry James, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift.

Did anyone else find this in-bold part of the link very tacky...

#22 CopyFox

CopyFox

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:25 AM

OTHER AUTHORS WHO NEVER GOT ANY: Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Henry James, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift.

Did anyone else find this in-bold part of the link very tacky...

I didn't pursue the feeling, but yes, I think I did, now I focus on it. The phrase "Never got any" always rubs me the wrong way. It implies that it's a BAD thing to "not get any," which is entirely too presumptuous.

#23 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts
  • A/Sexuality:just call me queer

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:14 AM

FYI, this thread is over a year old, and was started by an individual who was later banned for trollish behavior.
The real secret of life is that everyone else is just faking it, too. spinneret the explainneret! (as dubbed by the dela)
Posted Image Apositive, the new site for asexual discourse

#24 CopyFox

CopyFox

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:38 AM

FYI, this thread is over a year old, and was started by an individual who was later banned for trollish behavior.

FYI, I don't really care. It spawned a relevant discussion.

#25 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts
  • A/Sexuality:just call me queer

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:59 AM

Sometimes people miss the year on old threads. I just wanted to point it out, since there's not much point trying to engage the OP about word choice.

If it's encouraging relevant conversation, that's great.
The real secret of life is that everyone else is just faking it, too. spinneret the explainneret! (as dubbed by the dela)
Posted Image Apositive, the new site for asexual discourse

#26 CopyFox

CopyFox

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

Sometimes people miss the year on old threads. I just wanted to point it out, since there's not much point trying to engage the OP about word choice.

If it's encouraging relevant conversation, that's great.

lol

#27 AdventSign

AdventSign

Asexy Samurai

• AVEN Members
  • 998 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Romantic Asexual

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

LOL OMG....that is actually funny! Thatnk you for brightening up my day! :)
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death, nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet those hands will never hold anything.
So, as I pray - Unlimited Blade Works.

#28 Shadow girl

Shadow girl

A-Grade AVENite

• Banned
  • 4,819 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Aromantic Asexual

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:30 AM

boa

Doesn't anything even mention the names of the siblings? That is a question for my pastor tomorrow.

#29 noise

noise

Mega Mitosis

• AVEN Members
  • 295 posts
  • A/Sexuality:there's no label i'm 100% comfortable with. some would say i am an aromantic asexual.

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

i don't think andy warhol was a virgin upon death. in the philosophy of andy warhol he speaks about his views on sex.
[i'm just a lurker]

#30 electropanda

electropanda

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

Christina. G. Rossetti, I think. Though she might have been a lesbian. Still technically a virgin, though. Gerard Manley Hopkins, too. He was probably gay. They were both probably lifelong virgins for religious reasons...though very far from asexual!

I think Kant probably was a virgin when he died. I'd even mark him down as asexual.

It's a little known fact that Marilyn Monroe was hyposexual. She had lots of sex but really didn't enjoy it. Funny for a sex symbol, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users