• 38 to 43 years and consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • 32 to 37 years and consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • 26 to 31 years and consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • 18 to 25 years and consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • under 18 years and consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • I DO NOT consider myself an OLDER ASEXUAL
    • I DO NOT consider myself ASEXUAL.

FelineFanatic

It seems the posters here are from a wide age range. I am just wondering what is the average age one considers themself as an Older Asexual. I will keep this poll open for 40 days. Please humor me and vote. If you just like to read the topics and post, but do not consider yourself older, please check that response. PLEASE, ONLY CHECK AN AGE GROUP IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE YOURSELF TO BE AN OLDER ASEXUAL. There is a box for you to check if you do not consider yourself OLDER. NOTE; ALL NON-ASEXUALS PLEASE CHOOSE THE BOX STATING YOU ARE NOT ASEXUAL.

I didn't vote - I consider myself of the 'older' set on Aven because I am older than most people on Aven - but I don't visit the 'older' forum because a few Avenites older than me have stated that they do not consider me 'older'. :?

I do read here occasionally... and I'll keep checking back. If there are others around my age who consider themselves older, then I'll be more likely to feel like I can join in more. 8)

To me, the younger end of what I would consider the "older" asexuals would be anyone who has moved out on his/her own and works full-time for a living (or is married.) They are already in a very different situation from the members who live at home or on campus and are still students.

I think of it more as a level of self-sufficiency and self-knowledge than actual age. Maturity seems to occur at different times in different people, but it becomes outwardly evident when a person suddenly realizes that older people are NOT as stupid and clueless about life as the person once thought.

The older end of "older" asexuals would, of course, be anybody who is still alive! :lol:

By this definition, the later 20's to 30-somethings (and beyond) would be very welcome here if they wish to ask questions or contribute. They are normally past that stage of teenage angst and indecisiveness that is so prevalent among our younger members. They are facing the very real prospects of either living alone or compromising for the rest of their lives, and I think that hearing about the various methods that we 'oldies" have used to deal with these issues might be helpful to them - even if only to illustrate what does NOT work.

I hate to think that anybody would feel that they weren't welcome here just due to their age.

-Greybird

I agree. It was never 'decided' what age the 'older' asexual is, the forum is more for a more settled lifestyle so posts don't keep getting buried or hijacked to discuss RP-ing games or how much someone hates his/her parents or roommates.

I can only compare it to the concept of an 'adult apartment building'. I made the mistake of moving into one because it meant there were no children. All if meant was that everyone was over 18...which meant most were 18-25 and many dealt drugs and had all night parties. WHAT made me think it was only going to be for the working crowd who had smoked, drank and danced all of that out of their systems 20 years ago..I don't know but...live and learn.

Or, like going to a lounge for a drink. There's nothing wrong with the ones that have loud dance music and hair that looks like the offspring of a bag of candy floss....all the power to them and they're not harming me but I'd like to go for conversation. I can't do that with pounding music and the candy-floss haired crowd don't appear to want to just sit somewhere quiet. Same with sports bars, I don't like going there to try to converse because of the hundreds of TVs around.

All of those are 'adult/older' environments, I just compare the 'older asexual' forum to the quieter lounge as opposed to a sports bar or nightclub.

Silly Green Monkey

I'm married, and I'm a student who lives in a dorm. What does that make me?

I consider myself of the 'older' set on Aven because I am older than most people on Aven - but I don't visit the 'older' forum because a few Avenites older than me have stated that they do not consider me 'older'.

Well, pish posh to them! As you say, most Avenites are on the young end, which means the older folks start at about 28 or so...

Join in, join in!

When it was said it was in a joking way as if I was 'too young' to be considered old... and I didn't take it as an insult and it had nothing to do with this forum, but in another forum well before this one came around.

But it did make me wonder if I didn't qualify - Thanks for the clarification :) - perhaps I will stop by in here more often.

FelineFanatic

a Silly Green Monkey!!! :lol:

Sorry--I could not resist!

Do you and your partner share a dorm room?

And me! I didn't know the "older" originally just meant older than a student. In some ways, I do wander backwards and forwards between sections of the board, I think most of us do, and maybe I kid myself I'm "younger" in some ways! Sometimes it's subject matter, and sometimes maybe it's the second childhood thing kicking in already... or the first childhood thing never quite gone away ...

Since I turned 64 this year, definitely an older asexual!! And I usually don't mind at all. The only times I mind at all is when I need help making decisions about cars or my house.

Hey, I'm 59 and astonished to make this age! Cool! I thought - at 30 - I'd be longdead by now!

And Older Asexual definition? Someone who has realised they *are* an asexual, and has been around for a few years - dont care whether you are 20 or 200, long as you have been *aware in your skin* that you are an asexual for a long-enough while to feel comfortable in enough* ways* - haere mai! Welcome Older Asexual!

Interesting, I seem to be the only one in my age bracket!! :shock: Surely there are more my age out there. Gets a bit lonely if there are not more. :?

Whoops, I clicked on the "43" age bracket, then realized that it said asexual and I'm emphatically not asexual. I realize I'm skewing the data and interfering with important scientific research, but I can't figure out how to change my vote.

*bows head in shame*

Sorry,

Chiaroscuro

I am 31. I don't know if that qualifies me as older, but I certainly feel much older than many here after reading dozens of posts of high school kids, having high school problems. I just can't relate. Seems like so much angst over other people and what they think and how one can "make" them understand you. At their age I would have been the same way, but at this point in my life I don't care if the rest of the sexual world understands me or not. I'm not interested in sex--don't believe me, fine, believe what you want, I know what I am. I find many of those kind of posts hard to relate to.

It makes you SMART! That's what!

I counted the age catagories and there were 9. I had to concede to being 'older' because I was above the halfway mark of 4 1/2. NOT because I'm 'older'!

'Older' A relative term! When I was 39 I lived in an apartment complex for retirees. They were in their 60's to 90's and kept calling me 'kid'. I entered my 40's feeling that If I just kept that perspective I'd never get 'old'er'. So now that I'm verging on the big FIVE-O I still am having no particular disquiet over the number figuring that to an 80 year old, I'm STILL a KID! LOLOLOL!

P.S. You know you're old when you throw a party and your neighbors don't notice!

I just moved up an age bracket on Saturday - from 55 to 56! Wheeeeeeee!

Happy Birthday and congratulations Hannah (and Ziffler)! You're at the height of your powers.

-Chiaroscuro

I realize that Middle and High Schoolers believe they are mature for their age, but as long as your main concerns are what others are thinking and saying about you, and if you have the right clothes to fit in and who you are going out with friday night, then maturity hasn't set in yet. At least not the maturity for "Older Asexuals." In my opinion that is. :D

Oh it also helps to have some idea what "Mid life crisis is?" :D :D :D

And no, it doesn't mean your boyfriend/girlfriend spoke to someone else during science class. :D :D :D

Sorry Ziffler, this has been bothering me for days, but I don't want to get pompous about it (and happy belated birthday anyway). I know you're being jokey, but think this is a horrible caricature of younger people with the self-awareness to join AVEN. Which might also be called a kind of maturity, by the way!

There are two ways of being interested in how other people view us. I want to go on thinking about who I am, who we all are, how we fit into society and what it all means, and the best discussions about that, for me, are with intelligent, witty, kind Avenites much younger than me (maybe not high school but in their twenties to my fifties). I don't want to be too comfortable. I know we're just very different!

Ok Wordwitch,

I'll delete it. I am so used to people not liking what I say.

I guess it's time to tie my fingers together so I can't type. :D

I'll delete it. I am so used to people not liking what I say.

I guess it's time to tie my fingers together so I can't type. :D

Lordy Ziff.... Never saw you do THAT before ! You are certainly entitled to post your opinion, and if someone doesn't agree with you ...then they will post THIERS!

I kinda LIKE you cantankerous! :wink:

I started getting "iffy" when I submitted my data into the poll because I am not CERTAIN that I am actually asexual. But since I behave like an asexual, I will consider myself asexual for the purposes of the poll.

My personal opinion about who is OLDER would be someone more than halfway through normal life expectancy, so I guess I don't think of anyone under 30 as "older"......unless we are referring to an "older adolescent" :lol:

Lizzie

(in the sky with diamonds)

Greetings all. I am 33 and consider myself "older" in the Avenite crowd for reasons previously cited by others (for example Starrysky). Ziffler- though you were able to delete your post it is still quoted in Wordwitch's post and I wanted to tell you that your comments were funny to me! And I naturally assumed you didn't mean anything hurtful. And as if those teenagers don't smirk about the clothes older people wear, hairstyles, driving habits etc.

Silly Green Monkey- please come back and share re: does your husband live with you in the dorm?!?

I agree with whoever defined "older" for AVEN purposes as anyone out of school and supporting themselves.

Ciao! Heidi

meh, i've always been 'old for my years.' my sister's four years old than i am, but people always say that if they didn't know better, they'd say i was the older one. dunno why...

Archived