Pramana

AVEN Addiction/Dependency

Pramana

I thought I would start a thread on this topic because it has arisen frequently enough to suggest a genuine issue that merits discussion. By AVEN addiction/dependency, I'm referring to cases where members have wanted to quit or reduce their AVEN usage, but have been unable to do so without outside assistance. Examples include situations where:

– Members declare an intention to quit, and delete all content from their profiles to suggest finality, only to return a few days later.
– Members request a temporary site ban so they can stop using the site for a brief period.
– Members deliberately break ToS repeatedly so they will be permanently banned (there has been at least one high profile case in AVEN history, and I've since heard from a couple of other members who have considered this option).

I'm unsure what, if anything, might be done to address this issue? Perhaps changes to the rules regarding temporary bans, so that members can also request permanent bans? But I can foresee how introducing this option would create its own issues, because what happens when members change their minds?

On that note, I'll extend an invitation for ideas regarding this matter.

Danger Dove

tumblr_op76w77XPs1ts62ueo1_500.jpg

TheAP

You can log out any time you like, but you can never leave.

StormySky

I use this site as an emotional crutch.

Snao Cone

Ultimately people are responsible for changing their own habits. AVEN goes beyond what many other sites do to make this sort of thing easier.

Polygon

I guess there are worse things a person could be addicted to than shitposting online. 

Unidimensional identities are dangerous, though. I'd worry for anyone whose whole life revolved around any single thing; lose that one thing and it's Depression Central. 

Nevyn

If AVEN were to allow members to request a temporary ban then make the member stick to it. No backsies.

Philip027

I don't understand what the issue is with the people you describe, and I can only see it as a form of trolling tbh.

The people who are just like "I'm going to cause trouble until I'm banned" definitely should just receive a ban before they're able to cause trouble, as far as I'm concerned.

E is for E

I've encountered this on other forums before. In one such instance a user found a simple but effective way to cut ties, and that was by scrambling their password with their eyes closed and then signing off for good. Of course having your account connected via email often renders this tactic moot nowadays. Speaking from experience, I've seen a trend in various users that have requested permanent bans and then one day come back. They start on a downhill slope and end up right back where they left off, requesting another permanent ban in due time.

If you were to impliment permanent bans, I would reccommend that they forever remain permanent and advised as such. No necromantic account revives and then tearful goodbyes when you have to inevitably put the corpse down yet again.

Kumoku

One thing I've seen implemented on other forums is temporary "self freezing" where staff will temporarily ban the IP address (say for a month) and then take off the ban.

Yato

I admit I am addicted to AVEN as a time passer. Like, I am not a person of many hobbies, and or interests. I have way too much free time sometimes.  I either got nothing to do but stuff I don't want to do right now, or I can get on AVEN. I generally choose AVEN, because its painless and I don't have to really put much effort into it. 

Though that is going to change soon.

Skycaptain

Serious answer to the question 

Members may request that their access to the site is blocked, either temporarily or permanently. All that needs to be done is send an admod a PM, or email AVEN. It may take a day or so to implement as only administrator level and higher actually have the tools to do this, moderators can forward requests. 

Likewise the said member can have their access reinstated, and unless caught we can do nothing about their creating a second account 

FictoVore.

It's no different than having a fallout with a parent or friend or whatever, you have an argument then say you hate that person and that you're never speaking to them again, then a few days later you're talking to them again like nothing happened. Many people continue this pattern in relationships for years, decades even. even when there are more good times than bad. AVEN is the same. People get very angry or upset at a person or situation here, so say they're never coming back (they say it in the heat of the moment) then when they've calmed down a few days later they want to come back again. I would say it's not so much addiction as regular human nature.

Jayce

I'm here on AVEN because i read this thing:

c7b.jpg

Sally
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Members may request that their access to the site is blocked, either temporarily or permanently. All that needs to be done is send an admod a PM, or email AVEN. It may take a day or so to implement as only administrator level and higher actually have the tools to do this, moderators can forward requests. 

Likewise the said member can have their access reinstated, and unless caught we can do nothing about their creating a second account 

If you're blocked, how can you get your access back?  

FictoVore.
23 minutes ago, Sally said:

There is a contact address on the front page, you can email AVEN using that address even if you're blocked from the actual site (totally haven't done that before, lol)

Telecaster68

If AVEN mods /admins are going to take parental type responsibilities on themselves, like 'confiscating' access not for AVEN's benefit but for the posters, they need to be consistent parents and stick to decisions, not cave at when the 'child' starts whining. 

Kyon.

I don’t see this as an issue at all. 

It’s something that doesn’t affect the vast majority of members and very little time is spent on it.

It doesn’t affect AVEN negatively (except if people were to intentionally go wild to try to get banned) - it’s intended to be supportive of members and that’s a good thing. 

It’s not worth worrying about.

Homer
12 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Ultimately people are responsible for changing their own habits. AVEN goes beyond what many other sites do to make this sort of thing easier.

5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

These two.

At the end of the day, everyone is responsible for their own actions. If someone needs help dealing with an addiction to AVEN, AVEN itself would be the wrong place to start looking for help anyway. You'd need help from the outside and AVEN can't provide that. It would be like asking your dealer to help you get away from your addiction. AVEN already offers a lot of tools to manage your time on here and there's only so much a site can do.

Telecaster68
1 hour ago, Homer said:

everyone is responsible for their own actions

AVEN crossed this line a long time ago, understandably, since there are a lot of fairly young posters, both chronologically and emotionally and they can be vulnerable. But given that's the situation, ducking out of say, agreed month-long bans doesn't really cut it once they've set up this role of being a bit loco parentus. It's inconsistent. 

Muledeer

I can think of many more "harmful" addictions than reading and posting on an internet forum.

Pramana

I gather from some of the above comments that this issue is common to online forums. I can see how the medium features certain characteristics conducive to habit formation (instant gratification through continual provision of rewards, easy and consistent ability to socialize).

Alejandrogynous

19 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I gather from some of the above comments that this issue is common to online forums. I can see how the medium features certain characteristics conducive to habit formation (instant gratification through continual provision of rewards, easy and consistent ability to socialize).

It's hardly just an online forum thing. People do this all the time, everywhere, with all sorts of things. My sister regularly deletes social media apps to get rid of the distraction only to download them again in a week or two. I avoid certain isles of the grocery store because I know that once I'm there, I can't resist unhealthy snacks. I'm not always successful. Lots of people delete their ex's numbers so they're not tempted to contact them in moments of weakness. It's normal. 

iff
9 hours ago, Sally said:

As ficto said, people can e-mail aven to regain access.

18 hours ago, Pramana said:

I thought I would start a thread on this topic because it has arisen frequently enough to suggest a genuine issue that merits discussion. By AVEN addiction/dependency, I'm referring to cases where members have wanted to quit or reduce their AVEN usage, but have been unable to do so without outside assistance. Examples include situations where:

– Members declare an intention to quit, and delete all content from their profiles to suggest finality, only to return a few days later.
– Members request a temporary site ban so they can stop using the site for a brief period.
– Members deliberately break ToS repeatedly so they will be permanently banned (there has been at least one high profile case in AVEN history, and I've since heard from a couple of other members who have considered this option).

I'm unsure what, if anything, might be done to address this issue? Perhaps changes to the rules regarding temporary bans, so that members can also request permanent bans? 

We have this in site info centre for deactivation and deletion requests.

Serran
5 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

AVEN crossed this line a long time ago, understandably, since there are a lot of fairly young posters, both chronologically and emotionally and they can be vulnerable. But given that's the situation, ducking out of say, agreed month-long bans doesn't really cut it once they've set up this role of being a bit loco parentus. It's inconsistent. 

The agreement can include a clause that the ban cannot be overturned for X period, even if requested, if the user wants it to. But, we don't implement it  without consent of the user.

Janus DarkFox

Fits a lot of drama looking back over the years, and declass.  Goes in line with a few who discover themselves as sexual, only to use asexuality on it's now various lines of social communications as a crutch for drama in various forms, the abrasive affect of non-acceptance of sexual can be hard to swallow for a few with how asexuality is.

Giving exactly what a member wants will not solve the problem, looking into themselves introspectively, or an encouragement of such as to why to get deeper to the point of such addiction, could be suggestible if such ad-mod discipline is necessary.