Worst responses to your asexuality

henrik

joyfacedown

I got "you're not a flower." from my best friend the first time I brought it up, later on he accepted it though.

And I got, "tell me this again when you're 38" from my mother.

"tell me this again when you're 38" from my mother.

i would get the same reaction out of my mother.

i can't decided which would be the lesser of the two evils: being taken seriously and shunned for it, or being a joke.

"How can you know you wouldn't like it if you haven't tried it?" someone asks.

"How do you know that you wouldn't like stuffing ten dirty socks to your mouth?" I ask.

"What do you mean. Of course I know that I wouldn't like that."

"Oh, don't worry. It's just a phase."

You are so awesome that my mind hurts.

That's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me, so thanks.

joyfacedown
"tell me this again when you're 38" from my mother.

i would get the same reaction out of my mother.

i can't decided which would be the lesser of the two evils: being taken seriously and shunned for it, or being a joke.

My thought exactly.

asafugitive

I rarely mention asexuality to people because it doesn't seem like an important fact (just like when I meet someone I don't introduce myself as a vegetarian). but sometimes it does come up. usually people just ignore it, but I think the funniest thing I've heard, and i'm sure a lot of you have heard is "no you're not"

like, oh yeah, you're right, I'm not asexual. I was just kidding :roll:

"It's not a sin as long as you don't act on your asexual orientation."

I'd never heard anything about it being sinful not to desire sex.

I have heard that, oddly enough. I heard a PRIEST say that asexuality was a sin. Why? Because while you're not supposed to act on sexual desire (unless in a marriage), you're still supposed to have that desire. Otherwise, you are rejecting god's gift of sexuality.

Some people believe anything aside from hetero-sexual is a sin. It's rather pathetic. :roll:

GEEZUS ... who the hell do these people think they are anyway. You know what bugs me most about the catholics that are ready to tell you that you are living your life incorrectly ... ? Is the fact that they probably have priests that are up to NO GOOD behind the alter. Who is telling them that they are being sinful? MAKES ME CRAZY. Just let people live their lives as they choose and SHUT IT. If they are not hurting anyone ... what is the problem??

ps ... Sorry for the reference to Catholics. I did not intend to offend anyone

When I told my step-mom that I was asexual after she'd spent a long, gruelling day of pointing out every attractive boy within a twelve mile radius, she informed me that I was not asexual. In fact, not only am I not asexual, but I am involved in a threesome with two of my best friends and it was silly for me to try and cover it up by saying that I'm asexual.

The best part was when she took my hand, looked into my eyes and said, very sincerely, "I understand, sweetheart. I'm a very progressive woman! I can see that the three of you have a very committed, healthy relationship and that's fine. Just don't think you can hide these things from me!"

.... Er?

To be fair, I spend most of my time with my two best friends and they do happen to be in a romantic and sexual relationship with each other. Yes, it's also true that I share an apartment with them. I don't, however, have sex with them on a regular basis. Or at all, in fact.

When I told my step-mom that I was asexual after she'd spent a long, gruelling day of pointing out every attractive boy within a twelve mile radius, she informed me that I was not asexual. In fact, not only am I not asexual, but I am involved in a threesome with two of my best friends and it was silly for me to try and cover it up by saying that I'm asexual.

The best part was when she took my hand, looked into my eyes and said, very sincerely, "I understand, sweetheart. I'm a very progressive woman! I can see that the three of you have a very committed, healthy relationship and that's fine. Just don't think you can hide these things from me!"

.... Er?

To be fair, I spend most of my time with my two best friends and they do happen to be in a romantic and sexual relationship with each other. Yes, it's also true that I share an apartment with them. I don't, however, have sex with them on a regular basis. Or at all, in fact.

*facepalm*

Wow Pixies, she can accept polygamy but not asexuality?? :roll:

While I love my sister dearly, her response to it the first time she heard about it was that she thinks the cure for asexuality is a soulmate.

Since then, she's realized my point with the fact that an asexual can have a soulmate and still be asexual, but... Yeah.

persian85033

I hate it when people take it as a joke. My parents do just that. They never take anything I say seriously, even, if say, I read it in a book, or learned it at school. I mean, I can't even use the terms like bitch, stud or anything like that around my parents the way I do at work, because they think I'm immature, or stupid. Those are just the normal terms for a female dog, and a male dog, or sometimes cat. We use them all the time. I can't express my opinion because of that, too. They just take everything I say as a joke.

My mother does not know I'm asexual. She has noticed, however, that I have no interest in dating or sex. She's come to the conclusion that the reason why I have never dated is that I'm not confident about my appearance. To solve my "confidence problem," she has offered to pay for plastic surgery for my upcoming birthday! I'm going to sound seriously conceited, but I think I look pretty damn good. I always catch myself in front of a mirror admiring my eyes, hair, skin, nose, lips.... I would have no problem dating if I wanted to. The thing is, I don't want to.

GEEZUS ... who the hell do these people think they are anyway. You know what bugs me most about the catholics that are ready to tell you that you are living your life incorrectly ... ? Is the fact that they probably have priests that are up to NO GOOD behind the alter. Who is telling them that they are being sinful? MAKES ME CRAZY. Just let people live their lives as they choose and SHUT IT. If they are not hurting anyone ... what is the problem??

ps ... Sorry for the reference to Catholics. I did not intend to offend anyone[/color]

No offense taken...but we're not all like that :)

Shortass Lady
she has offered to pay for plastic surgery for my upcoming birthday!

If that was my mother I'd take that as a serious insult!

To solve my "confidence problem," she has offered to pay for plastic surgery for my upcoming birthday!

You should really ask that money in cash. That's quite a lot of money to use for something. You could even say that it would help your "confidence problem".

Worst response? My mum screaming, shouting and crying. Most people just seem kinda "err... whats that?". I haven't told all that many people though so I don't have much to compare it to

My friend (who I think is asexual, and that she would apply the definition to herself, if not the label), went to the website and thinks we're all taking ourselves too seriously and why would it matter anyway what someone else thinks about you not having sex? I struggle with feelings of admiration and the desire to hit her with something and explain that many people don't think like that.

"Don't even give it any thought until you have a car, house and career. The important thing is that you're not homosexual."

Yeah, thanks doc, I'm cured now. Idiot. What ever happened to giving medical advice in your profession?

"Hahaha, silly Mr. F*** Rat, people like that don't exist, hey Cind, we got the asexual wonder of the world over here, ROFL! (yes, she actually SAID it)"

Nor do enormous closet lesbians who are obsessed with poi, glowsticks and Polysics who date the campest dude they can find who is also gay just for the sake of being in denial. Nice going, Rach.

"Michael, are you gay?"

My mum. Do you SEE me eyeing up dudes? Actually, I watch wrestling (well, not since Wrestlemania) so I guess this accusation is founded somewhat. Muscly, sweaty guys in spandex. You can't say that isn't suspicious.

"Stop being such a freak Mike, just look! Christ, no other guys are like you..."

No Carly, I don't wanna see the google results for 'cleavage', 'vagina' or 'lesbians'. And while I often feel like it's true, calling me a freak for being what I am is just going to make my self-esteem that much higher, moron. To think this is what my best friend said last night...

"While you were at college I phoned the NHS, we're gonna get this problem sorted, ok?"

My mum later the same day as the other one, the day when she found out. While admittedly I don't like being asexual, this just ehaps more pressure and insecurity on me ¬_¬

Not a Slim Fanfare

"Wait...you can't be asexual...You were born with sex parts to use them...on men, women, animals, anything. Just have sex once."

"You probably just have some mental anxieties...that's why I'm gay--maybe that's the same way with you--but you have to admit first"

^This second one disturbs me specifically.

"You're just afraid. Everyone's afraid at first and then they like it."

^Uh, no. Then that makes sex some kind of addiction that no one would want UNTIL they've tried it...which

"I was like that for a while--it's just a phase."

^I so dislike when NOT ONLY DO PEOPLE call it a phase, but then they assume that my life is like theirs.

"I was like that for a while--it's just a phase."

^I so dislike when NOT ONLY DO PEOPLE call it a phase, but then they assume that my life is like theirs.

Absolutely. I have a severe form of eczema, and have been throwing all sorts of medication at it for decades. But still, people come up to me and go "oh yeah, eczema, I used to have that. You should use [insert brand name]." ...as if [a] theirs was as bad as mine, their body chemistry is the same as mine, and [c] I hadn't already TRIED that product and had it do nothing. GRAHH!

So yeah, people assuming your life is like theirs sucks.

You were born with sex parts to use them...on men, women, animals, anything.

Animals? Anything?? :shock:

So the people around you would rather see you criminally perverted rather than asexual? This is, once again, a prime example of people missing the point in a major way.

Not a Slim Fanfare
You were born with sex parts to use them...on men, women, animals, anything.

Animals? Anything?? :shock:

So the people around you would rather see you criminally perverted rather than asexual? This is, once again, a prime example of people missing the point in a major way.

Yeah, I have a strong feeling that they'd feel a little better if they thought I was a zoophile/bestialist or something like that (the same person who said the men, women, animals things has said on numerous occassions that 'all people need to find what gets them off...because everyone has SOMETHING').

So, yeah. Weird people.

Yeah, I have a strong feeling that they'd feel a little better if they thought I was a zoophile/bestialist or something like that (the same person who said the men, women, animals things has said on numerous occassions that 'all people need to find what gets them off...because everyone has SOMETHING').

So, yeah. Weird people.

I strongly suspect that my mother would have an easier time accepting it if I told her I was a lesbian. :roll: As it is, I just keep getting told that it's a phase, that I'll grow out of it, that one day I'll wake up and like people. Aiya.

Not a Slim Fanfare
I strongly suspect that my mother would have an easier time accepting it if I told her I was a lesbian. :roll: As it is, I just keep getting told that it's a phase, that I'll grow out of it, that one day I'll wake up and like people. Aiya.

Yeah, I have a strong suspicion that my father would rather me be gay than asexual...but I have no heart to tell him or my mother, since they are always saying, "When you meet the right girl and have kids..."

I have to kind of hold my composure--eventually I think I'm going to inadvertantly say something.

Yeah... but what if God made the person asexual in the first place?

Also, how come it's okay for the priest to not have sex, and it's not okay for the asexual person to not have sex?

I have told a few people and it went over not too badly. The thing is I try hinting at it to my mother (plain disinterest in women) and she tells me that I'm still too young. I mean come on, I'm 19, how is that too young ??

Also, how come it's okay for the priest to not have sex, and it's not okay for the asexual person to not have sex?

It's okay for the asexual to not have sex if they're not married. It's not okay for the asexual to not want to have sex. If you are celebate by choice, great! You are proving yourself to god. Celebate because you're asexual and just don't want to, sinner!

"Wait...you can't be asexual...You were born with sex parts to use them...on men, women, animals, anything. Just have sex once."

"You probably just have some mental anxieties...that's why I'm gay--maybe that's the same way with you--but you have to admit first"

The first one is greatly disturbing because they're saying that its okay to rape animals. Which probably means that they're not that strict on rape in general, adults or children or anything else.

The second one is disturbing because the person is a total idiot and is doing nothing but giving the anti-gays reasons.

Got another stupid response:

"You're already in one minority (being left handed) so why would you want to be in another?"

I think the most annoying (yest kinda funny) reaction i get is OMG! YOURE ASEXUAL! DOES THAT MEAN YOU MAKE YOUR OWN BABIES! With like SPORES AND STUFF! :roll:

Me:nooo.... That's asexual REPRODUCTION.

Yeah... but what if God made the person asexual in the first place?

Because God doesn't make people asexual or gay, they choose, duh! [/sarcasm] :roll:

Archived