Unique article examination: "Were Trump Voters Irrational?"

Cimmerian

I stumbled on an article that I found interesting because it attempts to address some of the same comments or questions I've seen here and elsewhere about various politicians, the previous US election, and the Brexit vote. Specifically, the ideas that another side had to be "irrational" to vote a certain way, how much a temperament should have an effect on voting decisions, etc.

It seemed like an interesting perspective on explaining the question of "how could they have voted that way?" for some of those headlining votes (Brexit/US President) that caused such widespread confusion or anger, so I thought I'd share it because I hadn't seen this sort of in-depth, more academic examination on the irr/rationaliry of the voters. (Although it does largely focus on the American parties/election during its discussion.)

It addresses the idea/phenomenon where a group considers the other voting side to be "illogical", why they say that, and why groups have a hard time viewing another group as logical. It also addresses the several ways the term can be examined as well as how it has been defined in several fields of study.

Full link in case the embedded one doesn't work:
http://quillette.com/2017/09/28/trump-voters-irrational/

The article looks long but only goes to about half of what the scroll bar shows as a full page. Some of the parts that I thought were most *interesting or related to previous discussions I've seen here are:

Spoiler

*The beginning until you reach "The Epistemic Rationality of the Trump Voters".

About the temperament/character/fitness for a position voter consideration starts at: "But what about temperament, character, and fitness for office?"

*Then the section beginning " Critiques of Expressive Rationality Don’t Work Either " because it discussed symbolic utility, and through the end.

That was a pretty good read. It's nice to see my bias confirmed about all political parties being the same level of suck. :lol: To quote the article " Politics is not the place to look for objective rightness or wrongness ."

Archived