31554 replies to this topic

#1 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts
  • A/Sexuality:just call me queer

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:16 PM

I think it might be time for another new window into AVEN's minds. The old thread is all messed up now.
The real secret of life is that everyone else is just faking it, too. spinneret the explainneret! (as dubbed by the dela)
Posted Image Apositive, the new site for asexual discourse

#2 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts
  • Location:Running through fields of alfalfa with my collie, Rex.
  • A/Sexuality:pan-romantic

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

I'm thinking about goign to see how messed up the other thread is...
"Who - is Robbie?"
"He's a robot, Mr. Robot, sir." She stretched to tip-toes. "He's about so high, Mr. Robot, sir, only higher, and he's very nice. He's got a head, you know. I mean you haven't, but he has, Mr. Robot, sir."
The Talking Robot had been left behind, "A - robot?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir. A robot just like you, except he can't talk, of course, and- looks like a real person."
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."
To which the Talking Robot's only response was an erratic splutter and an occasional incoherent sound. The radical generalization offered it, i.e., its existence, not as a particular object, but as a member of a general group, was too much for it. Loyally, it tried to encompass the concept and half a dozen coils burnt out. Little warning signals were buzzing.
-"Robbie," from Isaac Asimov's I, Robot

#3 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

It has linking errors for the last several posts of a new page.
The real secret of life is that everyone else is just faking it, too. spinneret the explainneret! (as dubbed by the dela)

#4 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

It does?

... :shock:

Aliens have abducted the link errors from my computer :shock:

*hides under chair*

"Who - is Robbie?"
"He's a robot, Mr. Robot, sir." She stretched to tip-toes. "He's about so high, Mr. Robot, sir, only higher, and he's very nice. He's got a head, you know. I mean you haven't, but he has, Mr. Robot, sir."
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir. A robot just like you, except he can't talk, of course, and- looks like a real person."
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."
To which the Talking Robot's only response was an erratic splutter and an occasional incoherent sound. The radical generalization offered it, i.e., its existence, not as a particular object, but as a member of a general group, was too much for it. Loyally, it tried to encompass the concept and half a dozen coils burnt out. Little warning signals were buzzing.

#5 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

In that case, the aliens are just being friendly. The slimy tentacled ones usually are--it's the little grey folk you've gotta watch out for.

#6 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

And the polka dotted ones :shock:
"Who - is Robbie?"
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."

#7 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

I've not run into those ones. . .yet.

#8 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

You can always tell when you hear the mamba music... they're coming... :shock:
"Who - is Robbie?"
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."

#9 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Really? I'd've thought they'd be into--well, polka.

#10 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual and Aromantic

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

How I can reformat my brain.
"Your existence is futile."
The Neurovore, creator of the famous blue bananas. Posted Image

(\__/)
( >< )
(")_(") This is dead bunny. Bunny tried to rule the world, but he was eaten by a neurovore while visiting AVEN.

Men and boys are expendable and girls and women are protected. Women have rights and men have responsibilties. Same theme, different issue. Circumcision, Health Care, Family Courts, Selective Service, False Accusation, Reproductive Rights, Education

#11 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Then what would the inside of your head look like?

#12 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

More organized, and free from self-destructive hardwired human traits. I have quite a technologically advanced infrastructure in some areas in my head, and I have to make sure that it is running smoothy. I have to ensure Treoxx compatibility.

(\__/)
( >< )
(")_(") This is dead bunny. Bunny tried to rule the world, but he was eaten by a neurovore while visiting AVEN.

Men and boys are expendable and girls and women are protected. Women have rights and men have responsibilties. Same theme, different issue. Circumcision, Health Care, Family Courts, Selective Service, False Accusation, Reproductive Rights, Education

#13 Wild Seven

Wild Seven

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,791 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Somewhat romantic, the rests, dunno. :P

I'm thinking how much have I missed today.

#14 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Maybe you should get in touch with am about that. You seem like a good candidate for assimilation.

#15 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

Far from it. The Borg are actually quite silly.

(\__/)
( >< )

#16 Wild Seven

Wild Seven

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

You claim the most developed human *strike it. another word, another world.* to be quite silly? How daring.

#17 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

In that case I'm sure you could trick them into giving your brain a remodel without assimilating you.

#18 Wild Seven

Wild Seven

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

... may I save the configuration of the original brain before the op is done, Neuro?

#19 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

Actually, my version of the ideal can be found in the "Genetic Modifications" thread.

(\__/)
( >< )

#20 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:35 PM

Really? I'd've thought they'd be into--well, polka.

That's what they WANT you to think, but then they sneak in with their mamba, and you don't expect it, and then BAM!
"Who - is Robbie?"
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."

#21 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

If you want, I could dig up a link to that thread.

(\__/)
( >< )

#22 Wild Seven

Wild Seven

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

May I please?

#23 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

Here is what I wrote from the thread.

Neurovore wrote:
Well...let me see...where should I begin...

I have a whole list of things that I would like to do.

1. Move my reproductive organs internally like in the male prairie dog. It was a really stupid design of nature to leave something that sensitive so vulnerable to injury. Actually, I read about some guy who was born with one testicle, but he had three kidneys. Men only need one testicle for enough testosterone production. In mammals, the fetus develops two pairs of kidneys, from when we evolved from fish. Two of a mammals kidneys are modified and become either the testicles or the ovaries. If I could get by with only one testicle, I would like to have an extra kidney instead.
2. Redesign my knees. Human knees are a structural disaster.
3. Get rid of my prostate gland. I do not relish the thought of getting prostate cancer, especially considering that I am guaraunteed on getting it because of my genetic history.
4. The ability to fully regenerate from injuries that aren't immediately fatal. This includes regrowing lost fingers or limbs, and being able to completely repair damage to my internal organs like the heart or kidneys.
5. Make my arms the same length as my legs. Primate length arms would be really useful.
6. Stop the aging process, so I would never have to worry about growing old.
7. Get rid of my nipples and belly button. They're gross, and they do not serve any useful purpose.
8. Have horizontally shaped pupils like a frog.
9. Speaking of amphibians, it would also be fun to have webbed feet and hands for swimming as well as a webbed tail like a newt.
10. While I am at it, I would also like my toes to be fully opposable and be dexterous enough to serve as a second pair of hands like in the rest of the great apes.
11. Have transparent skin like the "Visible Man" model or those "glass catfish" that you can get for your aquarium. This would also be with partially transparent bones. It would be fun to watch your internal organs as they function.

Educational Website wrote:
Y. Wakamatsu et al (Nagoya University, JP) discuss a cross-
breeding-engineered transparent adult fish. The bodies of most
vertebrates are opaque, and internal organs are not visible from
the outside. This makes non-invasive studies of internal organs
difficult in vertebrate models. Small laboratory fish, such as
the medaka (Oryzias latipes) and the zebrafish (Brachydanio
rerio), are recognized as excellent vehicles for studies of the
embryonic development of vertebrates because of the transparency
of their bodies. However, this advantage is lost after the
hatching stage because of the development of pigment cells in the
skin, peritoneum, and some other tissues. Pigment cells in some
fish species, including medaka, are classified into four main
types based on their color: melanophores, iridophores,
leucophores, and xanthophores. Melanophores contain melanin in
melanosomes, the melanin-containing organelles, and show black or
brown color. Iridophores exhibit various structural colors and
iridescence through the reflection of light from the surface of
orderly distributed organelles called "reflecting platelets".
These organelles contain guanine as the main component, although
guanine is not a true pigment. Leucophores are considered an
extreme type of iridophore and show a structural white color.
Xanthophores are pale yellow to bright red cells containing
pteridines and carotenoids in pterinosomes and carotenoid
vesicles, respectively, in the cytoplasm. Approximately 50
natural color mutants of medaka are maintained in the laboratory
of the authors, and some of these color mutants exhibit
deficiency in pigmentation. By crossing selected mutants, the
authors report they genetically removed the pigment from the
entire body of the fish, and have thereby generated a transparent
fish, the "see-through medaka". In this fish stock, the main
internal organs are visible through the body wall of the living
adult. A transgenic variety containing green fluorescent protein
has also been produced. The authors suggest the see-through
medaka will provide an opportunity for non-invasive studies of
morphological and molecular events that occur in internal organs
in the later stages of life.

Here are a few more things I thought of...

1. Have some sort of a biological equivalent of a self diagnostic program built into my central nervous system. This would allow me to determine if there is anything physiologically wrong with me, where the problems are, allowing easy treatment at the doctor's office. I do not know how you would go about genetically engineering this modification. Maybe you could have the sensory nerves and various organs in your body relay physiological information to your brain stem, which would then put the information in your conscious mind.

2. I would also like to have the biological equivalent of a heads-up display system in my field of vision. It would be useful to have various information like your weight, hand-eye coordination targeting reticule, people's names, as well as audio and literary information put in visual form at the bottom of your physiological HUD. When you have your body do a self diagnostic, its findings would also be put on your HUD.

3. I want to be able to pick and choose which memories I want to store and which things I would like to delete. No more forgetting important things. Also, when ever you choose to recall something, you would have the option of replaying it over your field of vision and hearing it in your ears like a DVD recording inside your head. You would also have the option of having audio feedback only, or just remember it the old fashioned way.

I also do not know where you would start rewiring your brain and nervous system to be able to do this. It would be neat though. It would be unimaginably useful as well.

ShadowLove16 wrote:
I dunno... Well... Go watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex... it involves cybernetic implants in humans... barely visible... and replaceable.

Neurovore wrote:
I have never watched Ghost in the Shell, because I could never take something seriously whose main character is busy running around in spandex bikinis and leotards while trying to pass itself off as a serious show.

As to what I said earlier, cybernetic parts would still lack sensory feedback. I am by no means a masochist, but physical sensation is highly important. I saw something on television about a kid who was born with some genetic disorder that prevented her brain from interpeting pain signals. This was a huge problem, because she was constantly injuring herself without realizing it. Here is a literary version of the report.

Educational Website wrote:
Girl with rare disease doesn't know pain

Ashlyn Blocker, 5, must be checked for scrapes and cuts because she cannot feel pain.
PATTERSON, Georgia (AP) -- Ashlyn Blocker's parents and kindergarten teachers all describe her the same way: fearless. So they nervously watch her plunge full-tilt into a childhood deprived of natural alarms.

In the school cafeteria, teachers put ice in 5-year-old Ashlyn's chili. If her lunch is scalding hot, she'll gulp it down anyway.

On the playground, a teacher's aide watches Ashlyn from within 15 feet, keeping her off the jungle gym and giving chase when she runs. If she takes a hard fall, Ashlyn won't cry.

Ashlyn is among a tiny number of people in the world known to have congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis, or CIPA -- a rare genetic disorder that makes her unable to feel pain.

"Some people would say that's a good thing. But no, it's not," says Tara Blocker, Ashlyn's mother. "Pain's there for a reason. It lets your body know something's wrong and it needs to be fixed. I'd give anything for her to feel pain."

The untreatable disease also makes Ashlyn incapable of sensing extreme temperatures -- hot or cold -- disabling her body's ability to cool itself by sweating. Otherwise, her senses are normal.

Ashlyn can feel the texture of nickels and dimes she sorts into piles on her bedroom floor, the heft of the pink backpack she totes to school and the embrace of a hug. She feels hunger cravings for her favorite after-school snack, pickles and strawberry milk.

That's because the genetic mutation that causes CIPA only disrupts the development of the small nerve fibers that carry sensations of pain, heat and cold to the brain.

"There are all kinds of different nerve cells that help us feel different sensations," says Dr. Felicia Axelrod, a professor of pediatrics and neurology at New York University School of Medicine. "You can have one sense removed, just like you can lose your hearing but still smell things."

Number afflicted unknown

Specialists such as Axelrod don't know how many people suffer from CIPA. As director of a treatment center that specializes in CIPA and related disorders, Axelrod has 35 patients with the disease on file. Only 17 of them are from the United States. Japan has the world's only association for CIPA patients. It has 67 members.

In Patterson, a rural town of 800 people in southeast Georgia, John and Tara Blocker had no idea the disorder existed before they took Ashlyn to the doctor for a bloodshot, swollen left eye when she was 8 months old.

The doctor put drops in Ashlyn's eye to stain any particles that might be irritating it. The infant smiled and bounced in her mother's lap while the dye revealed a massive scratch across her cornea.

"They put the dye in her eye and I remember the look of puzzlement on all their faces," Ashlyn's mother says. "She was not phased by it by any means."

Tests by a geneticist led to Ashlyn's diagnosis. To have the disorder, Ashlyn had to inherit two copies of the mutated gene -- one from each parent.

Ashlyn's father, a telephone technician, and mother, who holds a degree in physical education, were largely on their own in learning to cope with their daughter's strange indifference to injury.

Many things they couldn't anticipate. Ashlyn's baby teeth posed big problems. She would chew her lips bloody in her sleep, bite through her tongue while eating, and once even stuck a finger in her mouth and stripped flesh from it.

Family photos reveal a series of these self-inflicted injuries. One picture shows Ashlyn in her Christmas dress, hair neatly coifed, with a swollen lip, missing teeth, puffy eye and athletic tape wrapped around her hands to protect them. She smiles like a little boxer who won a prize bout.

Her first serious injury came at age 3, when she laid her hand on a hot pressure washer in the back yard. Ashlyn's mother found her staring at her red, blistered palm.

"That was a real reality check for me. At that point I realized we're not going to be able to stop all the bad stuff," Tara Blocker says. "She needs a normal life, with limitations."

So when Ashlyn goes to her kindergarten class at Patterson Elementary School, she gets daily check-ups with school nurse Beth Cloud after recess. Cloud and Ashlyn's mother discussed having her wear a helmet on the playground, but decided it would look too odd.

And when teacher's aide Sue Price puts ice in Ashlyn's chili at lunch, her dozen classmates get ice in theirs too.

Infections with no outward symptoms also concern them. They heard of a case where a child with CIPA had appendicitis that went untreated until her appendix burst.

"It's a lot to take in. It opens your eyes to things you wouldn't normally think about," says Tara Blocker. "If she sees blood, she knows to stop. There's only so much you can tell a 5-year-old."

With cybernetics, there is also the problem of the brain being able to interpet implants. Imagine If I had a sensor that could detect all the photons hitting my body and the difference in wavelength, how would the brain perceive that so I could use it? It would be like an all seeing eye across my whole skin.

Considering we already have a sense that can detect differences in temperature across parts of our skin... our brain limits how we perceive it. You donít think at all times wow my arm is 1.10943575435987543degC warmer than my little toe. Even when you do think about temperature its only a relative change you sense and over a large area of your skin. Plus you donít perceive it in a different way to touch; its like touch but with the concept of hot and cold added on. Just think about autistic people, they have a hard enough time sorting out whatís going on from their senses and thatís without anyone adding some new ones. Maybe if people had the extra sense from birth it might be different?

This is a lot like when a blind person from birth has an operation 20 years later and is able to see for the first time, the brain has to learn how to interpret the new signals. In many of these scenarios, the brain cannot fully learn to control the sensory input coming from the eyes in this case, because the adult brain looses much of its plasticity as it grows older.

ShadowLove16 wrote:
Wow... it was too long for me to finish reading... but I know where you're getting at. Pain can be healthy; it indicates the body of signs of harm. Maybe if we learned to actually pay attention to our pains and take care of ourselves instead of just numbing it (although there are times in which you must compromise for the sake of social itineraries)...

Neurovore wrote:
If you look earlier in this topic, I had posted about some of my other ideas for genetic modifications that I would like to have. Bear in mind, I REALLY DO NOT LIKE PAIN, that is why I try to avoid injuring myself whenever possible. I could never understand the whole S&M culture. Damaging yourself on purpose is silly and stupid. On the other hand, I would like to put some people that I know of in serious pain because of their stupidity, but we will not get into that.

My main beef with the human body it its limited mechanisms of self repair. It has the amazing ability to heal itself, but it is quite limited in its scope. There is little reason why it shouldn't have been designed to be biologically immortal.

ShadowLove16 wrote:
Yeah... about the main character in spandex... Hee hee.... that thought never crossed my head. But... the show itself is rather philisophical... I like science ficton, with a little crime solving on the side.

Neurovore wrote:
Would it really be too much to ask for anime girls and women to put on some pants? Aeon Flux suffers from the same problem. The show had so much potential, but it was ruined by the everpresent quest for sexploitation. Aside from protection from knives and bullets, wouldn't you want something covering your legs to shield you from the elements as well as biting insects?

(\__/)
( >< )

#24 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:03 PM

:shock: I would LOVE to have one ovary and three kidneys.

Interesting. Very interesting. Doesn't say much about your brain, though.

For what it's worth, Ghost in the Shell is very interesting exploration of the human/machine boundary. I'd classify it with Blade Runner rather than with "ooh! titties!" style anime. At least there's vaguely excusable plot to support the nudity in this one.

#25 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

:shock: I would LOVE to have one ovary and three kidneys.

What about no ovaries and four kidneys? :lol:

I think I said what I thought in the other thread...

But Ghost in the Shell is something I really need to watch.

"Who - is Robbie?"
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."

#26 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

Like I said, I am still trying to figure out how to describe my mind in a way that people can grasp.

(\__/)
( >< )

#27 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

I think we need a new Person Above You thread, too :(

#28 Neurovore

Neurovore

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:22 PM

Yes we do.

(\__/)
( >< )

#29 spinneret

spinneret

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

Care to do the honors?

#30 Charlieee

Charlieee

A Jabberbox

• AVEN Members
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:30 PM

Aha! Washington University has the exact major that I want! *laughs maniacally*
"Who - is Robbie?"
"A - robot - like - me?"
"Yes, Mr. Robot, sir."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users