Asexuals on TV

rhyven

I watched the first episode of a show called Dexter this week,and the character Dexter appears to be asexual. But is also a serial killer so perhaps not a great example!

HAha, I just dropped by to say "Dexter". Yup, asexual, very very clearly. Interesting show, but also dark and creepy as hell.

It's wierd to have anything in common with a killer - fictional or not. :|

All the zodiac cursed characters in fruits Basket... It's enforced by the whole turning into animals thing if they get hugged/embarassed they turn into animals. It's not a matter of choice for them but then it's not really a choice for the rest of us is it...

I don't think the characters from Firefly (Serenity) really count. Simon and Kaylee hook up in Serenity. In his case I think it was more awkwardness and Mal was just cool headed. In Heart of Gold episode he did have sexual relationship (albiet a brief one) with a prostitute.

All the zodiac cursed characters in fruits Basket... It's enforced by the whole turning into animals thing if they get hugged/embarassed they turn into animals. It's not a matter of choice for them but then it's not really a choice for the rest of us is it...

Um... I hope that Shigure isn't counted into that :lol: Because he's one huuuuuge perv :wink:

• 1 year later...
I watched the first episode of a show called Dexter this week,and the character Dexter appears to be asexual. But is also a serial killer so perhaps not a great example!

yes, completely -- dear dexter. :)

well, at least he is a likable serial killer with a clearly defined job description. ;)

Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory"! He has to be asexual. He makes a lot of asexual comments and he isn't interested in the girl across the hall. In last weeks episode he said something to the effect of, "That's another aspect of society that I don't understand." I love Sheldon, he's awesome.

Wait... doesn't Amelie have sex with her crush at the end? I remember her being very childish and feeling but I distincly remember them getting it on, or it is implied.

We see them in bed together at the end - he's lying with his head on her bare chest, and she's watching him sleep. The implication seems to be that they had sex, but we don't actually see them do anything other than literally sleep together

We also see Amelie have sex with some guy she doesn't like earlier in the movie. She didn't think much of it, but she wasn't repulsed. As the movie said: she found pleasure in other things. So apparently sex is not that important to her, although she doesn't mind sex.At some other point Amelie considers how many people are orgasming in Paris at that exact moment and she doesn't seem to be repulsed by the though. So she's not negative about sex.

Asexual who doesn't mind sex perhaps?

I loved Amelie and Un long dimanche de fiançailles. But I was somewhat shocked by the large amount of sex in Un long dimanche de fiançailles.

• 1 month later...
spoonsfromdenmark
Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory"! He has to be asexual. He makes a lot of asexual comments and he isn't interested in the girl across the hall. In last weeks episode he said something to the effect of, "That's another aspect of society that I don't understand." I love Sheldon, he's awesome.
sheldon rules

thats all

I love Sheldon too. He is totally asexual.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might have 3 TV characters for you but I had to go back a few years for them:

(1) Arnold from "Happy Days"

(2) Alice from "The Brady Bunch

(3) The Professor from "Gilligan's Island"

Marcus Cole in Babylon 5 - although he falls in love with Susan Ivanova, he remains a virgin...

And don't forget Lennier!

He loved Delenn, bu he made it clear that it was in a pure, chaste way.

Minor Six Feet Under Spoilers:

Arthur Martin on Six Feet Under. He seems like a heteroromantic asexual.

http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/cast/chara...ur_martin.shtml

David says he thinks that Arthur is asexual.

When Ruth asked Arthur if he's ever he's ever had sex, he says "I think I have..., in a sense".

Rainn Wilson, who plays the character, also plays Dwight Schrute in the American version of The Office.

in amelie, they lay together in the bed without clothes. i always assumed they had sex.

it also showed their silhouettes kissing pretty heavily.

other than that, both characters seamed pretty uninterested in sex, but still aware of it.

Brady Bunch Alice was an unacknowledged lesbian. The Professor -- maybe. Asperger's, at least.

gravity_defiant
Brady Bunch Alice was an unacknowledged lesbian.

Didn't she have a thing with the butcher or something?

How about Adrian Monk?

How about Adrian Monk?

In one episode Adrian revealed to his therapist that he and his wife never had sex. I've always thought of him as asexual, even before then.

Oh yeah, the butcher...god that show was awful. Of course the actor playing the father was gay.

Arthur Martin on Six Feet Under. He seems like a heteroromantic asexual.

David says he thinks that Arthur is asexual.

Yep, I was quite impressed and surprised by this one. Not so much the character but the way both David and Keith just threw around lines like "I think he's a" without really talking down to the audience about it.

The funny thing is, I didn't even notice that line originally. It was only going through again recently that I picked up on it.

In one episode Adrian revealed to his therapist that he and his wife never had sex. I've always thought of him as asexual, even before then.

His phobias might be a factor. In order of importance, according to Wiki, aphephobia, gymnophobia and genophobia seem to be very plausible reasons for not having sex.

• 2 weeks later...
tourmaline20

I just watched the first episode of the second season of Dexter. I have not seen the first season and first heard about the show here. There is a scene where his girlfriend kinda springs being naked and wanting sex on him and he's lying on top of her thinking in his head "Any moment now...any moment." He gave up pretty quickly. Made me laugh. :D So I guess he's a heteromantic serial killer? :P Needless to say I liked the show (not just for the asexuality bit but because I love quirky shows) and will continue to watch it.

So I guess he's a heteromantic serial killer?

It's pretty hard to say what he is.

At the start of the show I would have put him under aromantic rather than heteroromantic. The early episodes establish that his relationship with Rita was largely a "disguise" to maintain the illusion of just being an everyday guy. The reason he selected Rita for this was because she had a traumatic sexual past and thus he had no pressure to have sex. Over the season that gradually changed and they became at least somewhat sexual with each other. It's never really made clear how he feels about this, but he seems to go with it. So yes, at this point he may well be heteroromantic, as he has certainly developed at least some feelings for Rita as time has gone on.

I've watched through all of Dexter twice and though I love the show and the character, I don't think he's asexual.

He's reluctant about sex (as he says), because whenever he has sex with someone they see the darkness in him and they get scared and leave. There was an episode where they dealt very heavily with that issue. Near the end he has sex with Rita for the first time, and when she isn't afraid of him he feels relieved. In the second season he chooses to initiate a very intensive sexual relationship with lila (after rita breaks up with him). Then later when he and Rita get back together he is the one who re-initiates the sexual part of their relationship and seems very glad of it.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid spoilers for season two :)

I think the changes are largely down to a change in the writing of the character more than anything else. I'm pretty certain that the character was initially set out to be asexual. That assumes of course that the writers are even aware of asexuality. The character was simply written to not be interested in "human" routines. I think it's just an inevitable side effect of television that the more unusual characters will become more "humanised" over the run of a series. Unfortunately in this case that largely means he becomes sexual like "everyone else".

I'm not overly concerned by all of this. I certainly don't watch the show for any asexual elements, in fact they were largely just a welcome surprise when I started watching in the first place. I am curious to see where they go with over the rest of the story though.

In series 5 of Scrubs (can't remember which episode)

Carla is having a baby and Turk decides to film it so Carla's sister can watch it at home on the net.

Carla protests about having a camera man and says something along the lines of "Not unless he's completely Asexual"

Turk says. "Yeah I got Ted"

Then Carla passes off a Great Choice look, nods and says *Yeah Cool*

I remember another asexual comment being passed off in a previous series but I can't remember which one. Though I think it's series 3, but it was used in the wrong context, iirc Carla called Elliot asexual or something along those lines, which struck me as way off the mark. Though I may have heard it wrong.

*Drives off listening to speed metal* ;)

Archived