i learned in class...

so i was sitting in my social sexuality class earlier today and we were going over why/if females have a milder sex drive and we got on to the idea of "exotic become erotic." It is this theory that boys who hang out mostly with other boys will find girls more interesting and more arosing because girls are not what they accustomed to. boys who hang out more with girls when they are little will find that boys are more interesting and so will end up being gay. the same is true for girls.

now i had always thought that this was a stupid theory but when sitting in class sudenly realized that i had been friend with about an equal number of girls and boys. so i would find no one exotic under the theory and so no one would be erotic. that is distrubing. could our whole sexuality be based on who we are frined with when we are little?

some one prove me wrong please!

Uh. I've never heard this before. Nor do I believe it. I surround myself with women, even in childhood my friends were almost exclusively female, and never once have I found people of the male persuasion to be either exotic or erotic growing up. Nor has this been true of my own gender.

My two cents: load of bull!

But that's just me.

One very quick counterr example is my sister. She has always preferred to be with guys, and she has had far fewer friends that are girls, but she is straight, and has been with her boyfriend now for over 5 years (probably closer to 7...)

But even if who you hung out with may indicate what you are, doesn't mean that it caused you to be what you are. If you are born without having a preference, you will choose to be with girls/boys equally, no one really forces you to be a specific group. If relationships were forced at a young age, most like it would be with your same sex, but people still do break out and admit to being homosexual.

If that also was completely true, then why can some people be so suprised when others come out, and they had no clue?

I'm with Julie! I had virtually no friends...I should be a raging hormonal freak!

I think that your sexuality may have something do you with you who were friends with, as in, if you're crushing over the same people, to sexuals you have half a friendship already. But I don't think your friends cause your sexuality, more the other way around.

Nurrrgh. Did that make ANY sense at all?

I've heard this theory.

When I was a girl, my friends were almost exclusively female. Boys made me go "ewwww" most of the time.

And you know what? Boys still make me go "ewwww" most of the time.

Well, my little brother (he's 6) does spend more time with girls than boys at school, and he behaves very feminine, so I don't know. Maybe there is some truth to it.

Well, my little brother (he's 6) does spend more time with girls than boys at school, and he behaves very feminine, so I don't know. Maybe there is some truth to it.

The one question I have for that is if he chose to be with them, and if he does end up liking guys, is it because he was with them, or because he naturally liked other guys, and the traits that he had naturally made him more likely to relate to the girls, so he chose to hang out with them, but they didn't change who he was/is?

.... in exactly what context did you learn this?

Think: homosociol unto homoerotic (British boy's schools.)

Does this sort of stuff pass for scholarly literature on the topic?? Jesus...

Does this sort of stuff pass for scholarly literature on the topic?? Jesus...

I would think that public schools couldn't teach this legally...it seems to state that sexuality is more of choice than it is, and also seems to tell parents that they should be careful who to let their children play with, cuz if they're not careful, the kids could become homosexual (I really hate homophobia :x )

thanks for the replies, you all make me feel better. Yeah i learned about this as kind of off hand comment in my text books and the proffessor spent maybe 2 minutes on it in class. no it isn't a public school. private liberal arts college of the church. (makes throwing up noises in the back ground) sorry way too much time writing papers about what that all means... anyway, this is a social sexuality class which attempts and fails to explain why we act and think the way we do. it never mentions asexuals once in the entire text book. i checked. sigh.

anyway i think the theory is crap but had a little moment of panic in class and just needed to reaffirm my faith in well whatever it is that i believe about this. thanks.

it never mentions asexuals once in the entire text book. i checked. sigh.

I believe that in a couple years, the idea of not including asexuality under sexualities will be seen as crazy :) Our world is changing quickly, and in time we will be as recognized as any other sexuality ;)

VivreEstEsperer
I had virtually no friends...I should be a raging hormonal freak!

Amen.

Social sexuality class...we have one of those. Interesting subject matter for a class.