Have you always been Asexual?

Cea

Thanks for fixing the thread! :) Sorry I wasn't in a terrific mood. You ~know~ that your cold is bad if you get to wondering if people on the message boards can see your posts! ;) Paranoid? Only occasionally!

Again, thanks!

Live R Perfect
Don't know about the asexual part, tho. His autobio contains detailed descriptions of his first sexual experiences alone and with others, and he seemed to take to it willingly.

I've read something about Dali before that said he was much more into masturbation than sexual intercourse. Wasn't one of his paintings called 'The Great Masturbator'?

Yes, he did, Liver. *tries to recall painting* All I can remember was that there wasn't anything explicit about the painting.

Cate

Live R Perfect

Yeah, well a lot of the titles he gave his paintings had absolutely nothing to do with the content. You gotta love the surrealists ain't ya? :P

I do really like surrealists, especially Dali :) a while back there was a full exhibit on Dali in Hartford... :)

my mom used to have a dali painting (it was a copy, i think)... to bad it got fucked up & she had to toss it... :?

I was lucky enough to see one of Dali's "Jesus" paintings on exhibit. It was really something!

There is also a lovely one in Chicago's Art Institute. I don't recall the name of it, but it has, perhaps, seven "monsters." One of the "monsters" is a little blue dog, that was painted in such a way that the blue showed up more immediately after it was painted, and then got darker and darker over the years, until it almost completely blends in with the background.

This leaves the long-term Dali fan wondering, "Did I actually see that dog when I was here a few years ago? I thought I did...oh wait, if I look closely, there it is!"

Talk about a SURREAL experience!

If any of you are ever near St. Pete/Tampa FL, the largest collection of his work anywhere is in a museum dedicated to his work on the waterfront in St. Pete. Worth the trip.

I now yield this thread to its original topic.

boa

• 2 weeks later...

I was completey oblivious to idea of sexual interest until the age of fourteen, only after I realized my twin brother was attracted to girl in a way I was unaware of.

It wasn't until age seventeen that I because aware of the fact that I wasn't interested in girl. I did have sexual relations with a female friend. the result, I knew I wasn't interested in girls or sex.

I then thought it was possible that I was homosexual. After befriending some gays, I quickly threw that assumption out. I still have gay friends, so don't think I dislike gays.

While at work a co-worker asked me out, I had to turn her down and it was night while in bed that I came to the conclusion I was nonsexual.

I am now content with myself and my lack of sexuality.

Luisa wrote:

By the way, I recently saw a documentary...there are a lot more hermaphrodites running around than we think. It's actually fairly common, and sometimes the people don't even know they have both sets of sex organs.

nice, what is the name of that documentary?

I wish that I could remember! It was one of those things I was kind of half-watching while I was dozing...but if I should catch it being re-run, I'll post it. It really ~was~ surprising, how many people were carrying both sets of sexual organs, but don't even realize it sometimes. It was a good show.

I know I've always been asexual. My behavior in sexual situations and in the sexual expressions of society has been consistently avoidant and alienated.

The most intimate friendships and loves of my life have begun and thrived non-sexually and non-physically. And these relationships are durable.

I am capable of feeling intimacy and even ecstasy in someone's presence and expression without there being any sexual contact whatsoever.

The point is that I will live and act toward what befriends me, and I will evade what alienates me.

Sexual contact alienates me.

Re hermaphroditism, on average, about 1 in 2,000 live births have ambiguous genitalia. Among medical ethicists, one of the few positions that there is virtually no argument about is that sex assignment surgery on new-borns is immoral in all cases. But that hasn't stopped most of it yet.

http://www.isna.org is a good place to start looking around if you are interested in it.

boa

Re hermaphroditism, on average, about 1 in 2,000 live births have ambiguous genitalia. Among medical ethicists, one of the few positions that there is virtually no argument about is that sex assignment surgery on new-borns is immoral in all cases. But that hasn't stopped most of it yet.

http://www.isna.org is a good place to start looking around if you are interested in it.

boa

Sex assignment! It sounds like a violation of human rights to me.

And the medical ethicists agree with one voice. Now to get the doctors to listen.

boa

The parents, in extremis, generally tend to trust the "experts". Mores the pity.

boa

Last semester, I remember hearing about a protest that was going to happen at the UConn Health Center because an *expert* was going to come and tell how to assign these children sexes...

Cool to see the last four posts together...

feels like I am on Animal PLanet. rooooaaaarrrr

It's terribly immoral. It reminds me of doctors who try to pressure parents into getting their children circumsized. I just hope it's a practice we look back on in 50 years or so and regard as being a horrible blight on our history.

Those who mentioned the BBC programmes in this thread may be interested in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/10_...day/info1.shtml

Link relates to radio interview with people in a documentary which was broadcast December 2000 (titled "The boy who was turned into a girl"). Not sure if this is the same documentary Laura and Luisa saw.

There was also a 1980 BBC documentary on the subject which a more recent BBC programme followed up - I saw the follow-up a couple of times on BBC2 over the past few years. Again, I'm not sure if this is the same one.

Dave

i suppose so, yeah. though i've called it at least a hundred diferent things... :?

anyone else go through the 'label phase'?

Yup, and I think I still am.

Don't know what I am, barely know who I am, and can't say that I've always been. Can't label myself anything but the name given to me at birth, and I barely want that. :?

Archived