Are you older or younger than you appear?

Mezzo Forte

Are you older or younger than you appear?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Do people usually mistake you for older or younger than you actually are?

• Younger
    • Older
    • Roughly the correct age
    • Inconsistent/Varies wildly

This poll is closed to new votes

Older than I look. I'm baby-faced and short. :P

People have always thought I'm younger than I actually am. I just turned 29 but I consistently get people thinking I'm around 20.

Once, when I was 21, someone thought I was 13.

EnterCreativeName

I'm 17 and most people seem to think that I'm still in middle school.

Funny thing though, the other day we got a new coworker at my work, and she in the middle of my conversation with her, she was like, "Wait, aren't you in your early 20s?" I laughed so hard. That was defiantly a first. I guess when I mentioned school she assumed college. Haha, it's a nice difference than being asked if I am 12 or 13. 

I'm taking this to mean in person, in which case I'm consistantly assumed to be younger than I am. Much younger, in fact, and it's really rather annoying. I'm actually twenty-eight, but only a little over a year ago somebody thought I was twelve or under, and my hopes of not having my driver's license scrutinised every time I order alcohol have thus far been in vain every year. Further adding to my annoyance, this is never done to my younger brother, who is now consistently assumed to be older than me. I truly wouldn't mind if people thought I were only a few years younger, but being mistaken for a child is aggravating. Luckily, I'm now usually only mistaken for being sixteen or so, instead of twelve... although I'm kind of suspicious of people saying "thanks, buddy" and talking very enthusiastically when taking my ticket, or asking me whether I had a good time at X event. Such behaviour usually seems to be reserved for children.

Online, however, I've been consistently assumed to be noticably older than I am. When I first started joining forums at thirteen people often thought I was in my twenties, and now it's not uncommon for people to assume I'm in my forties or fifties. So apparently whatever is making people think I'm younger in person is visual. I am short, I don't have any visible signs of age such as wrinkles (I don't think people are expected to at my age, though), and I dress casually, but I know other people who those things apply to who don't seem to have quite the same problems I do.

I haven't been asked what grade I'm in lately, but it could just be because I'm no longer working at a children's theatre (where the kids would often ask me that, and not any of the other adults). Eh, I'll take it.

FinneganCatch

I got asked what grade I was in of high school a couple years back while working as a Natural Heritage Educator. Had to explain to the nice lady that I was in fact in my twenty's and had graduated two college programs already. Regularly get surprised looks when I say I'm 27 though the local liquor store has finally stopped carding me but I think that's just because they know who I am now. I have a younger sister who was regularly assumed to be my older sister when we were together anywhere, I think it's the height difference since she doesn't look that old. She's 5'9" and I'm 5'1"

@Remmirath @FinneganCatch I am in the younger sibling spot. I am 3 and a half years younger than my sister and she STILL has me go into places to get alcohol or cigarettes for her because she'll get carded and I won't. She's 38 and I'm 35... I also had nearly a full beard and was over 6 feet tall by the time I was 15. Even online people generally assume I am older than I am.

People usually think that I'm a bit older than I am, usually just a few years. They have since I was a teenager. 

I'm 28 now. I have quite a few grey hairs, but dye my hair so you rarely see these. I don't seem to have any wrinkles. 

I'm 23 but constantly have people ask what year of high school I'm in... It's not offensive to me it just gets old. I am happy that I wont look terrible as I age at least lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Mostly people think I am a young teenage girl looking like a child. I am over forty. And I have to show my passport all the time.

Up until 2012 people universally guessed 10 years younger. So much stress has happened since then that they are now guessing 10 years older.

I'm turning 16 in a few months, most people assume I'm 10-12.

I'm short and childlike. Apart from condescending people thinking I'm a little kid, I don't really care.

The worst is when I'm doing the self-checkout and buying some candy at the shops and the employee ALWAYS comes up behind me and just STANDS THERE, watching me like I'm some dumb little kid who doesn't know what they're doing despite me being very smart for my age! It's so awkward I HATE IT.

I'm older than people think. People usually guess my age somewhere between 12 and 16. I am 30.

I'm very short, dress like a teenager and have a baby-face I can see why people think I'm younger than I am... something needs to change. 

I look young for my age, on one hand it is bad because people treat you like a child but on the other I must have saved So Much Money by getting child tickets for transport, attractions etc. 

i get mistaken for younger normally but I also think people guess younger so not to offend people

On January 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Gloomy said:

I’m almost 27 and often get mistaken as a teenager. I’m tall but I have a baby face and I’m really skinny. I guess it also doesn’t help that most of my clothes are from the juniors’ section since clothes meant for adult women often don’t fit me properly. I also don’t wear makeup, and I’ve had some people tell me that wearing it would make me look more my age.

I've actually started wearing makeup more often in the last year but I don't think it makes me look much older.

Some say I look 16 and then some say I look 20.

People always think I'm younger than I am. When I was about 17-19 people at restaurants would ask if I needed a kids menu 😭 Now things aren't too bad, but people do still comment on my size... 😕 I do wish I could get bigger sometimes but my metabolism is having none of that.

Fluffy Femme Guy

I'm 30 going on 31 and most people think I'm about 24/25.

everywhere and nowhere

I'm not sure. On the one hand my body definitely looks older. Due to allergy and extremely dry skin I have very visible wrinkles (not that I dislike it). My level of physical fitness is closer to 60 years old than to 40. But, on the other hand, I dress in a way which is considered even inappropriate for a woman of my age: very colorful, ethnic, hippie-like, androgynous...

I don't mind being mistaken for older, but hate being judged to be under 30 because of my clothes. I just never identified with "being young", even when I was 20 years old or so. I just skipped from thinking of myself as a "child" to thinking of myself as "someone who isn't old".

But then, I'm a rebel and one of the things I hate is the way how women are taught to be terrified of ageing. And I really believe that a 40-year-old face looks better than an "immaculate" 20-year-old one. And still, women are expected to be at most Forever 30, women who look like 25 or 30 at the age of 60 are celebrated... This is why I both instinctively and consciously do the opposite and I'm happy about having wrinkles and gray hair. My body is NOT my sole value.

No one has been able to guess my age correctly. I always look much younger than my age. I'm 34, and have had someone recently guess that I was 18. Lately, the oldest someone guessed was 24. I still get carded if I sit in the lounge of restaurants or I'm around alcohol somehow. I don't drink. Sometimes my parent gets alcohol, and the cashier asks me for ID, just in case I was going to have some later. I've been kicked out of bars in college while out with friends. They thought my ID was fake. Again, I didn't drink back then either. I was just with them socially. When I was around 26, I occasionally asked for the bread my mom would have the market hold for us. They thought I was too young to ask for it...I don't know how young they thought I was. My walking route goes near the high school, and sometimes I'm walking near it as they let out. So, I end up walking with or through their groups. I've had many of them think I was their age and ask me about classes and such. When school's in session, I've had cops stop me on my walks a few times. Asking me why I'm not in class. It's kind of insulting. I don't know what makes people think I'm so much younger. I wish I looked a little closer to my age. I've been told that I should feel lucky, but really it might be worse than thinking someone looks older than they are. No one takes you seriously. 

I've always looked older than my actual age. I started getting acne at 7-8 years old, & i passed off as a shorter-than-average 12 year old. I started working with my dad at around 13-14, & the inevitable tan from working outside lets me pass off as an 17 or 18 year old. I gained a VERY baritone voice & a good load of facial hair at 16, i pass off a 21 year old.

I'm only 20 now & i can pass of as a 24-25 year old. The fact I dress like a biker most of the time, along with everything stated above, contributes to that as well. 

When I was 12 people used to think I was 15-17 but now that I am nearly 28 I have had several people ask if I am 24. Not sure what changed.

@Mezzo Forte

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived