Men and Birth Control?

Chimeric

7 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

I catch hell every time I bring up the subject of lifelike bots. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why... mass-produced sexbots and lovebots would be disastrous for hetero women, regardless of what some people may say. Lesbians and gay men probably wouldn't care less.

23 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Look up enough stats on this stuff, and 26 to 40% of men, when asked, say yes, they'd consider getting a lifelike female robot. Far fewer women would consider getting a male bot.

It would be bad news for hetero women because if a guy gets a bot made to look and act like the woman of his dreams, why would he want to ditch it for the real thing?

The reason you 'catch hell' is just because you've clearly misunderstood what it is most people are seeking when they want a relationship. Sex is one thing: yes, a lot of people would bang a perfect looking sex bot who will do anything they want in bed.

However, the majority of people seeking an actual meaningful relationship require more than what a robot can give in terms of emotional intimacy, spontaneity, passion, conversation, even the messy bits like hair in the plughole or whatever. Did you know that most people who get a 'perfect' partner (someone who always does exactly what they want, when they want, and looks like a barbie or ken doll) actually get quite bored? I've even seen threads on here about that happening. A robot can fulfill a fantasy (and almost all sexual fantasies) but anyone who wants a real relationship  (which is the majority of humans, especially non-shallow ones) will still want an actual human being, someone they don't have to oil to keep functioning and who can give them the things they desire from a real human being -  those aren't the types of things that can be programmed into a robot unfortunately. A sexbot also can't give someone a family, which is something many people want from a life-long partnership.

In closing: a sex bot (male or female) is no more a threat to real human relationships than any other kind of sex toy. Sure there will be people who prefer relationships with them (in the same way there are people who prefer to have relationships with dolls, and inanimate objects, and other non-conventional objects like that), but nothing can replicate a real human relationship with all the messy bits (which are part of what make it fun!!)

Comrade F&F

Wait. How did we go from men's birth control to sexbots?

1 hour ago, Feys&Florets said:

Wait. How did we go from men's birth control to sexbots?

Ask Woodworker, who often brings up sexbots.

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Ask Woodworker, who often brings up sexbots.

I suppose bringing them up is better than rearing them :P:P

SorryNotSorry
7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I suppose bringing them up is better than rearing them :P:P

Or engineering them. That tends to result in bricks being hurled through one's windows.

Sexbots are a form of birth control. Anyone getting intimate with one of those won't, at that moment, be engaging in procreative sex 

SorryNotSorry
5 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Sexbots are a form of birth control. Anyone getting intimate with one of those won't, at that moment, be engaging in procreative sex 

True, but for pleasure junkies, they're also a source of pleasure.

Lovebots would be a different story entirely, because they'd be engineered to give their owners much-needed affection and companionship.

My computer is very useful, but it doesn't give me affection and companionship.  It's a machine, as is a robot.  

Lord Jade Cross

I think we're forgetting that bots are being developed to mimic human behavior *cough* Disney "softbots" *cough* so its not entirely farfetched to think, in time, bots will reach a stage similar to that of an android who will be able to do a great many things as humans do and the only differemce will be that you need to replace a bolt or two rather than operating to keep a human alive.

Also, since attachment forms between 2 subjects that can communicate; a bot that looks human and acts human, well its not too hard to see the possibility there. The issue that may arise will probably do more with the awareness of the situation and people will question if its ok to love a machine over another human. 

Bots will reach a stage where they will be more than just a synthetic hole and skin like toy to get off with/to.

The unpredictability of humans is what makes them human.  On the other hand, if you can't tolerate unpredictability, robots will please you.  

Lord Jade Cross
11 hours ago, Sally said:

The unpredictability of humans is what makes them human.  On the other hand, if you can't tolerate unpredictability, robots will please you.  

Humans tend to be highly unreliable in many of even the most basic situations. I'd take a bot over a human any day. 

Most mechanical things need regular servicing :P:P

Archived