Asexual Friendly Media

Ok so *gearing up a modicum of courage* ever since I "came out" to myself I've become increasingly aware that in all of the media I've... Digested, for lack of better terminology, and there has been ALOT of media because I have no social life, there has little to no LGBT+ representation and, more specifically, no Asexual representation which is a crying shame. The thing is, is there any Asexual friendly media or am I stuck in a "hell" of unnecessary sex scenes and forced romantic subplots? 

• Like 2
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

The only "asexual friendly" media I can think of is the PBS channel.

But other than that, yeah... You're stuck in a "hell" of unnecessary sex scenes and forced romantic subplots. :/

I do suggest the show bojack horseman,though. Yeah....it involves sex, but the show does have an asexual character named Todd, just in case you didn't know.

• Like 3

Try this website: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

I know it’s geared towards parents using it for their children, but I also know people with triggers use it too. If you look at the details page of any piece of media, there’s a section called “A Lot or a Little?” where you’ll find a “sexy stuff” score (how much sexual content it contains). You can also click on it to see details about what the sexual content is (is it just sex jokes, some kissing, or full blown sex scenes, etc.)

As an example this is what it it says for the animated Beauty and the Beast (to show you just how thorough they are): Lumiere comically flirts with a maid, with fooling around implied. Budding romance between Beast and Belle, with some mild flirting and kissing. Bosomy barmaids swoon for Gaston during the song about him -- which also includes some innuendo and references to his physical appeal.

• Like 4

@Xenobot Thank you so very much for not only replying but also introducing me to this website. To be completely honest, I was scared of coming off as too whiny and I appreciate that you took the time to answer me.

@Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet I'll definitely have to check that out. Thank you so much for the recommendation. :) 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, hteB said:

@Xenobot Thank you so very much for not only replying but also introducing me to this website. To be completely honest, I was scared of coming off as too whiny and I appreciate that you took the time to answer me.

@Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet I'll definitely have to check that out. Thank you so much for the recommendation. :) 

Of course, no problem! You didn’t come across as whiny at all. I think you’ll find that, overall, most people are really helpful and understanding on this forum, so you needn’t worry too much. Anyway, if people judge you for something like that, that’s a reflection of their character, not yours. :cake:

• Like 1
WinterWanderer

I usually "solve" this problem by watching mostly kids'/family-geared shows and movies.... They tend to be more imaginative and have better plots anyway, just saying. And documentaries. But yeah, there's hardly anything that doesn't involve sex.

Ooh, and I second "Bojack," because it's rare to see ace representation done so well in media. I liked it. :)

• Like 1

Representation wise, Sirens (the American version from 2014) has an ace character, but the show does have quite a bit of sexual stuff and the ace character is not in a big role. Also Shortland street (from New Zealand) also has a canon asexual character and he's (one of?) the head character(s?). From what I remember the show doesn't have any actual sex scenes but I'd have to check again. I watched it on Youtube years back so I don't remember much, but it was pretty good.

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
3 hours ago, hteB said:

You're welcome! :)

• Like 1
Perilous Poozer

I enjoyed Elementary, the focus is on friendships rather than romance, and what romantic subplots they do deploy are minor and not explicit. It’s refreshing to watch a proper representation of a male/female platonic relationship. Plus I like crime/mystery stories and deeply covet Lucy Liu’s hair and wardrobe on this show.

• Like 1
EggplantWitch

I'm afraid if you want media with canon ace rep you're going to have to look pretty far and wide. But as others have said, kids' stuff is great at the moment! In case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard Steven Universe in particular is pretty queer and in my opinion has some strong arguments to be made that some of the characters are ace, based on the way the show's metaphor for relationships handles them (Greg and Peridot, in case anyone was wondering). Superhero cartoons are also often fairly free of romance subplots - as are most shows that have a main demographic of young boys.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

The only "asexual friendly" media I can think of is the PBS channel.

But other than that, yeah... You're stuck in a "hell" of unnecessary sex scenes and forced romantic subplots. :/

I do suggest the show bojack horseman,though. Yeah....it involves sex, but the show does have an asexual character named Todd, just in case you didn't know.

You obviously haven’t watched PBS, which has since it’s creation pushed boundaries over the years. 

• Like 1

Is there some reason asexuals want to isolate themselves from the world they live in? Is that really healthy, to ignore 99 percent of society. How do we learn to accept each other if we want to avoid things about others? Let me pose this question, how would you react to a straight person who would ask what media to avoid that had gay themes? Ah, I thought so.  

1 minute ago, Just like Jughead said:

Is there some reason asexuals want to isolate themselves from the world they live in? Is that really healthy, to ignore 99 percent of society. How do we learn to accept each other if we want to avoid things about others? Let me pose this question, how would you react to a straight person who would ask what media to avoid that had gay themes? Ah, I thought so.  

I personally don't speak for any Asexual except for myself and I just would like to say that you make a valid point about a straight person avoiding gay themes in media and you're right I would judge them for that but I also don't know the situation they're in or the reason they are searching for such media, not that it would be hard find, whether it is because they're Homophobic or for more innocent reasons. As for isolating myself, I live in the real world every day with my bigoted family in the least diverse state in the U.S.A., none of my friends truly accept me for who I am though I am eternally grateful that I have any friends at all, and I'm in high school where you're not normal if you're not having sex and going to parties or getting high on the weekends. Personally, and I emphasize personally, I'm just trying to find something Asexual friendly so when I watch t.v. or read a book the creeping emptiness doesn't consume me whenever there is an unnecessary sex scene or a forced romantic subplot.

Please don't take this as anything other than the reasoning behind my original post. I truly mean no offense and would probably curl up and die if I came off as such. I understand where you're coming from and I hope you now know where I'm coming from as well.

• Like 3
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, Just like Jughead said:

You obviously haven’t watched PBS, which has since it’s creation pushed boundaries over the years. 

I mainly watch PBS world, and from what I have watched, it isn't so bad, at least for me.

13 hours ago, Just like Jughead said:

Is there some reason asexuals want to isolate themselves from the world they live in? Is that really healthy, to ignore 99 percent of society.

Well, it's not possible to ignore the 99%, because it's literally everywhere.  I can go watch a sex-free movie at the theater, but I'll still have to sit through 15 minutes of racy trailers.  That's just one example...

Personally, if I'm going to spend precious free time on entertainment, I'm not going to choose entertainment that's not interesting to me.  Likewise, if others want to avoid movies with asexual themes (assuming such things exist), that's their choice.

• Like 1