why do humans drink/do drugs?

QuantumEcho

I want to expand on my original comment "because we can"......because I have chosen to experience a "dry January".  It has given me the opportunity to explore my reasons for drinking.  So far, I really don't have any other reasons other than it feels good to catch a mild alcohol buzz.  I like the euphoria alcohol gives me.  I don't need it to "drown my sorrows" or to "unwind after work" or as a "social lubricant".  Sometimes I get more motivated to do things like yardwork or cleaning the house or fixing things with a few drinks or beers.  I don't crave or even enjoy the taste of most alcoholic beverages, most of the time.  

What I have determined so far this month, is that I don't need to drink alcohol on an almost daily basis, even if it is in moderation.  But I also don't need to quit drinking, either, because I really don't feel any different without it.  But for health reasons, I will likely drink less alcohol going forward.  

Reasons for using cannabis would be an entirely different discussion. 

Find your favorite song.  Then listen to it drunk or high.  Chances are, everything you'll love about it will be amplified.   Get together with friends that you love and play a game.  Chances are you'll suck... Like the time my friend and I played Mario Kart 8 online and came in last... But it didn't matter because we were having genuine fun.   Sometimes, letting completely go of your inhibitions is great.

I really don't understand why people don't try drink and drugs. I mean there are not that many experiences like them, and they give you a whole different appreciation for the world, and how you yourself work.. Ok Alcohol is not that much of a blast, though as above, I like the drunk version of me. But LSD is just amazing. So are things like cocaine, and ecstasy has a piss awful come down but the up is something else. 

The phrase "I don't need drugs to have fun", fundamentally misses the point of them. One does not take drugs for the most part because of a need. Yeah if you don't take precautions, and you are an idiot and think "I'll have lots of heroin", then one is not likely to get addicted.. I would start with things that are not addictive so one gets to know what sort of effects there are.. I genuinely feel a bit sorry for people who have no idea what LSD is about. I mean it's been about 15 years since I did it last, there is no "need" for it at all. But the experience has enlightened the way I think that is for sure. 

• 1 month later...

Archived