Aced It- The Lighter Side

Just a Mo

Hey y'all. 

Being ace (or aro or demi or grey, etc) is more than just sadly eating cake while futilely hoping for representation in the media. There are some really great things about it. 

So I want to hear y'all's stories about the best moments of being ace. Tell us about the time you completely misread a sexual scenario. Tell us about funny coming out stories or times your friends or family remembered to include your identity. If you have good news, share it!

I'll add my own story for starters. 

Just today I was talking with my friend, whom I came out to pretty early on. We've known each other for a good while, and one of my favourite things about our friendship is how comfortable I feel about my identity around him. I tend to be a little hesitant to come out to people, since it is almost always a conversation that turns into asexuality 101. But He and I are always making jokes about being ace, and it has become a big part of our friendship. Another important part of our friendship is my love for baking, of which he is frequently a beneficiary. Anyway, today we met to exchange belated Christmas gifts. He handed me an old beat up shoebox that had been duct taped shut, with a little duct tape bow on the top. So once I got it open, what was inside was an apron, which I'm pretty sure he made himself, that read "Don't kiss the cook."

It absolutely made my day.  

Sometimes just a little gesture like that is enough to remind you that you are valid, you are appreciated, you are absolutely and completely fabulous. 

I think my best ace moment was the night after I came out to my family and I was putting my little brothers to bed. One of them was super curious about it and kept asking questions and I was pretty happy to answer. He eventually asked me about whether or not I'd ever had a crush on anyone before my current boyfriend (I hadn't) and he got quiet for a second and then said something along the lines of "Wow. You're lucky because you didn't get distracted by all the attractive people". I asked him what he meant and he proceeded to tell me about a couple pretty girls in his class but how two of them were rather mean and how the other already was dating someone else. He thought it was cool that I never dealt with any of that. 

It's not too funny of a moment, but it was the one in which I realized that I was really okay and happy with being ace. 

6 hours ago, MollyMarie said:

Hey y'all. 

Being ace (or aro or demi or grey, etc) is more than just sadly eating cake...

Sadly eating cake??? How is that possible? Cake always makes me happy when I eat it.

Fantastic Name

I came out to one of my best friends on New Years' Day. Not only did she already know what asexuality is, but she was extremely supportive and willing to answer all the questions I had about what being straight was like. I dunno... Coming out to someone I'd jump in front of a bus for and being accepted is just a very liberating experience. It makes me feel a little less alone about my orientation. I love it.

I'm out out. Have been for nearly 12 years. Anyway, about ten years ago, I was on a volleyball team and before every serve, we would huddle up and say "1,2,3 ACE!" (because an "ace" was a point made without a volley). They got tired of me giggling every time we served, so I came out to them and explained the other meaning of "ace." They dubbed it my thing and the whole team giggled for the rest of the game (and some games later) every time we served.

Archived