Yes... They existed... Nobody knew... I give to you - the FAMOUS LIFELONG VIRGINS OF HISTORY:
HISTORICAL FIGURES BELIEVED TO HAVE DIED VIRGINS
VIRGINS AND NON-VIRGINS
2014 Mod Edit: The first link doesn't seem to work anymore, but the content can be found here. For future reference:
the list of 9 for february 11, 2002:
NINE HISTORICAL FIGURES BELIEVED TO HAVE DIED VIRGINS
Valentine's Day Special! if you are without a sweetie this Valentine's Day, take heart: you're not alone. Enjoy the money you will have saved by not having to blow it on chocolate or flowers, and treat yourself to a movie or a dinner or something that will at least get you out of the damn house, blubbering like a baby all night. And remember - some great people never got any action at all, throughout their whole lives! Here are a few of them. (For the sake of argument, I'm going to leave out all the various saints, popes and other religious figures.) By the way, if you're curious, this list is not written in self-defense. Apologies to my parents for breaking the news to them in this awkward way.
- ISAAC NEWTON. Possibly the most well-documented historical virgin, Newton (who after establishing landmark theories in mathematics and essentially inventing physics spent most of his life trying to calculate the literal end of the world based on Bible passages) was quite proud of his virginity, setting the standard for centuries of math and science geeks.
- QUEEN ELIZABETH I. Despite being played on-screen by the sexy Cate Blanchett, England's beloved monarch lived up to her title as the "Virgin Queen" - and even with the royal court constantly crawling with spies and gossips, there was no evidence to indicate otherwise.
- JOSEPH CORNELL. One of the most beloved American artists of the 20th century, and my personal favorite, the legendarily withdrawn Cornell lived with his mother and brother until old age, and is said to have had "some regrets" when, nearing the end of his life, he admitted to never having consummated his numerous crushes on actresses, artists, ballerinas and even local girls. By the way if you have never heard of this great artist, you owe it to yourself todiscover his magical work. OTHER ART VIRGINS: Andy Warhol, Winslow Homer, John Ruskin, Leonardo da Vinci (possibly).
- FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE. Proving that most philosophers' output is meant to justify their own insecurities, the famed misanthropist Nietzsche was also painfully shy around women. Though some suspect he was a closet homosexual, there's nothing to indicate that he acted on any of his desires, whatever they truly were. Though he did apparently die of syphilis, biographers believe he caught it not through sex but through a medical infection. OTHER FRUSTRATED PHILOSOPHERS: Rene Descartes, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Immanuel Kant were all rumored lifelong virgins.
- ANTONI GAUDI. One of the world's greatest architects, and the man single-handedly responsible for making Barcelona such a beautiful city (not to mention tourist destination), the misogynistic and increasingly hermit-like Gaudi avoided sexual contact all his life. Surprising, considering the organic sensuality of his buildings and churches.
- ADOLF HITLER? Yes, despite endless rumors of kinky fetishes (some say he would hire prostitutes to urinate on him - though obviously a lot of people bear a big-time grudge against this guy), many historians suggest that among his various fixations on "purity" (vegetarianism, disdain for alcohol, something about killing all the Jews, the handicapped and homosexuals) was that of the sexual kind: even his relationship with longtime girlfriend Eva Braun was said to be nonsexual. Who will ever know?
- LEWIS CARROLL. The good reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson - "Lewis Carroll" to scores of literary admirers - avoided the company of grown-up women in favor of, as everybody must know by now, little girls. Due to propriety of the day (thankfully), Carroll had no sexual relations with his young charges, getting his jollies instead by photographing them in the nude. (Most of his photos he demanded be burnt upon his death.) OTHER KIDDIE BOOK AUTHORS WHO DIED VIRGINS: Hans Christian Andersen, J.M. Barrie ("Peter Pan"). Draw your own conclusions.
- JORGE LUIS BORGES. The treasured Argentinian writer was revealed to have died a virgin, thanks to the gossip of his longtime maid. Borges stayed true to his first love - Mama - until her death, at which point he did marry (very late in life), though his maid insisted it was a chaste marriage. OTHER AUTHORS WHO NEVER GOT ANY: Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, Henry James, George Bernard Shaw, Jonathan Swift.
- LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN. Despite the tacky romance of the film Immortal Beloved and rumors that he died of syphilis (the scars on his face are now believed to be from lupus), it's widely accepted now that Beethoven remained a lifelong celibate. OTHER VIRGIN COMPOSERS: Anton Bruckner, Glenn Gould.
"Virginity can be lost by a thought."
Nuns, priests, eunuchs, vestal virgins.
The importance of virgin brides in certain cultures.
Virgin Mary, unicorns, other mythological creatures.
Madonna is like a virgin, but not really.
- Joan of Arc
- Jorge Luis Borges
- Emily and Charlotte Brontë
- Lewis Carroll
- Jesus Christ
- Gary Coleman
- René Descartes
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Paul Erdös
- Immanuel Kant
- King Louis XVI
- Sir Isaac Newton
- Florence Nightingale
- Virgin Mary (according to Catholics)
- Lasse Braun, 8, with a 9-year-old Italian girl.
- Lord Byron, 9, with the family nurse
- Billie Holiday, 10, raped by a middle-aged neighbor named Mr. Dick
- Jerry Lewis, 11, with a stripper procured by his father
- Milton Berle, 12, with a Broadway dancer in her dressing room
- Alphonse Daudet, 12
- Jimi Hendrix, 12
- John Holmes, 12, with a 36-year-old woman
- Anthony Kiedis, 12, with 18-year-old redhead Kimberley Smith procured by his father
- Nelly, 12, with a 15-year-old girl
- Gillian Anderson, 13, with "a punk guy who has since become a Neo-Nazi. It was awkward, stupid, unadulterated crap."
- Drew Barrymore, 13
- Danny Bonaduce, 13, on the set of The Partridge Family, with a David Cassidy fan
- Annabel Chong, pornstar, 13, with a 28-year-old man
- Tommy Lee, 13, with the next-door neighbor
- Dave Navarro, 13
- Asia Carrera, 14, with a classmate in a parking lot
- David Duchovny, 14, with a 13-year-old girl
- Jerry Hall, 14, with a rodeo bullrider who also deflowered her girlfriend
- James Joyce, 14, with a Dublin prostitute
- Bret Michaels, 14
- Evita Peron, 14, with tango singer José Armani
- The Rock, 14
- Claude Vorilhon (Rael), 14
- John Barrymore, 15, deflowered by stepmother
- Ol Dirty Bastard, 15
- Aleister Crowley, 15, with an actress in Torquay
- Veronica Hart, 15, with her 16-year-old boyfriend
- Dustin Hoffman, 15, in a darkroom with a girl who thought she was with Dustin's older brother
- Jack London, 15, with a girl named Mamie
- Traci Lords, 15, with her high school boyfriend
- Friedrich Nietzsche, 15, with a 30-year-old countess
- Sunset Thomas, 15, raped by her best friend
- Christy Canyon, 16
- Gabriele D'Annunzio, 16, with a Florentine prostitute
- Vanessa del Rio, 16, in a porno theater with her 18-year-old boyfriend
- Samantha Fox, 16
- Al Goldstein, 16, with a prostitute procured by his uncle
- Jean Harlow, 16, virgin until marriage
- King Henry VIII, 16, with peasant girls
- King Louis XVI, 16, with a court seamstress
- Marilyn Manson, 16
- W. Somerset Maugham, 16, with 26-year-old Ellingam Brooks
- Mussolini, 16, with a prostitute
- Steve-O, 16, with a 16-year-old girl in London
- Dr. Drew Pinsky, 16, with his first girlfriend
- Rasputin, 16, seduced by Danilova Kubasova -- wife of a Russian general
- Leo Tolstoi, 16, with a prostitute
- Thomas Wolfe, 16, in a bordello
- Jack Black, 17
- Giovanni Jacopo Casanova, 17, with Nanetta and Marta Savorgnan
- Alexandre Dumas, 17
- Marilu Henner, 17, in a shower
- Ron Jeremy, 17, in an alley in Littleneck, New Jersey with 16-year-old Margie
- John F. Kennedy, 17, in a Harlem bordello
- Ludacris, 17
- Tim Robbins, 17
- Annie Sprinkle, 17, with her boyfriend -- a 27-year-old hippie named Van
- Jon Stewart, 17, in college
- David Cross, 18, with a prostitute near Times Square
- Ashlyn Gere, 18, with her boyfriend
- Nina Hartley, 18
- Shanna Moakler, 18, in her dad's dental office
- Napoleon, 18, with a prostitute
- David Berkowitz, 19, with a Korean prostitute
- Pamela Des Barres, 19, with Nick St. Nicholas from the band Steppenwolf
- Linda Lovelace, 19
- Sarah Silverman, 19
- James Boswell, 20, with London prostitute Sally Forrester
- Victor Hugo, 20, virgin until marriage
- Franz Kafka, 20, with a Czech shopgirl
- Janeane Garofalo, 21, with her college boyfriend
- Eddie Izzard, 21
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 21, with 34-year-old Madame de Warens
- Jessica Hahn, 21, claims to have been a virgin when raped by Jim Bakker
- Henri Landru, 22, with 16-year-old cousin Marie Remy
- Bertrand Russell, 22, virgin until marriage
- Honoré de Balzac, 23, with 45-year-old woman
- Catherine II of Russia, 23, with one Saltykov
- André Gide, 23, with a 14-year-old local boy in Tunisia
- D.H. Lawrence, 23, with a pharmacist's wife
- Isadora Duncan, 25, with Hungarian actor Oscar Beregi
- H.G. Wells, 25, with a prostitute
- George S. Kaufman, 28, virgin until marriage
- George Bernard Shaw, 29, on his birthday with 44-year-old widow Jenny Patterson
- Havelock Ellis, 32, virgin until marriage
- Joseph Goebbels, 33
- Mary Wollstonecraft, 33, with American writer Gilbert Imlay in a Paris hotel room
- Mark Twain, 34, virgin until marriage
- Marie Stopes, birth control advocate, 38, virgin until her second marriage
John F. Kennedy, 17, loses his virginity in a Harlem bordello.
Jerry Lewis, 11, deflowered by a stripper procured by his father.
Al Goldstein's uncle arranges for a prostitute to deflower his 16-year-old nephew.
12-year-old John Holmes is deflowered by a 36-year-old woman.
20 Jul 1969
Marilu Henner, 17, loses her virginity in a shower.
Ron Jeremy goes all the way with a neighborhood girl named Margie. "My first screw took place at age 17 in Littleneck in an alley beside a school."
Little Darlings opens in theaters. The movie poster declares: "THE BET IS ON: WHOEVER LOSES HER VIRGINITY FIRST WINS."
4 Nov 1990
Steve-O, 16, loses his virginity with a 16-year-old girl in London.
21 May 1991
During a very special episode of Beverly Hills 90210, Brenda Walsh loses her virginity to Dylan McKay in a hotel room during the spring dance.
25 Sep 1991
Doogie Howser, M.D. loses his virginity on ABC television during prime time.
Isilay Saygin, Turkish Minister for Women and Family Affairs, tells the Yeni Yuzyil newspaper: "Girls of 12, 13 are falling pregnant. If girls commit suicide because of the virginity tests, they would have committed suicide anyway. I don't think this is really important. Five or three girls, it doesn't matter."
17 Jul 1998
Internet Entertainment Group calls off its upcoming live netcast of two teen virgins having sex. IEG determined that Mike and Diane were pulling a hoax on ourfirsttime.com.
Former child star Gary Coleman tells Us magazine that he is still a virgin.
9 Jul 1999
American Pie opens in theaters.
18 Oct 2000
Rioting breaks out in Arania Neel, India after a bride flunks her virginity test.
Edited by ithaca, 15 January 2014 - 05:10 PM.