Men and Birth Control?

Chimeric

A study examining a potential compound for reversible male birth control came out in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry recently.

This isn't the article itself, but it's a nice summary that takes a lot of the chemical mumbo jumbo out (also I highly recommend Science Daily for anyone who likes to keep an eye on what's going on with the scientific literature but who doesn't have time to, you know, read a bazillion journal articles): https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180117164007.htm

Anyway, the point is, they're on a promising lead for what could become an oral contraceptive that men take. It seems very specifically targeted to mature sperm with no observable side effects or detrimental impact on long term fertility thus far (this could change as studies progress, of course :lol:).

Assuming all goes as planned and it turns out to be safe and effective, my real question is - the concept of a "birth control pill" being a female contraceptive thing is so heavily entrenched in society today, do you anticipate social roadblocks to garnering acceptance for this sort of thing? What marketing tactics do you think should be employed by the pharma companies that produce this?

butterflydreams

I think it’s great, and I think men will really want it. They don’t currently have a lot of birth control options. I don’t anticipate any social roadblocks. I think men have wanted and needed this option for a long time.

As far as marketing tactics, I think the ability to have a definitive say over when they want to be a parent is marketing enough.

1 minute ago, butterflydreams said:

I think it’s great, and I think men will really want it. They don’t currently have a lot of birth control options. I don’t anticipate any social roadblocks. I think men have wanted and needed this option for a long time.

As far as marketing tactics, I think the ability to have a definitive say over when they want to be a parent is marketing enough.

This. 

I think men would rather have that option too. 

Can't think of anything wrong with it or social objections.

If it was marketed at people in stable relationships etc for birth control

The only thing that comes to mind, in the UK there was a report (before Christmas) about a rise in STIs among the under 25's due to a reduction in condom use, with people using other birth controls.

I just hope it would not lead to any further increase in STIs due to even less condom use in casual relationships.

Really wish I could find the BBC link to report, but can't

Potenial problem - Men would trick women into believing they are protected,but knock them up just to trap them !!! 😛😛😛

If i'm the more vulnerable party i would prefer to ensure my own safety....

butterflydreams
1 minute ago, lazypanda said:

Potenial problem - Men would trick women into believing they are protected,but knock them up just to trap them !!! 😛😛😛

If i'm the more vulnerable party i would prefer to ensure my own safety....

The same could be said about female birth control.

Just Somebody
Just now, butterflydreams said:

If male birth control has less side effects, then that's a big woo hoo for females.

55 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

Yea....women do it all the time...to trap a guy who's a "good catch"....thats why i put the 😛....its like pay back from the guys...

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

uC6G1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fid

I’m just like this, so I’d be constantly forgetting. Probably best my Girlfriend is left in charge of birth control for us.

7 hours ago, Chimeric said:

my real question is - the concept of a "birth control pill" being a female contraceptive thing is so heavily entrenched in society today, do you anticipate social roadblocks to garnering acceptance for this sort of thing?

No.

The reason for the pill being seen as a female contraceptive thing is the pill being an exclusively female contraceptive thing, at least up until now. This will even out once male pills are available, even though it may take some time. It's basically like condoms, just the other way around. Female condoms came up in 1990 (that's what wiki told me) and they're still not widely-known today.

37 minutes ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

uC6G1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fid

I’m just like this, so I’d be constantly forgetting. Probably best my Girlfriend is left in charge of birth control for us.

I can see this being a problem, yeah. As much as many men would love to have a way of preventing becoming a parent without having to rubber up, whether they'd take it as reliably as necessary to be effective is a different issue. :P Though, I don't know if it would be as strict in timing as female birth control is, since female birth control has to take a whole monthly cycle into account.

I'm a little stunned whenever I hear about females (or in this case, males) "trapping" their partners into getting pregnant.  I just can't believe that happens frequently enough for it to even be mentioned.  For a woman, being pregnant/giving birth/having to raise a child is such a serious business that trapping someone into it sounds crazy.  For a man -- well, I can't even imagine a man doing that.  

Women's hormone birth control has been considered dangerous as far as breast cancer for the whole period it's been available.   That hasn't stopped it being sold.  

Just Somebody
1 hour ago, Sally said:

Women's hormone birth control has been considered dangerous as far as breast cancer for the whole period it's been available.   That hasn't stopped it being sold.  

Actually.... societies care less about women anyway bc it's "a men's world" anyway. women already took these risks for too long rly,  around 70 years is too long.

But oh well, "it's always the girls' fault" if she got [name a disease], let's say cancer, from using birth control, "oh well she shouldn't have had that much of sex anyway".

Oh but the medication failed now she's pregnant and can't have an abortion, now her future is gone, "it's her fault... nobody forced her to have sex in the first place".

Just Somebody
Just now, CaptainYesterday said:

I don't know how you could live in this world and come to this conclusion.  Women live longer and generally have been protected at all costs for all of human history.  Men are expendable biologically and socially.

Women are "theoretically" protected,  and why do they even need that protection in first place? What kind of protection you're talking about ?

Seriously , I would like to live in that world, that world you're been living, where women are respected. 

Just Somebody
34 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Not having to go to war/hunt, are not equally held accountable for their actions, etc.

For 99.999% of human history, we needed to operate as if tomorrow could be extinction.  Since women are the bottleneck for reproducing, for that 99.999% of human history, they were a coveted resource for that reason, just as men were a resource in giving up their lives protecting the women and children.

Then out of nowhere humans take a huge leap forward and suddenly, there's really no fear of the common cold wiping out half of the village.  Suddenly, you didn't need to worry about being killed by the boar you had to hunt.  But we've had this "protect women at all costs" mentality ingrained within us that it still bled into modern society. 

• Women still don't have to go to war. 
  • Women still are protected by social norms like "you should never hit a women (even if she's attacking you)." 
  • Police and other such institutions will inherently try to protect/side with women.  If a man calls the police because his wife/girlfriend is beating him, there is a better chance that the police will arrest him, especially if the woman has even a single scratch from him defending himself. 
  • Women receive far less jail time for equal crimes. 
  • There are thousands and thousands of shelters across the country for women, and maybe 1 or 2 for men. 
  • We spend four times as much on women's health even though men die much earlier on average than women.
  • When women are disadvantaged in some way, say in college representation, we create programs to help them.  Now that men are disadvantaged in colleges, we still celebrate women's dominance and do nothing for the men.
  • We are willing to incarcerate a man on nothing but the word of a woman, but a man who makes the same exact claim against a woman is laughed at and ignored

Yeah... totally an object for reproduction who have no control over our bodies/existence.

Yeah, yeah,  fantastic,

• Women totally lose the control of their lives when they speak up about being harassed by their bosses or husbands. "My fault for action naughty"
  • Still have to deal with perverts At my job instead of facing the risk of speaking up and losing it.
  • Still can't walk carelessly at night without having to worry about getting murdered, kidnapped or raped, "it's my fault anyway for walking at night"
  • Still can't take a taxi without fearing getting kidnapped,  murdered or raped.  "my fault for leaving home alone"
  • Still can't take a bus without worrying about perverts touching me if I sleep. "My fault for leaving home"
  • Still can't walk  with that short skirt without worrying about being raped. "It's my fault for acting so slutty "
  • Still can't voice my opinion in my job. Still can't even get a job bc "I have periods and can get pregnant". Still can't afford things without "relying on men".
  • Still not able to show my body, "that triggers men", still not in control of my body, "men have to decide about it for me"
  • Still can't go to parties or drink without constant fear of being raped, kidnapped or murdered bc "if I were a housewife it wouldn't happen"
  • Still can't "mansplain" without be "totally asking for it".
  • Can't visit many places without wearing a burka and fear of you know what.
  • Still have to spend more years studying to complete for same jobs with men that have lower educational levels.
  • Still have to rely on abusive family/partners instead of speaking up and most likely ending up homeless. Can't sleep anywhere. Can't stay alone.
  • Can't speak up bc that makes me "hysterical".
  • Having to worry about being sold as a sex slave,  about having to carry unwanted pregnancies and lose hold of my job and future.
  • Being alienated everyday by the capitalist media of a society that brainwashes me since a kid to hate myself to buy products marketed  from it to fix the problems they point in me , and resist it's heavy attempts on making me neurotical to the point of willing to self harm or suicide. Still have to pay for theraphy after.
  • Still have to risk losing my job if I want to raise kids. Not being able to raise kids at all even with a job.
  • Still have to fear being raped in a doctor visit, still have to convince doctors I know better for my body.
  • Can't go to war, could be raped or sold as sex slave again bc "that's what happen to feminine bodies.".
  • Can't defend myself from the majority of men.

It's "awesome" being a woman,  totally understand why you're so jealous.

However they market it, some comedian will call it "The Jaffa Pill" or similar, and taking it will become a matter of ridicule. :huh:

Being realistic, in exactly the same way as any medication can have side effects on some users, this will, and they will get blown out of all proportion. But, also like other medicines, there could be unexpected gains for some people. 

A male pill ought to be viable for those in a steady relationship, but as others have said, it won't do anything to protect against STDs especially in casual sex 

11 hours ago, lazypanda said:

Potenial problem - Men would trick women into believing they are protected,but knock them up just to trap them !!!

I think both genders are guilty of this, and as such--protection or birth control to me, should still be the responsibility of all parties which have something available for it. The moment you put that responsibility in one person's hands if you have something available to you, you only have yourself to blame should you get pregnant (or get someone pregnant). If you don't trust them, to me--all the more reason to continue using protection.

Or abstain from sleeping with them, which eliminates the problem in the first place.  O_o

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

Or abstain from sleeping with them, which eliminates the problem in the first place.  O_o

Totallyyyyyyy....😆😆😆

I love being asexual.....eliminates so many problems from life...😛

21 hours ago, Sally said:

I'm a little stunned whenever I hear about females (or in this case, males) "trapping" their partners into getting pregnant. 

It doesn't genuinely happen often. You just hear tons of people complain about it--often, men.

I hear it often, but when you do a little digging you realize that it wasn't really the case for most of such claims you'll hear about.

I.E Guy with a woman for 5-10 years, stating she "trapped him" with a baby. If you're with a woman for that long and feel trapped by her getting pregnant, why are you having unprotected sex with her in the first place? Why are you with her, in the first place (if her getting pregnant would cause you to walk)?

Reality, is when I hear this situation, its clear to me, he wanted no strings attached sex and she wanted more (hence her delight when she gets pregnant, and his sheer anger).

Only to get burned as the responsibility of her pregnancy, adds strings to the equation--hence the "trap".

I hear these cases often also, when a relationship is on the rocks and she "forgets" to take a pill, in a desperate attempt to keep him via pregnancy. Or he tries to convince her to have kids, or into marriage. The marriage part, is what you'll typically hear of more, depending on culture.

This thread took a weird turn for a second. :lol:

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

I hear these cases often also, when a relationship is on the rocks and she "forgets" to take a pill, in a desperate attempt to keep him via pregnancy. Or he tries to convince her to have kids, or into marriage. The marriage part, is what you'll typically hear of more, depending on culture.

I knew a girl in high school who was intentionally poking holes in the condoms in an effort to get preggers and keep her boyfriend "locked down."

Lost track of her after we graduated, dunno how it turned out. Pretty despicable. Lying to your SO about taking your pills is awful, but sabotaging his protection, too, is just... yikes.

57 minutes ago, Chimeric said:

but sabotaging his protection, too, is just... yikes.

That is some scary stuff. The laws are painfully difficult to enforce, but to me--this is no different than knowingly giving someone AIDS.

There is no difference to the severity of the crime in my opinion (in terms of deceit, and long term consequences, you did not agree to--and also thought you were protecting yourself against), other than in one case--its possibly fatal to the victim, long term.

I hear stories like this all the time by people who love sleeping around. I never will understand why you'd continue doing so, after finding someone poking holes in a condom or the level of drama most will gladly put up with for a night with someone. I.E Sleeping with a woman you know is cheating, only to have her man burst in, with a gun. Just why?! For the record--that guy is alive, but still does stupid shit like this, as he loves the rush it gives him.

I'm positive if more blood rushed to his brain, he'd rethink things.

But to reel the thread back in. Putting birth control in both the man and woman's hands I feel, would be nothing but good. Of course, as long as the side effects for either, are similar.

Archived