Are you older or younger than you appear?

Mezzo Forte

Are you older or younger than you appear?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do people usually mistake you for older or younger than you actually are?

• Younger
    • Older
    • Roughly the correct age
    • Inconsistent/Varies wildly

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Princess Merida said:

The times I've been hit on (the few times) have been really creepy so maybe looking younger hasn't helped me there either.

I've had my fair share of creepy advances, but only from men who thought I was a woman. The times straight women have flirted with me, they were all rather innocent and nonthreatening encounters. Might just be some good luck on my part. :P 

Come to think of it, there was a point in college when I was ice skating with my niece, and a young boy (likely 11-12) started shamelessly attempting to flirt with me, like in a "hey babe" kind of tone. That was definitely an uncomfortable experience :lol: 

Just now, Mezzo Forte said:

I've had my fair share of creepy advances, but only from men who thought I was a woman. The times straight women have flirted with me, they were all rather innocent and nonthreatening encounters. Might just be some good luck on my part. :P 

Come to think of it, there was a point in college when I was ice skating with my niece, and a young boy (likely 11-12) started shamelessly attempting to flirt with me, like in a "hey babe" kind of tone. That was definitely an uncomfortable experience :lol: 

Ha! I know exactly the sort of boys that act like that. I can imagine it in my head now. 

To be fair, it was some underage school girls that made me feel uncomfortable. When I was 22 they started chatting me up and threatened to follow me home when I said I wasn't interested.  The one time a WOMAN came on to me wasn't so bad, although I'm not sure I picked up on the fact she was coming on to me at the time.

It's interesting that almost all of the respondents said younger. I wonder if that has to do with that most people want to look younger.

I'm eighteen. I have a brother who is two years older than me, and when I was in middle school people often mistook me for the older one, assuming I was in high school. (Though this could have less to do with me and more to do with my brother, as he was very short all throughout his childhood. Even now, he's still a little shorter than most men his age.) Nowadays most people get it on point, but there was this one time at work when two men were buying some beer. They started joking around with me (much to my discomfort), and then one of the guys said, "What do you drink, wine? You look like a lightweight." When I told him I was underage, he was shocked.

I'm 19 and definitely mistaken as younger, usually by 2-4 years. Recently, a cashier at Tescos was genuinely shocked when I pulled out ID for some alcohol, to the point where she was actually exclaiming "No way, I would never have thought you were 18!" and on my last holiday I managed to get into multiple historical sites for free as an "under 18".  Bus drivers have also frequently asked whether I want an adult or child ticket (child tickets are for 15 and under). It normally doesn't bother me too much but on occasions where I forget my ID, such as when I was 17-18 and got turned away from a cinema for trying to see a 15 with my dad, it can be annoying.

People typically guess my age about right--it didn't matter what year I was in in undergrad, other students typically thought I was a sophomore or a junior, and getting carded about as many times than not in bars/clubs in the area.

However, people who don't regularly interact with college student are often wildly wrong.  I have a distinct memory from a summer job several years ago where my colleagues (around 28-32) kept inviting me to go to bars with them after work, and the horrified/confused face that would follow with my response "Thanks for the offer, but I don't think they'll let me order a drink; I'm eighteen."  Many kids are also wildly wrong about my age;  I've tutored elementary school kids who've thought I was in eighth grade, and high schoolers who though I was only a grade or two older than them :P 

I’m almost 27 and often get mistaken as a teenager. I’m tall but I have a baby face and I’m really skinny. I guess it also doesn’t help that most of my clothes are from the juniors’ section since clothes meant for adult women often don’t fit me properly. I also don’t wear makeup, and I’ve had some people tell me that wearing it would make me look more my age.

I seem to look a lot younger than my real age, and it annoys the hell out of me. I'll never forget how just a few months before turning 28 someone actually wanted to know if I was over 18. <_<

ok, so being part asian comes with a lot of people thinking i'm younger than i am, which, yeah ok i can't blame them considering my mom looks like she can't be more than 45 despite being almost 60. HOWEVER, i was mistaken for a professor while i was attending college, so i picked the "inconsistent" option

I have idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypoginadism. Until around 40-42 I looked younger than I am, but I'm now starting to develop crow's feet around the eyes and other symptoms, which along with natural temporal recession are starting to make me look my age. 

J. van Deijck

I'm much older than I look. ._. 

people typically assume I'm either a 14 years old boy or a girl in her early 20s, but the truth is that I'm an almost 28 years old male. many people are genuinely shocked when they learn it.

however, if you look closely, I do have some wrinkles around my eyes already.  some people say it's from laughing.

everyone in my family looks younger, though. my sister, who is almost 23, looks like she was 16 (personality-we she appears even older than she is, though; she's one of the most mature people in our family). our dad, who is almost 65, looks like he wasn't older than 55. (side note - knowing I inherited my illness from him, his age kind of gives me hope to outlive 60 years with it. :D)

J. van Deijck
2 minutes ago, Wish Bear 🌠 said:

I look like a prune.

cute. :3

J. van Deijck
7 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

...story of my life XD I'm getting tired of straight guys who think I'm a straight girl. I'm neither straight nor a girl :lol:

I was older than I appeared. Then I got fat :D

I think it deviates with me, some older, some younger (I hope)

Quintus Crinis

generally older (my flatmates at uni told me they thought I was 30 or so when they first met me - I was not quite 19). Was also offered wine on holiday once - was 15. And managed to get into a few clubs at uni without having ID checked (supposedly they operated a "challange 25" policy).

I'm short. Too short. Combine this and my almost long hair and you have a 16 year old that looks 12 

Too much hugs...

I think I look younger than my age. If I didn't hide the gray I've had since my 20's I think that would make a huge difference.

Either that, or most people are just being nice when they say 'no way you have a 34 year old kid'.

AwkwardAxolotl

Before I started transitioning, people guessed my age pretty accurately, but the past 5 years or so, people have been consistently thinking I'm younger than I actually am. There was one time in college that my roommate/queerplatonic partner and I went to a fair together (I was 19, she was 20), and when we went to get tickets, the woman selling tickets thought my partner was my mother and that I needed a child's ticket (the cutoff for a child's ticket was 12). I'm not sure which of us was more taken aback, my partner that someone thought she was old enough to have a 12 year old, or me that someone thought I was 12. That was five years ago, but apparently I still look young. I get called boy and buddy sometimes, and the high school/college interns/students at work routinely assume I am one of them.

Most people mistake me for a child and ask me if I'm old enough to work while I'm at my work

Wow, there seems to be a clear majority of younger-looking peeps around here. Personally people underestimate my age by about 10, sometimes 15 years.

I'm quite a bit older than most people think I am, but personally I think I look old for my age due to scarring and now also deep creases under my eyes and around my mouth which showed up very suddenly while I was grieving a couple of years ago and never went away. I'm almost 30, but most people think I'm 21-23. I work for a university, and a lot of people assume I'm an undergrad lol. I've also had a few people recently assume I'm a high school senior, and last week I got carded at the pharmacy when I was buying Nyquil lol. I'm very petite (90 lbs) and my features are what I've heard described as "delicate", so that might be part of the reason why. I also still dress like a teenager, except when I'm at work. But I mean if people want to assume I'm 5+ years younger than I really am, I'm totally cool with that. :lol:

J. van Deijck

one of my coworkers was genuinely shocked when she got to know I'm almost 28. :lol: she thought I was her age, and she's 22 :P

Went to the cinema tonight and was half expecting the guy on the till to ask "adult or child". He didn't but, judging by the price of the ticket, he'd automatically assumed child.

I’m 52 and people think I'm a lot younger than I am and even think I’m a kid. Some elderly residents where I work have said things like I thought you were 18 or have called me little boy and young fella.

J. van Deijck

ha. I reached my final height at the age of 14, too :lol: but I didn't risk buying vodka because my face always looked too young. even at the age of 25, some cashiers still wanted to see my ID before they sold me any alcohol. :P

Archived